Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Heh, we had wholesales that came to PA just to buy all the high mileage Subies...to bring them back to Montana specifically. 99K is NOT a lot for a Subie.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Austin: have you been to the new "dealer" in Big Sky yet ?

20-something chick whose Daddy owns owns a bunch of Subaru dealerships nationwide. Daddy did not like the idea of his daughter just being a trust funder ski bum, so he makes her sit in the "showroom" all day.

Chick is bored out of her mind. It's in that little shopping area between the liquor store and Grizzly Outfitters. She is pretty liberal with the Subaru schwag, gave me some free key chains and such that the Bozeman dealer wanted to charge me for.
    Oh yeah! I saw that little shop with an Audi sitting inside, but couldn't honestly figure out what the deal with that place was. Is it a legit dealer? Worth my time? Might as well go chat with her for some Subaru schwag. Haha.

Hey Austin: it's still there !
    Nice! However, it's an STI which is above my current price range. I was shooting for a regular WRX since they are so much cheaper. Also doesn't 36k seem a bit steep for a used car? That's pretty much the price for a brand new one, and even new Audi/BMW pricing territory! Still a pretty sick car, tho. Would love to have one!

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Oh yeah! I saw that little shop with an Audi sitting inside, but couldn't honestly figure out what the deal with that place was. Is it a legit dealer? Worth my time? Might as well go chat with her for some Subaru schwag. Haha.
    Yeah, it is a legit dealer. She has an Outback in there, plus some sort of Audi.

I think the deal is, come in there and browse, then pick up your car at one of Daddy's dealerships nationwide.

I know, I know, ...worthless without pics of the 20-something spoiled Daddy's girl...
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Heh, we had wholesales that came to PA just to buy all the high mileage Subies...to bring them back to Montana specifically. 99K is NOT a lot for a Subie.
    Which is why I am on the fence about selling it or keeping it. I just have new car fever because of the new Crosstrek. I really like the looks of them, makes my Outback look boring.

Hey Phil, thanks for selling me those Gotama's... That was a screaming deal !
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Which is why I am on the fence about selling it or keeping it. I just have new car fever because of the new Crosstrek. I really like the looks of them, makes my Outback look boring.

Hey Phil, thanks for selling me those Gotama's... That was a screaming deal !
    Take a step away from the "sell" button. Invest in maybe a new set of wheels/sneakers for the 09, a detail and maybe a short shift kit...maybe $1K invested and it will feel like a new car WITHOUT that pesky car payment. IMHO, the 06-09 is THE BEST generation on LEgacy/Outback ever offered.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I just want to run it on fryer grease. That way, when my shift is over at the local mcd's, I can maybe siphon enough off to get back to my parents house.

Slight thread jack: It's pretty much out of the question to run veg in anything released from 2008 on. Maybe with a lot of work a Powerstroke, but the later incarnation of that engine is a POS.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Take a step away from the "sell" button. Invest in maybe a new set of wheels/sneakers for the 09, a detail and maybe a short shift kit...maybe $1K invested and it will feel like a new car WITHOUT that pesky car payment. IMHO, the 06-09 is THE BEST generation on LEgacy/Outback ever offered.
    Agreed. I am NOT a fan of the current generation Outback, but would totally buy an 06-09 (esp with a turbo and a manual!). My cars are paid off, reliable, drive great, and I absolutely love 'em, but sadly only need to get rid of them because they're worthless half the year here and I just don't have the garage space for them. Gotta get a daily driver with awd. If I had Harry's car, I'd probably stick with it a while longer. Unless I got enough money on my trade to almost pay for the new one. Then I'd sell. I hate car payments!

If you have an 09 Outback, you should just keep it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

For those looking for a crosstrek, looks like there will be a used one for sale in Washington, "minor water damage"

Agreed. I am NOT a fan of the current generation Outback, but would totally buy an 06-09 (esp with a turbo and a manual!).
    theres an 09 OBXT 5MT hangin out at a seattle dealer right now. think it was ~20k. also an 05/06 LGT 5MT wagon with 35k on it down in oregon in the same pice range.

im gonna drive my 06 5MT legacy wagon into the ground. 120k nothing but required maint. 30mpg+ highway all day and fun in the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    theres an 09 OBXT 5MT hangin out at a seattle dealer right now. think it was ~20k. also an 05/06 LGT 5MT wagon with 35k on it down in oregon in the same pice range.

im gonna drive my 06 5MT legacy wagon into the ground. 120k nothing but required maint. 30mpg+ highway all day and fun in the corners.
    That sounds great. Is it just me or are all the good used cars in the Seattle area? Every time I do a nationwide search on Autotrader, seems that most of the right cars for me seem to be located there. It's a 700 mile trip from here, but just might be worth it for the right vehicle! Will need to sell my cars first so I have the cash in hand to play ball, but shopping in Washington just might have to be my game plan. Shopping for cars in Montana sucks.

aint it the truth. i bought about 15 months ago living in spokane and was looking in MT ID and WA- 6 mo search- seattle really had the only inventory worth my time. once in a while something pops up in spokane. despite being over-priced when compared nationally (due to awd/hippy demand here) prices are still far better here than anything you'll find east of the cascades. sheer volume of supply. the only other model i looked at was the 07-08 forrester xt sport, on some lower springs thatd be a fun car, but no wagon.

First little road trip last night - avg'd 36.5 mpg over about 330 miles. Flat.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by alTAos View Post
    For those looking for a crosstrek, looks like there will be a used one for sale in Washington, "minor water damage"

HA!

