Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ^^^ I don't think the eastern OR onion farmers feel that way...

Can Monsanto and GMO's start WW III? The Russians say maybe....

http://topinfopost.com/2013/05/28/ru...obama-monsanto

The shocking minutes relating to President Putin’s meeting this past week with US Secretary of State John Kerry reveal the Russian leaders “extreme outrage” over the Obama regimes continued protection of global seed and plant bio-genetic giants Syngenta and Monsanto in the face of a growing “bee apocalypse” that the Kremlin warns “will most certainly” lead to world war....
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I was putting togeter growing contracts in peru and chile for off season sweet onions for 4 yrs.

Before i exited. the biz I was competing with eastern oregon growers who are trying to grow sweet onions through. december with some new monsanto seed that defies all laws of nature and will grow into the winter. Not a long day onion, not a short day. A mutant. Local saint louis grocery store Diebergs pArtnered with them early on and were happy to pull everything of mine to support monsatos experiment on you. Also, its not actually a sweet Onion, its some shitty yellow they market as sweet.

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pa...d-options.aspx
    If they can provide a local solution, without all the fossil fuels burned to transport them, isn't that a net positive?

Seems a lot of anti-GMO perhaps pro-organics ignore the whole climate change issue in favor of their own hyperbole. Not only that, the whole world can't be fed on organically grown produce. Its not sustainable on a large scale and only makes sense to the elites who can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    ...their own hyperbole.
    Not only that, the whole world can't be fed on organically grown produce. Its not sustainable on a large scale and only makes sense to the elites who can afford it.
    This was funny, but I do agree with your take on local solutions, we need to change our tune so that sweet onions from chile aren't the answer for the mid-winter blahs.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Not only that, the whole world can't be fed on organically grown produce.
    Not true. This is the problem. Local food production on smaller scales is the solution to getting rid of transportation emissions.

Perhaps implementing the USDA organic documentation would be impossible.

Changing peoples understanding of what a sustainable diet is (education of what is in season near them etc). In most of the world that is not elite enough to eat food that got shipped there, organic is the only affordable option because they can't afford patented seeds or patented chemicals.

Sure whole foods is not the answer. But neither is GMO mono-crops owned by a monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by sftc View Post
    Can Monsanto and GMO's start WW III? The Russians say maybe....

http://topinfopost.com/2013/05/28/ru...obama-monsanto
    hmmm, did that really happen. the only references i can find of it are on the conspiracy theory network (of which topinfopost is a part), and they tend to make shit up to sell ads.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

FYI, Getting up at 9AM Saturday Morning to be there by 10 just turned out to be impossible for me. I blew it off.

Woke up @ 11ish Saturday and thought Oh well. Watched some TV, then pushed some leaves and dirt around the yard in the afternoon. Still have not planted Tomato's yet.
    \
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

^^^GMO tomatoes?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    FYI, Getting up at 9AM Saturday Morning to be there by 10 just turned out to be impossible for me. I blew it off.

Woke up @ 11ish Saturday and thought Oh well. Watched some TV, then pushed some leaves and dirt around the yard in the afternoon. Still have not planted Tomato's yet.
    \
    Total Fail - all this drivel and you couldn't even get up in time to bring us pics of hot hippy chicks.

so now the russians are saying the bee apocalypse is upon us and most certainly we will all die from starvation in 7-12 years.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Late to the party.

Some good GMO info in here. Anyone care to share more?

I'm a little surprised that there is basically no respected studies supporting the antiGMO side.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    ...I'm a little surprised that there is basically no respected studies supporting the antiGMO side.

Am I missing something?
    no money in it + monsantomafia suppressing you at every turn = good luck!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

surviving in the city, powered by wellbutrin

Late to the party.

I'm a little surprised that there is basically no respected studies supporting the antiGMO side.

Am I missing something?
    I have a couple people on my facebook that go on and on about the dangers of eating gmo food but they are smokers and I see no posts from them about that very real risk. I have an open mind and worry mostly about unintentional gene propagation but with billions of people to feed on a planet with a changing climate these crops are probably going to keep billions from starving - at least for a while. Watching crops wither and then still produce through the amazing drought last summer here in Iowa was amazing and then this summer we have had the wettest spring and early summer in history. Planting stuff that can handle these extremes and still produce is the new reality - if we want to eat that is. A lot of fields in northern Iowa will get nothing but cover crops this summer because they are too wet to work - still.

Late to the party.

Am I missing something?
    They bought their way around peer review because real scientists aren't really peers of the corporate/political types running things.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...30611?irpc=932

This is already being called hogwash by the mass media.

The great thing is that you can't do a gmo study without permission from the patent holder of the seed. Like not being able to study tobacco without consent from marlboro.

I'm stoked to see all the gmo loving hipsters in here feeling ironic by loving gmos since all the non cool people hate them. Have fun sucking down round up and having autistic children.

There's nothing that correlates the gmo to being bad for you. There's no way monsanto will let you do a real study on how your body is digesting the proteins. It's the sucking down of all those sweet herbicides and pesticides that'll get ya.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

bklyn is online now who guards the guardians?
    Is anyone in this thread saying they love GMO?
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

More of a pbr and flannel fueled retort that says I'm not gonna agree because that wouldn't be ironic.

Anyone notice the hipster girls are wearing cut off, high waisted mom jeans now? So gross.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    They bought their way around peer review because real scientists aren't really peers of the corporate/political types running things.

Is that why there is general scientific consensus on global warming?

There's some irony for you.. The same people buying into global warming are probably against GMO. Selective science.

I believe there are actually studies that have been done on global warming.
    However, gmo was allowed into the food chain without any studies.
    Why else would a law be passed protecting Monsanto from any lawsuits resulting from illness or death of people who ate their roundup shit?
    The gmo studies are stifled but stuff like this is starting to show up:

http://www.naturalnews.com/z040727_G..._stomachs.html

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I believe there are actually studies that have been done on global warming.
    However, gmo was allowed into the food chain without any studies.
    Why else would a law be passed protecting Monsanto from any lawsuits resulting from illness or death of people who ate their roundup shit?
    The gmo studies are stifled but stuff like this is starting to show up:

http://www.naturalnews.com/z040727_G..._stomachs.html
    http://weedcontrolfreaks.com/2013/06/gmo-pig/

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...-gmo-activism/

“The science is quite clear: crop improvement by the modern molecular techniques of biotechnology is safe. The World Health Organization, the American Medical Association, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the British Royal Society, and every other respected organization that has examined the evidence has come to the same conclusion: consuming foods containing ingredients derived from GM crops is no riskier than consuming the same foods containing ingredients from crop plants modified by conventional plant improvement techniques.”

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Yeah!
    Stupid, ignorant squirrels!

Organic produce does taste better imo. It doesn't make it any more or less healthy to eat.