Free Camping in So Cal?

sup, hippies. im sitting in oceanside, trying to figure out where to stay tonight. anyone have any recs for around here, san diego, or coastal points further north. dont need anything remotely fancy. just somewhere to set up a couple tents.
    any deserted beaches we should know about? dont worry, we dont know how to surf so we wont steal your waves.
    any general suggestions. mostly just bumming around for a few weeks.
    thanks, yall!
    "he doesn't know to behold what the cold frost can do..."

lot of inexpensive lodging just a few miles south.
    cuervo & ceviche too
    b

Many of the state beaches have overflow camping. Not free, but cheap. Usually you can't go in until 5 or 6 and have to be put by 8 or 9. Not fancy, usually just a dirt lot.

There is not much free camping in So Cal, it is just too damn crowded here. Walmart parking lots for RVs, but doubt they allow tents.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

how about dog friendly beaches?

In San Diego you have a leash free dog beach on the northern most part of Ocean Beach same with the northern most part of Coronado's beach just south of north island.

Plenty of free camping spots on skid row. There's nothing 'free' from San Diego to Santa Barbara. Hell, there's nothing undeveloped in that stretch either, except for Camp Pendelton. Don't camp there. The Marines get all cranky if you try it.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    There's nothing 'free' from San Diego to Santa Barbara. Hell, there's nothing undeveloped in that stretch either
    there were some backcountry campsites in the Santa Monica's. I think those burnt a couple weeks ago. If you are careful you could possibly sleep on one of the beachs (aka a sleeping bag showing up after dark). Bums do it successful.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    lot of inexpensive lodging just a few miles south.
    cuervo & ceviche too
    b
    K38 and K55
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    If you are careful you could possibly sleep on one of the beachs (aka a sleeping bag showing up after dark). Bums do it successful.
    There's guys out there by Pico every night, it's kinda funny watching the beach sweeper/raker/whatever they call them tractors going around them in the AM.

thanks all. today i saw a buncha dolphins and boogie boarded.
    we are seriously considering the bum route.

If you are new to the ocean, head down to La Jolla's Children's Pool and see the Harbor Seals.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

temps. look nice all week, upper 60*s low 70*s, you have my blessing
    b

There's a shit-ton of camping just south of San Onofre ("giant titties"). Dunno about free, though, and I forget the exit from the freeway. It will be packed as Memorial Day approaches. There's a dog beach in Del Mar, but no camping. The problem with North County is that the beaches are shallow- i.e., not very wide. You really don't want to be there when the tide rolls in.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    K38 and K55
    You can't even camp for free in Mex anymore unless you go further south than K55. Not sure I would want to anymore either.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

lots of bums set up camp under the junction of the 8 and 805 in SD, right on the river

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    lots of bums set up camp under the junction of the 8 and 805 in SD, right on the river
    I think you are thinking the 8 and 5 junction. Saw a cop pulling a body out from under that overpass yesterday morning on the way to OB.

The 8/805 junction is elevated way up in the air and has a bunch of buildings and parking lots under it.

Nateski- you still around?

Interesting thread

For future reference (tho no where near the beach) I saw some free camping in the canyons east of Mecca. Will work on a TR for a hike we did in that area. Pretty stunning hike, especially for being in SoCal.

camping

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    There's a shit-ton of camping just south of San Onofre ("giant titties"). Dunno about free, though, and I forget the exit from the freeway. It will be packed as Memorial Day approaches. There's a dog beach in Del Mar, but no camping. The problem with North County is that the beaches are shallow- i.e., not very wide. You really don't want to be there when the tide rolls in.

i know exactly where you are talking about. i pass there when i cycle to dana point. unfortunately you have to pay to camp there. the ranger station is just south of the power plant

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Tread hijack. How about free parking / incognito vehicle camping anywhere on pacific coast hwy. Any part of the coast will work.

Blacks beach with sleeping bag only (not car or tent).

To me, incognito truck/van camping is anywhere not too upscale neighborhood beach community where overnight parking is allowed. If you're near a bar scene, you can play off that you are sleeping it off rather than driving.....

Lots of fire roads above Castaic that work. More like NorthernSoCal but useful if you are rushing the 5 and need a place to crash.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    If you are new to the ocean, head down to La Jolla's Children's Pool and see the Harbor Seals.
    I heard a great podcast of This American Life about this place. To feed or not to feed the Seals???............