Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyPilot View Post
    Also, is there really enough demand out there for 1000 condo units? I find that unlikely, what with California's tax the shit out of the rich mentality, not likely to get any better, and the ease of travel these days, there are a lot of options out there and Squaw may not be the best one for people.
    Condos are real estate, taxed at a max of 1.25% assessed value post-Prop 13. That's not exactly taxing the shit out of anyone. To the extent that you're talking about income tax, the people who buy those condos are not likely to live there, so it's not terribly relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnowjoke View Post
    Think about it: Cushing bought the whole valley.
    Actually, no, he didn't. As a gross oversimplification, when they split, Cushing kept the ski area and Poulsen kept the valley.
    not counting days 2016-17

Re public transportation, this year's experiment apparently underperformed.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/new...engers-shuttle

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    Re public transportation, this year's experiment apparently underperformed.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/new...engers-shuttle
    poorly marketed spotty slow service public transportation trial run isn't a success. that's a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    poorly marketed spotty slow service public transportation trial run isn't a success. that's a shocker.
    I agree, 44 days a season?

Aspen's public transportation is great. This fall they're adding 22 natural gas buses, which are much cleaner and cheaper to run.

Sorry, but the light rail/train proponents are smoking crack if they think that will ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Sorry, but the light rail/train proponents are smoking crack if they think that will ever happen.
    couldn't agree more.

i know nothing about any of this stuff, but it's ludicrous to think there's going to be a light rail.
    Still waiting...

Maybe when the lake turns brown....

Problem with starting mass transit is that people won't use it unless it runs often enough, and it won't run often enough until enough people use it. You have to charge prohibitive parking fees at the areas and use the revenue to heavily subsidize the mass transit to get it going. I don't see that happening.

KSL has all of the water rights they need. And indeed, they do have water rights to Squaw Creek.

Think about it: Cushing bought the whole valley. He obtained a huge amount of water rights, enough to make snow, service 1000 new condos, etc. Does anyone really think more condos at Squaw will cause Tahoe's level to decrease? Jeesh.

The issue is water STORAGE. Efforts are underway to increase the storage.

I agree with the parking issue. Hopefully it's not a cluster.
    Really, KSL has all the water rights they need? Please tell me you aren't serious. Yes, I agree they do have rights to some of the water in Squaw Creek, however not ALL of it like one of the KSL morons tried to tell me. However having some water rights doesn't mean you have the water for a 1000 more condos. This will be something for the courts to decide, which is where it will be headed.

Like someone else pointed out, Cushing didn't buy the WHOLE valley, not even fucking close. And yes, there are people looking at what those condos would do to the level of Lake Tahoe, you can believe that or not. My information comes from people that have forgot more about water rights in the basin and the Truckee River, then most people will ever know.

Oh, I'm sure storage is going to be an issue no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    Condos are real estate, taxed at a max of 1.25% assessed value post-Prop 13. That's not exactly taxing the shit out of anyone. To the extent that you're talking about income tax, the people who buy those condos are not likely to live there, so it's not terribly relevant.
    Okay Dad, you seem like a smart guy, in your opinion is there enough demand for a 1000 condos? Given all the choices around the area right now?

Really, KSL has all the water rights they need? Please tell me you aren't serious. Yes, I agree they do have rights to some of the water in Squaw Creek, however not ALL of it like one of the KSL morons tried to tell me. However having some water rights doesn't mean you have the water for a 1000 more condos. This will be something for the courts to decide, which is where it will be headed.

Like someone else pointed out, Cushing didn't buy the WHOLE valley, not even fucking close. And yes, there are people looking at what those condos would do to the level of Lake Tahoe, you can believe that or not. My information comes from people that have forgot more about water rights in the basin and the Truckee River, then most people will ever know.

Oh, I'm sure storage is going to be an issue no doubt.
    I know nothing of the substrate aquifers between Squaw and Tahoe that might affect the level of the lake.
    But I do know Reno should be interested if the flow of shit in the Truckee will be increased, since that's where most of Reno gets its water. Where would the sewer go?

truck that shit to sacramento.
    b

Okay Dad, you seem like a smart guy, in your opinion is there enough demand for a 1000 condos? Given all the choices around the area right now?
    I have no idea whether there is adequate demand. (As a homeowner in the neighborhood, I hope there is but that it remains unfulfilled.)

But I don't think that there is a viable threat of taxing the shit out of anyone either way.

(and thanks - so do you, and not nearly as grumpy as your handle might imply.)

Yep Development in Squaw does not affect Tahoe Directly.

the issues would be Sewer / Power / Transportation load / Roads

Where the Shit goes and where the power comes from would be a big deal.

the Biomass plant is going in 1 holl to the north, but i think that power has more than been allotted.

With the Split from NVEnergy now complete. that will be interesting.

