Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    It depends year to year. This past year we gambled on going earlier so we could get 2+ weeks in and hit it perfectly. First 2 weeks of July and Garbo zone was just drying out and lower mt was still tacky. Got some rain to refresh, but also had the warmest weather in 3 years of trips. Lots of lake time this year which was our first in the 3 years. After that it was really dry until CW. We were so glad we were able to hit it while we did. We never imagined we would be able to do TOW this year since the opening had been early Aug the previous year, but it opened our last day of riding which was perfect (July 13). The previous 2 years it was really wet up until and at the beginning of our trips (end of July both years) and Garbo was just finishing drying up. This year it got warm in May, but the previous 2 years the snowpack was much bigger and it didn't get as warm early. We waited until late April to book this years trip so we could see what the snowpack was looking like. Crowds were about the same during all 3 years. Trails close before CW and after for work, so we've never wanted to get in the middle of that. By end of July there already are closures as they do refreshes on trails and the brake bumps on blue trails are deeper then they are earlier in the summer. Sounds like crowds are the lowest towards the end of the season and people like to ride then, but if I was trying to hit the best weather for maximum riding I want to be there in the summer. That and I'm from Colorado and don't love the really wet and sloppy conditions. I never can get enough speed to hit things like I want to. Have fun!
    Last edited by LaBelle23; 09-09-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Hit the bike park yesterday for the second time this summer, with this being my first time on a mountain bike of any sort since riding a rigid XC bike as a kid in the early 90's around Calgary/Canmore. Wow, I knew I'd like it but it's just ridiculous amounts of fun. By the end of day 2 I was getting a feel for the flow of jumps on Crank it up and Blue Velvet (while looking like a boss in my rental armor with no jersey).

Now I need to do a bunch of research to figure out what kind of bike I should look at for next year. For a guy that just wants to buy one bike (for now) that can handle some uphill/mixed trails, north shore evening rides as well as the bike park, pure DH doesn't seem to make sense. I was riding a medium Demo 8 rental and felt like I could do anything, confidence inspiring for a noob. Is an enduro bike the answer or just a buzzword? Anyway, that's for another thread, still have a smile on my face from all the fun and can't believe I waited this long to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Hit the bike park yesterday for the second time this summer, with this being my first time on a mountain bike of any sort since riding a rigid XC bike as a kid in the early 90's around Calgary/Canmore. Wow, I knew I'd like it but it's just ridiculous amounts of fun. By the end of day 2 I was getting a feel for the flow of jumps on Crank it up and Blue Velvet (while looking like a boss in my rental armor with no jersey).

Now I need to do a bunch of research to figure out what kind of bike I should look at for next year. For a guy that just wants to buy one bike (for now) that can handle some uphill/mixed trails, north shore evening rides as well as the bike park, pure DH doesn't seem to make sense. I was riding a medium Demo 8 rental and felt like I could do anything, confidence inspiring for a noob. Is an enduro bike the answer or just a buzzword? Anyway, that's for another thread, still have a smile on my face from all the fun and can't believe I waited this long to try it.
    The Giant Store on 4th does free demos. You can try a Reign or a Trance 29er and see what's for you. Most people around here ride bikes with 5-6 inches of travel that weigh in the 28-32 lb range. You should be pretty much able to handle anything with a bike like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    After all LeeLau's trash talking I'm looking into doing a two week trip to Whistler next year. What would be the best time of year to be there considering weather, trail conditions and crowds?
    First two weeks of Sept, right now the park is awesome. Really anytime July-mid sept is good, crowds usually aren't that big a deal.

And the dude looking for a 'do it all' bike, get whatever 160mm travel 'all mountain/enduro/whatever' bike is the best deal, I just got a kona process and rode the park today on it great, although I also have a downhill bike. Climbs good enough for me. If you are gunna ride the bikepark a lot a proper DH bike will hold up to the abuse better.
    Last edited by kevin267; 09-09-2013 at 07:50 PM.

After all LeeLau's trash talking I'm looking into doing a two week trip to Whistler next year. What would be the best time of year to be there considering weather, trail conditions and crowds?

!!!!!! I am headed back to either Wallis or suedtirol next year. Lets make sure to not miss each other. we can exchange knaubocken recipes

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    !!!!!! I am headed back to either Wallis or suedtirol next year. Lets make sure to not miss each other. we can exchange knaubocken recipes
    Deal Will be a while before anything is locked in at this end, just getting a rough idea for the minute so I can convince a few others to join the adventure.

Another Q. I know you can rent decent DH bikes, but what about all-mtn/enduro type bikes? What sort of daily rates does something nice run? We'll probably want to do some pedalling but bringing two bikes from Europe is going to be a pain & probably expensive.

Funny, I was up there one time and met a German couple in the parking lot who brought their own bikes on their annual vacations! They were only riding the park though.

Deal Will be a while before anything is locked in at this end, just getting a rough idea for the minute so I can convince a few others to join the adventure.

Another Q. I know you can rent decent DH bikes, but what about all-mtn/enduro type bikes? What sort of daily rates does something nice run? We'll probably want to do some pedalling but bringing two bikes from Europe is going to be a pain & probably expensive.
    It's about $70 for something decent. It's well worth it to check out some of the pedal trails.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    It's about $70 for something decent. It's well worth it to check out some of the pedal trails.
    You can get a 4 hour rental from W/B's XC bike fleet for about $40 (Giant Trance X1 26 or 29 with X9/XT and dropper post).

yup, that would work too. not quite the "daily" rate that he asked about though. 4 hours is probably plenty of time if you know where you're going or have a guide.

Anyone want to ride some westside trails on Sunday? I'm heading out for a ride and looking for a partner.

im riding again bitches, so if you want to get schooled, lets do some laps!

actually, ill just make you ride behind me in case i fall and break myself again.

Thanks D(C) and Kevin for the tips. Gonna scout out used and previous year all-mountain models this fall/winter and try to get a deal for next season.

Hopefully make it up to the bike park once more in October when I am up that way for a wedding.

Where the hell are all the people? Trails are tacky. They were so dry the dirt absorbed all the rain gratefully.

That new A-line work is redonkulous. The berms are so deep you regret every bit of braking you did before you hit them - it seems like you can sail into them forever. The work's tightening up now

Some deals going on for the last weekend of Top of the World and for private lessons. Almost in the too good to be true category

new ALine is mint! berms are outrageous, and the jump is probably the best one on the trail

the new jumps on freight train are sweet too. new stuff is all BIG.

Raining here today and I melt like sugar so rode dry Pemberton trails

First day in the park in a couple weeks, rain went away for the most part and it was surprisingly good, the new work is awesome!

So does the new Aline stuff bypass that high speed baby head road?

Bypasses like half if it

And the rest of that road has been really smoothed out. Kind of a bummer, I liked that rough fast section.

The drifty right towards the bottom was always sporty

Thankfully you can still slam into that at Mach stupid.

THe drifty part where you drift into that little berm at the end is still there. Really fun right now

Sick thread! I have MTB envy, hollee crap

Winter is coming.

Meanwhile though it's still warm in the park

Dirt is soooo tacky right now

It's so tacky you can't even drift the berms

First world problems - rail instead of drift