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    HA!
    That's I5 north of Seattle. You won't be laughing when you try to drive from Seattle to Whistler next winter.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    First little road trip last night - avg'd 36.5 mpg over about 330 miles. Flat.
    Damn! I wish it was flat here. I just did a nice 400 mile round trip and pulled 33.1 and I was thrilled. I had the AC on most of the way out and that killed it and a few minor traffic jams on the way back didn't help either. What was your average speed? I find that high 50's is where it shines and as soon as I have to push 70 (or more) it starts to hurt.

You do know that the dash readout is anywhere from 1.2-1.6 high right?

33mpg in an American spec'd Subaru is pretty damn fantastic, let alone 36.5!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    They must have borrowed the computation formula from Toyota.

Agreed. I am NOT a fan of the current generation Outback, but would totally buy an 06-09 (esp with a turbo and a manual!). My cars are paid off, reliable, drive great, and I absolutely love 'em, but sadly only need to get rid of them because they're worthless half the year here and I just don't have the garage space for them. Gotta get a daily driver with awd. If I had Harry's car, I'd probably stick with it a while longer. Unless I got enough money on my trade to almost pay for the new one. Then I'd sell. I hate car payments!

I just bought a new Forester in the winter, cheap off of lease. Was looking at the Crosstek, but, dealers were dicking me big time, and, I needed a car quickly. I would have preferred the Outback, since it sits lower and has a longer cargo area for skis, but, one thing, and one thing only kept me away - the damned roof rack. They put that stupid thing on present generation Outbacks (I've owned two earlier versions), and refuse to acknowledge the mistake, and it's such a cheap fix. Just give two solid rails, and I'll put the fucking rack system on. Nope. Try putting a decent system up there with that base rack they give you, and, you can't. Check out the Thule and Yakima web sites. It's like the outback doesn't even exist. A fucking Outback! The granola crunching hippie skier's/mountain biker's/ outdoorsy car of the ages, and they fucked this up. No way would I put a box up there with four pair of skis and feel confident it won't become a missile on the highway someday. Besides that, there's no room for a bike next to it. Stupid Japs.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    They must have borrowed the computation formula from Toyota.
    Actually I think it has to do with the tire size. The Impreza has slightly smaller diameter tires and I don't think they reprogrammed that for the larger size on the XV. My odo on the other hand seems to be spot on according to measured miles on the interstate.

So far for 17k miles I'm averaging 28.3 but the last ten tanks or so since the winter gas is gone have been 30+. When I was looking at cars last fall I wanted to get as close to 30 as I could and still have a car that would get me where I wanted to go when I wanted to go there. This is the first car I've owned that doesn't seem to benefit from drafting though which is kind of weird.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post

Nope - but I do now!

When I gassed up, I was at 34.2 mpg per the gauge, and I calculated 33.4. I'm not disappointed at all, considering I only had 74 miles on it pre-trip. It's better than my 2010 AWD Vibe was by a significant margin.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I just bought a new Forester in the winter, cheap off of lease. Was looking at the Crosstek, but, dealers were dicking me big time, and, I needed a car quickly. I would have preferred the Outback, since it sits lower and has a longer cargo area for skis, but, one thing, and one thing only kept me away - the damned roof rack. They put that stupid thing on present generation Outbacks (I've owned two earlier versions), and refuse to acknowledge the mistake, and it's such a cheap fix. Just give two solid rails, and I'll put the fucking rack system on. Nope. Try putting a decent system up there with that base rack they give you, and, you can't. Check out the Thule and Yakima web sites. It's like the outback doesn't even exist. A fucking Outback! The granola crunching hippie skier's/mountain biker's/ outdoorsy car of the ages, and they fucked this up. No way would I put a box up there with four pair of skis and feel confident it won't become a missile on the highway someday. Besides that, there's no room for a bike next to it. Stupid Japs.
    Aside from the racism, I completely agree with this rant about the new Outback's roof rack. The Crosstrek's roof rails are way more useful and better looking.

picking up an orange crosstrek cvt tomorrow morning. going rate seems to be around 5% off msrp despite the fact that they seem to sell them within a week of arrival on the lot.

they are popping up a lot more frequently around here now. neighbor bought one to replace his newish impreza. he was tired of breaking things under the front of the car getting to trailheads etc.

Benny, roof racks are for skis, hitch racks are for bikes. another plus of the crosstrek is that a hitch rack has plenty of ground clearance compared to typical compact car.

PS the Shingle Springs Subaru dealer was great to deal with and worth the drive from up here. Test drive last month: "Here are the keys. Take your time out there...just bring it back please." Arranging the price was completely straightforward and quick via email. Payment: "Whatever you prefer. Personal check is fine.". Ok.
    Last edited by frorider; 06-03-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I had a hitch rack on my first Outback. Hated it. Heavy, so it really fucked up the handling (never put so much weight so far from the polar center of a car), and always on and off and in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Benny,hitch racks are for bikes.
    Sure, if you want your $$$$$$$ bike to act as a bumper.

I have nothing else to add to this soon to be HOF thread except this; I looked at the crossrek for my wife's next car to replace a 1998 forester, but have been kicking myself in the ass since 2008 for buying an underpowered impreza 2.5i instead of a WRX. Not making that mistake again. I don't need the additional clearance, so why pay 2-4k more for a raised and equally underpowered impreza?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.