Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Friends of Squaw Valley

The Friends of Squaw Valley has launched a new website to bring awareness about the Village at Squaw Valley Specific Plan. The proposed village expansion calls for over 1,000 new condo units, 29,000 square feet of new retail space, 132,000 square foot indoor activity center and at least 12-15 years of construction over 101 acres.

"Friends of Squaw Valley is supportive of a successful, vibrant village in Squaw." said member Ed Heneveld. "Our concern is that the current KSL proposal is just too massive for our small community to endure. A smaller village would be more in balance with the existing infrastructure and would maintain the spectacular views of our wonderful mountain. Finding the right balance while retaining our community atmosphere and culture is our goal."

Please like our Facebook Page

Friends of Squaw Valley’s mission is to advocate for environmental sustainability, economic viability, and development that is aesthetically compatible to our community’s character.
    please advocate for ample on-site parking (with no need for shuttle buses) as well...

baby jesus will cry if we can't walk to the lifts from where our cars are parked.
    Still waiting...

#the village life? 36 hole golf course? heated seats on tart busses?
    i am in if units are less then 7 figures.
    thanks for posting, keep the snow making machines running.
    bobby

Thanks guys. Development is inevitable, but responsible growth requires recognizing the actual capacity of the valley. I can't even imagine where these extra 1,000+++ units of people will ski. Maybe we should consider terrain expansion (and not just white wolf) if KSL really wants village expansion.

I think the paiutes said the same thing about your house being built.

Seriously how are you going to cram olympic caliber traffic on a two lane road into a choked valley that overstresses an infrastructure already collapsing on a normal snowy three day weekend with that kind of attitude?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the village expansion is not intended to bring more people to the mountain, but rather to get people who are already coming to squaw to actually stay at the village and spend more money there, rather than in the surrounding communities.

Therefore, not much impact on daily traffic or mountain crowds. But parking... another story.

The people who should be most concerned are the hotel/restaurant/shop owners in TC and Truckee.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the village expansion is not intended to bring more people to the mountain, but rather to get people who are already coming to squaw to actually stay at the village and spend more money there, rather than in the surrounding communities.
    You are wrong.

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Therefore, not much impact on daily traffic or mountain crowds. But parking... another story.

The people who should be most concerned are the hotel/restaurant/shop owners in TC and Truckee.
    89 on a snow weekend is backed up from Squaw to Truckee with lines backing up the off ramps onto a slick freeway, creating a million different hazards with a million different flatlander tourists on holiday in a hurry to get on their skis. Add a few thousand more racing to get to their condos, do the math and turn in your report by the end of class.

The road into Squaw is a clusterfuck, 89 is a clusterfuck, Truckee is a clusterfuck and so is the freeway on most winter weekends. Without a viable mass transit solution (light rail) from Truckee to Squaw to TC to Incline, the entire north Tahoe Basin will continue to be overburdened and even more intolerable than it is now. And that's just on the traffic front.
    Demand sensible infrastructure.

light rail from stateline thru TC past meadows & sv to Truckee would be awesome!
    that is good thinking splat
    b

davieboot, the intent is to sell the condos, most likely to the same people that come here already, but then to rent them to visitors from south and midwest.
    so this wil add to traffic.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

Roller coasters are not light rail. Light rail is a bitch with the easements and environmental impact reviews to be obtained. But Placer County political muckity-mucks will have to come to grips with the need for it at some point. And that should be now.
    Car pollution, air pollution and traffic congestion at the lake and on it's feeder routes is killing the basin and the lake, slowly but surely.

However, if easements for gas lines, power lines and roads can be obtained to support growth, there's not a reason in the world a light rail can't be implemented. Lips locked on the petrol tit is not progressive thinking. If it ain't progressing, it's regressing. The problem is the build and flip mentality of corporate resort enhancers whose only concerns are profit based. And that's why community protest is necessary. It's good for the people, the environment, the basin and, yes, even business and image, to be ahead of the curve in dealing with the infrastructure issues that should be addressed ahead of further development of Squaw.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    89 on a snow weekend is backed up from Squaw to Truckee with lines backing up the off ramps onto a slick freeway, creating a million different hazards with a million different flatlander tourists on holiday in a hurry to get on their skis. Add a few thousand more racing to get to their condos, do the math and turn in your report by the end of class.

The road into Squaw is a clusterfuck, 89 is a clusterfuck, Truckee is a clusterfuck and so is the freeway on most winter weekends. Without a viable mass transit solution (light rail) from Truckee to Squaw to TC to Incline, the entire north Tahoe Basin will continue to be overburdened and even more intolerable than it is now. And that's just on the traffic front.
    Demand sensible infrastructure.
    What about the Tahoe Truckee Aerial Tramway?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes View Post
    that's retarded. there was rail line from truckee to TC; take back the bike trail!

