Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Plus the only time I've eaten at one the cashier girl brought me some fresh out of the oven biscuits for free without me asking for them as well as her phone number. If you can tell me where I can get service like that every time I'll be a regular at least until I've met all the young female employees.
    U R A STUD!

heading to So. Ut in a couple weeks, I'll have to check that place out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    This thread has taught me:

1) There is decent BBQ in UT

2) The best BBQ is still not in UT

3) IVPlay is still pretending to be a 14 y/o Canadian

Glad the OP got some good meat.
    What makes you think in not, newton?

spook Guest
    i'm not a huge bbq fan. take it or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    i'm not a huge bbq fan. take it or leave it.

So gald that you are here to contribute to this important thread
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    I'm sure they were not bad, but they were not burnt ends and not barbecue. I mean you no offense, but hope to enlighten you as to the nature of barbecue.

Burnt ends are twice smoked brisket. To make burnt ends, smoke a brisket over apple, pecan or hickory for 8 to 10 hours. If you do anything to it, use a dry rub, although you can smoke it straight up or just with salt and pepper. I keep mine at 200. Slice the fat cap off and return it along with other sliced bits back to the smoker and let it go another hour.

Grilling isn't barbecue. Pork loin works for grilling, as it is lean and cooks quickly. It dries out too much to be a good barbecue meat. It also lacks collagen and fat - the two reasons barbecue was invented. The slow cooking renders the fat into the meat, and the collagen gelatinizes. The smoke invades everything, and it is the coalescence of those four ingredients, meat, fat, collagen and smoke that make barbecue.

Boiling is never ever done either for barbecue or proper grilling. Boiling seals the outside of the meat, preventing smoke from getting in and turning the whole thing rubbery. You overcame that probably by overcooking the shit out of the loin, so it went past rubbery and eventually the proteins broke down. Waste of a good pork loin if you ask me.

Grilling in a "barbecue sauce" takes wrong to a whole new level. Again, the sauce prevents smoke from getting into the meat (not that you get any smoke from gas and little enough from charcoal). The sauce will carmelize and burn well before the meat is done. Less so with a quick grill (chicken breasts or loin) than from something that needs a long slow cook like ribs or brisket.

Sauce should be something served on the side, at the table.
    Thank you.

I loves me some grilled meat, but it sure as shit isn't BBQ.

Burnt ends are twice smoked brisket. To make burnt ends, smoke a brisket over apple, pecan or hickory for 8 to 10 hours. If you do anything to it, use a dry rub, although you can smoke it straight up or just with salt and pepper. I keep mine at 200. Slice the fat cap off and return it along with other sliced bits back to the smoker and let it go another hour.
    My first or second brisket turned out terrible so rather than toss it I cubed it up added additional rub, a little sauce and put it back on the smoker for another couple hours and made some great burnt ends. Normally I just use the point, but if the flat turns out crappy burnt ends is a good way to salvage it.

Utah barbeque? surely you jest...

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yeah its called Pat's BBQ...and it makes sonny bryans look like a bad excuse for mcdonalds...guess you dont know all that much about dining in SLC...id agree they good places are few and far between, but there are some real gems in SLC and its surrounding areas. This is coming from someone who grew up in the NJ/NY tri state area nearly their whole life. I know good food.

And if you dont think Red Iguana is one of the best places you've eaten mexican food specifically Oaxaca moles then you need your tastebuds checked man. Though im sure you'll come back and tell me you've eaten everything and are an authority on all that is edible
    So can you tell me where these gems are, what they're called?

The moles are all right. I mostly think its just somewhat rare to find a place that specializes in moles so its just sort of unique. I'm not a huge mole fan anyways, but the other things on the menu didn't impress me much either. I still like the place, I eat there when I'm in the neighborhood, but I won't miss it when I'm gone or anything.

I've had much better mexican at tiny hole in the wall places in colorado, although they ussually don't have mole.

Anyways, I'd love to hear of these gems. I've found tons of 'decent' places to eat in SLC but surely no gems.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

I'm sure they were not bad, but they were not burnt ends and not barbecue. I mean you no offense, but hope to enlighten you as to the nature of barbecue.

