Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best BBQ I ever had - Sonny's in Cedar City, UT

I see how you guys like to talk about food. Seriously, like buttah. I had chicken and brisket, so smoky and tender. And cole slaw that was crispy and fresh tasting and not toooo tangy or wet. Just perfect. And fried cauliflower!

Go there!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Must have never stopped along a Carolina highway.

Since you're heading to Vegas, ya might swing downtown and see if Big Ern's is going yet. link.. If they aren't, there's Le Thai and for breakfast, huevos motulenos at eat on Carson Street. Or rum drinks at Frankie's Tiki Room!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Damn, that was one thing that I sorely missed when I lived in Cedar....

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    I had chicken and brisket
    "Can't you see..."

Sonnys smokehouse? God we have one really close to me in Sandy (well like 3 now) and i went to one...HORRIBLE.....maybe its a different chain down that way but I think its the same...chain bbq sucks imho...YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Must have never stopped along a Carolina highway.
    I prefer Texas style, although it may be the only thing I prefer about Texas.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Sonnys smokehouse? God we have one really close to me in Sandy (well like 3 now) and i went to one...HORRIBLE.....maybe its a different chain down that way but I think its the same...chain bbq sucks imho...YMMV
    Google says the only business in Cedar City with "Sonny" in the name is http://www.sonnyboysbbq.com/

So, no, not one of those remarkably shitty Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse places that have cropped up all over SLC lately.

edit to add: I've never eaten at Sonny Boy's, but color me skeptical that it's anywhere close to on par with Pat's
    Last edited by Dantheman; 05-14-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Google says the only business in Cedar City with "Sonny" in the name is http://www.sonnyboysbbq.com/

So, no, not one of those remarkably shitty Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse places that have cropped up all over SLC lately.
    Whew...i didnt want to think less of SheRa for having bad taste in BBQ...

those Sonny Bryans places fucking suck fat moose cock....i see those signs that say "out of food" when they sell out and im shocked, but i guess it is Utah and most of the mo mo's don't have tastebuds.

It's been over a year since I ate at Sonny Boy's, but I was seriously underwhelmed at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    It's been over a year since I ate at Sonny Boy's, but I was seriously underwhelmed at the time.
    Texas BBQ (beef) is sacrilegious; Corky's - Memphis or not at all.

Was it so good you let them behold your lovely taco?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Texas BBQ (beef) is sacrilegious; Corky's - Memphis or not at all.
    True as to ribs...NOT as to brisket

I've had ribs in Memphis, brisket in West Texas, Pulled Pork in Carolina and burnt ends in Kansas City.

You can't beat Texas for brisket, or Memphis for ribs. Burnt ends my be my favorite, but KC style sauce is too sweet for my taste. I like the thinner red brisket sauce better. And Memphis ribs don't need no sauce.

mmmm BBQ.

Barbeque? Did someone say barbeque???

"The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Best bbq in UT? You are doing it wrong.

Best garlic burger ? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Barbeque? Did someone say barbeque???

Pictures deleted so as not to further offend the sensibilities of this thread.
    AK, don't you need to go shop for some ice milk? Tomato basted grilled ribs or kebabs are not barbecue.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    I've had ribs in Memphis, brisket in West Texas, Pulled Pork in Carolina and burnt ends in Kansas City.

You can't beat Texas for brisket, or Memphis for ribs. Burnt ends my be my favorite, but KC style sauce is too sweet for my taste. I like the thinner red brisket sauce better. And Memphis ribs don't need no sauce.

mmmm BBQ.
    i loves me some burnt ends...had them in the KC airport one day and decided to try and make them at home. Chopped up some pork loin chops into little squares, boiled them, put them in a baking pan full of sauce and put them on the grill for an couple of hours...actually not bad.
    The Sheriff is near!

The best BBQ around here is Texas style BBQ. The place is not much more than a shack and the owner is from Texas. There a couple chain BBQ joints in the are that are decent, but I like my pork and brisket better. I'm still trying to figure out ribs.