This, mostly, though it will likely bring in overall more people. Might actually improve traffic if people aren't going in and out of the valley as much, though as it is now they can't fill the "village". TC has been circling the drain for years, but no one has done a damn thing to stop it. Best spot on the lake location-wise, but if this and the Homewood project go through, it's gonna be hurting.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    that's retarded. there was rail line from truckee to TC; take back the bike trail!
    hey now, that trail takes me from chinquapin to the 7-11 slurpee machine on dollar hill during the summer.
    b

Just a thought....think of the Yan tramway that Mammoth had for a few years 15 years or so ago that went from chair 2 to the main lodge; a sidehill elevated light rail with somewhat minimized ground impact and above the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Just a thought....think of the Yan tramway that Mammoth had for a few years 15 years or so ago that went from chair 2 to the main lodge; a sidehill elevated light rail with somewhat minimized ground impact and above the snow.
    We should big going underground all over the Tahoe Basin. But Rapid transit real is a good idea.

My favorite would be Tram / Gondola from Verdi (Around boom town) To Mt. Rose - Sheep Flats - Sand Harbor.

Rail through the Mountain to Kings Beach, TAhoe City Apline Squaw.

Also would not mind seeing the dollars they are spending on rail in the Valley diverted to a Sac - Truckee - Reno

Truckee - Squaw Valley - Tahoe City - Tahoma line.

Just think easy for people to get in and out of the Popular Recreation areas without Car!! Lots more people enjoy the Lake / Mountaints all seasons but as day trippers on Public transit.

Right now You have to have a car / And it sucks/
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

The tan buildings are existing, the white buildings are proposed.

FoSV isn't against all development, we just don't want to live in a construction zone for the next 12-15 years.

Show me where the Day parking is again? There is a ski area open to the public in there somewhere, right?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    We should big going underground all over the Tahoe Basin.
    It should be like a cross between the LOTR mines of Moria and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom:

http://movieclips.com/8r9q-indiana-j...ne-cart-chase/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

they didn't present the underground heated parking garage yet.
    b

if you think about it, squaw is trying to get another thousand or so skiers during the week. From midwest.

when they have a goldmine in the bay area, one of the most affluent areas in the country, growing, lots of young people with money. ie ideal demographics.

and they are screwing their chances with them by ELIMINATING day parking.

WTF is wrong with this picture?

the reason is that they want to make a few bucks by selling condos, and sell the resort then to another sucker.

instead of looking at the long term and making squaw a great resort for their market, the day skier.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

maybe they should build a light rail to texas and nebraska, too...

that's about as realistic as most of the other suggestions in this thread!

eliminating day parking will ruin squaw... but we all know that's what KSL wants.

they want to destory the squaw valley we knew and loved (and they're off to a great start).

sadly, they will probably succeed in their goal.

they'll own squaw for ten years, ruin it completely, and make a big profit.
    Still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by FriendsofSV View Post

The tan buildings are existing, the white buildings are proposed.

FoSV isn't against all development, we just don't want to live in a construction zone for the next 12-15 years.
    It is clear some development will happen. It is also clear KSL has presented a large expansion, knowing that after Sierra Club injunctions, EIRs, and county concerns the footprint will be reduced (but still very big). It's an old tactic--go big, then when the local community gets some concessions, they feel like they've won, but the developer still gets a large development. What I want to know is:

1) where are all these people going to ski? Will KSL offer photos of the KT line in their sales promo materials?

2) the village is rarely full now, why add more housing that will simply remain vacant? Are there really that many tourists to flock to Squaw after the "renaissance" is completed?

3) I wonder how many of the stores in the village currently (Solomon, marmot, etc) are actually turning in profits or if they are just loss leader concept stores.

4) what will be the appeal of Squaw for tourists seeking a "mountain experience" when the natural beauty of the valley has been obscured behind "south coast plaza--sierra edition"

As for infrastructure in the basin, it's way overdue. Fat tire bikes for everyone! Bike trail extension to truckee! Alpine is about to become way more impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by jahroy View Post
    maybe they should build a light rail to texas and nebraska, too...

that's about as realistic as most of the other suggestions in this thread!

eliminating day parking will ruin squaw... but we all know that's what KSL wants.

they want to destory the squaw valley we knew and loved (and they're off to a great start).

sadly, they will probably succeed in their goal.

they'll own squaw for ten years, ruin it completely, and make a big profit.
    And your suggestions for alternatives are.....more parking for the extra thousand or more vehicles that will be clogging the already congested roads?

Double the gas prices and you'll be looking at the West's newest ghost town.