Grilling isn't barbecue. Pork loin works for grilling, as it is lean and cooks quickly. It dries out too much to be a good barbecue meat. It also lacks collagen and fat - the two reasons barbecue was invented. The slow cooking renders the fat into the meat, and the collagen gelatinizes. The smoke invades everything, and it is the coalescence of those four ingredients, meat, fat, collagen and smoke that make barbecue.

Boiling is never ever done either for barbecue or proper grilling. Boiling seals the outside of the meat, preventing smoke from getting in and turning the whole thing rubbery. You overcame that probably by overcooking the shit out of the loin, so it went past rubbery and eventually the proteins broke down. Waste of a good pork loin if you ask me.

Grilling in a "barbecue sauce" takes wrong to a whole new level. Again, the sauce prevents smoke from getting into the meat (not that you get any smoke from gas and little enough from charcoal). The sauce will carmelize and burn well before the meat is done. Less so with a quick grill (chicken breasts or loin) than from something that needs a long slow cook like ribs or brisket.

Sauce should be something served on the side, at the table.
    No offense taken. I'm not about to consider myself an expert in the art of BBQ, but I thought it was good, and as far I'm concerned that's all that matters.

Speaking of eating BBQ, I lived in Memphis for 5 years. The place is a godforsaken hell hole but it's one redeeming quality is the BBQ, and I'm pretty sure that many, if not all of the most famous BBQ joints in Memphis use some sort of "sauce" on their meat as it is cooked.

Either way, since I think we are neighbors now the next time you make your burnt ends let me know... they sound delicious and I'll being the beer.
    The Sheriff is near!

"Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    No offense taken. I'm not about to consider myself an expert in the art of BBQ, but I thought it was good, and as far I'm concerned that's all that matters.

Speaking of eating BBQ, I lived in Memphis for 5 years. The place is a godforsaken hell hole but it's one redeeming quality is the BBQ, and I'm pretty sure that many, if not all of the most famous BBQ joints in Memphis use some sort of "sauce" on their meat as it is cooked.
    Nope. At best the sauce is put on shortly before the end to thicken and glaze. Memphis BBQ is dry-rubbed with the establishment's own mix of spices and slow smoked. For many you can buy the rub on-line. I like Interstate's rub.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Nope. At best the sauce is put on shortly before the end to thicken and glaze. Memphis BBQ is dry-rubbed with the establishment's own mix of spices and slow smoked. For many you can buy the rub on-line. I like Interstate's rub.
    Not all Memphis BBQ is dry-rubbed. Many places serve a wet rib. (at least they used to, I haven't been there in a few years, thank god) And just because they use a rub doesn't mean they don't use sauce.

When I was in Memphis I worked a few blocks from Interstate. That was actually my favorite BBQ place in town. Used to go often and they catered our warehouse x-mas party a couple times. A lot of people wouldn't go near it though because the neighborhood was sketchy, to say the least.
    The Sheriff is near!

Wikipedia gives Garth the win on that one although I thought Tipp was correct. I've been successful in avoiding Memphis so far.

This is the founder of Interstate BBQ, Jim Neely. Those ribs look like they gots some sauce on 'em to me!

The Sheriff is near!

Central BBQ in memphis is the place to go.

I hope more people try to question SheRa's judgment on BBQ. Unless you are from KC, Memphis, or Texas just STFU before you let everyone know how stipud you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    I hope more people try to question SheRa's judgment on BBQ. Unless you are from KC, Memphis, or Texas just STFU before you let everyone know how stipud you are.
    Yeah you wouldn't want to look stipud.

Utah BBQ...who knew you could smoke meats with cottonwood and scrub brush?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Utah BBQ...who knew you could smoke meats with cottonwood and scrub brush?
    In Cedar City, that would be Juniper and Sagebrush.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    This is the founder of Interstate BBQ, Jim Neely. Those ribs look like they gots some sauce on 'em to me!

Of course they do, but they weren't cooked (smoked) with the sauce on it until the very end, which was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah you wouldn't want to look stipud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post

I lol'd...

And for the record, dry rub FTW. I can't stand over-sauced faux bbq.

Railhead in Dallas-Ft. Worth FTW
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else" Jamie Pierre