Good BBQ doesn't need sauce.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

edit to add: I've never eaten at Sonny Boy's, but color me skeptical that it's anywhere close to on par with Pat's

Hey sonny bryans isnt THAT bad, for a chain. Tell me where in slc has food thats so much better. I have yet to find anywhere in slc that has really great food, its all just sort of ok. The iguanas, lone star taqueria, etc etc etc. Theres lots of places that arent bad but where are you finding food that blows sonnys out of the water?

Plus the only time I've eaten at one the cashier girl brought me some fresh out of the oven biscuits for free without me asking for them as well as her phone number. If you can tell me where I can get service like that every time I'll be a regular at least until I've met all the young female employees.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Best ribs I ever had was on the pro North America rib tour (das right). Team/ business was called jack the ribber. So damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Hey sonny bryans isnt THAT bad, for a chain. Tell me where in slc has food thats so much better. I have yet to find anywhere in slc that has really great food, its all just sort of ok. The iguanas, lone star taqueria, etc etc etc. Theres lots of places that arent bad but where are you finding food that blows sonnys out of the water?

Plus the only time I've eaten at one the cashier girl brought me some fresh out of the oven biscuits for free without me asking for them as well as her phone number. If you can tell me where I can get service like that every time I'll be a regular at least until I've met all the young female employees.
    I agree that it isn't terrible for a chain. Though it is telling that my favorite things there are the smoked turkey and onion rings. Usually I am a ribs and brisket guy but the ribs aren't very good there imo. I still prefer it to dickeys, famous daves and sugarhouse bbq in that order. I haven't been back since getting the Groupon but I would at least consider it. For me, Pats is the best in utah and that isn't saying much. I like going for burnt ends on fridays but thats about it. Someone could put a real KC, STL or Texas style BBQ pit in somewhere here and make an absolute killing.

This thread has taught me:

1) There is decent BBQ in UT

2) The best BBQ is still not in UT

3) IVPlay is still pretending to be a 14 y/o Canadian

Glad the OP got some good meat.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    i loves me some burnt ends...had them in the KC airport one day and decided to try and make them at home. Chopped up some pork loin chops into little squares, boiled them, put them in a baking pan full of sauce and put them on the grill for an couple of hours...actually not bad.
    I'm sure they were not bad, but they were not burnt ends and not barbecue. I mean you no offense, but hope to enlighten you as to the nature of barbecue.

Burnt ends are twice smoked brisket. To make burnt ends, smoke a brisket over apple, pecan or hickory for 8 to 10 hours. If you do anything to it, use a dry rub, although you can smoke it straight up or just with salt and pepper. I keep mine at 200. Slice the fat cap off and return it along with other sliced bits back to the smoker and let it go another hour.

Grilling isn't barbecue. Pork loin works for grilling, as it is lean and cooks quickly. It dries out too much to be a good barbecue meat. It also lacks collagen and fat - the two reasons barbecue was invented. The slow cooking renders the fat into the meat, and the collagen gelatinizes. The smoke invades everything, and it is the coalescence of those four ingredients, meat, fat, collagen and smoke that make barbecue.

Boiling is never ever done either for barbecue or proper grilling. Boiling seals the outside of the meat, preventing smoke from getting in and turning the whole thing rubbery. You overcame that probably by overcooking the shit out of the loin, so it went past rubbery and eventually the proteins broke down. Waste of a good pork loin if you ask me.

Grilling in a "barbecue sauce" takes wrong to a whole new level. Again, the sauce prevents smoke from getting into the meat (not that you get any smoke from gas and little enough from charcoal). The sauce will carmelize and burn well before the meat is done. Less so with a quick grill (chicken breasts or loin) than from something that needs a long slow cook like ribs or brisket.

Sauce should be something served on the side, at the table.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post

Yeah its called Pat's BBQ...and it makes sonny bryans look like a bad excuse for mcdonalds...guess you dont know all that much about dining in SLC...id agree they good places are few and far between, but there are some real gems in SLC and its surrounding areas. This is coming from someone who grew up in the NJ/NY tri state area nearly their whole life. I know good food.

And if you dont think Red Iguana is one of the best places you've eaten mexican food specifically Oaxaca moles then you need your tastebuds checked man. Though im sure you'll come back and tell me you've eaten everything and are an authority on all that is edible