A trip down memory lane.
    Last edited by MTT; 05-30-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

My Turn: Visit the village model at Squaw Valley

"If you already know something about the proposed village expansion at Squaw Valley, and if you are already concerned — one way or another, or even if you don’t know anything about it — you should go and view the Squaw Valley village model and pick up a copy of their brochure.

The model covers the whole 101-plus acres proposed to be developed, and is at a scale of one inch equals thirty feet. Be aware that the model is just a model, and therefore is not precisely accurate, and that changes are being made to it.

I suggest that you listen to the knowledgeable attendant’s presentation, and then ask any questions that occur to you. You might ask about the daily water and energy consumption of the planned water park (the water temperature will likely be about 86 degrees, 24 hours a day all year long), or about where the snow making and maintenance garage will be located, or about the proposed emergency road to the Resort at Squaw Creek, or about provision for day-skier parking, or about impaired views from the existing village structures, or about sight lines to views of the mountains, or about the heights of the planned structures relative to the existing structures.

Consider, too, how large the footprint of the expanded village is in regard to that of the existing village, and think about the closeness and massiveness of the planned village as a whole. Also consider how large the footprint of the expanded village is in regard to that of the existing village, and think about the closeness and massiveness of the planned village as a whole.

Before you leave check out the architectural drawings on the walls and contrast their heaviness and darkness with that of the existing village’s buildings, study the brochure at some point, and perhaps go back and ask exactly where the silver mining occurred in or near Squaw Valley, exactly how emissions are actually going to be reduced, why the Squaw Creek alterations are referred to as restoration when they essentially preserve the present hydrologically dysfunctional straight channel, why the potential distant adverse effects on Tahoe City and Truckee businesses are ignored in favor of touting the local Le Chamois as a support for regional businesses, why the brochure asserts that all of the proposed development is on disturbed land when roads and houses are planned for the pristine forested mountain slope above the Olympic Village Inn, and also ask when the developer will hold their next local meeting as advertised.

Finally, you might ask if all of the $30 million per year projected to be raised in taxes from the development will really come to the Squaw Valley region, or whether a large part wouldn’t end up being expended elsewhere in Placer County.

By the way, these suggestions in no way apply to the improvements that Squaw Valley Ski Holdings is making on the mountain itself. I look forward to a modern Red Dog (and perhaps even a Resort?) lift."

Dave Brew is a Squaw Valley homeowner.

Sierra Sun, June 3

Well, I suppose one could ask all of those questions. If one was a massive douchebag.

Seriously. A company wants to develop something on land they own, and a bunch of people think they get to vote on it like they are on an important committee or something. Only, they're not.

I'll bet this guy's going to lie awake at night wondering -GASP!- how they are going to heat the pool and whether the architecture will please him. I've got good news. Ya don't have to worry about it, dude!

For every action...

Water, sewer, air quality, views, congestion and traffic/ public road infrastructure.
    At least acknowledge the impacts everyone shares.

I can only hope it's not unsightly, overcrowded, poorly done and without day skier parking or light rail.
    And that it only snows friday/saturday/sunday.

A company wants to develop something on land they own, and a bunch of people think they get to vote on it like they are on an important committee or something
    Ever been to Houston? It's a property owner free-for-all without zoning restrictions and the place is an absolute disaster.

What a company does with their land affects other people. That's why design review and other regulations exist - this isn't staking your claim out west in 1875.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    For every action...

Water, sewer, air quality, views, congestion and traffic/ public road infrastructure.
    At least acknowledge the impacts everyone shares.

I can only hope it's not unsightly, overcrowded, poorly done and without day skier parking or light rail.
    And that it only snows friday/saturday/sunday.
    The project isn't going anywhere without adequate water or sewer. The toilets aren't going to overflow, and mud will not come out of the faucets. I remember when the Resort AT Squaw Creek was supposed to be the end of the valley as we know it as well. Haters gonna hate. The resort didn't ruin the meadow, cause a nightmarish traffic situation, nor did it ruin the views. But beauty is a matter of taste, maybe some folks still hate it. All I know is that the new lift built to service the resort is epic on those days when the rest of the mountain is shut down and you get to pull lap after blower lap when it's just puking.

I don't mind the current Interwest village at all, either. In fact I think it's an enhancement to what was previously the super-massive parking lot. Now there's stuff to do other than go to Dave's Deli or the Chamois. Again, the current village was also poo-pooed as being the end of Squaw. It wasn't.

The big difference is that now -via the interweb- all of us narcissistic assholes can get up on a global soapbox and scream our feelings at the top of our lungs. It gets taken to truly ridiculous levels sometimes, like from the letter writer who's worried how the pool's gonna be heated. Is he paying the bill? Some dude posted a video of the Slide Mountain slide in 1983, above. Like it's a surprise that a mountain named Slide Mountain slid? Because it was over saturated granodiorite? Over saturated granodiorite gonna slide. But WTF does that have to do with Squaw....or anything?

Yes, I agree that the project should not be unsightly, overcrowded, or poorly done. I believe the modern consumer would shun the project if it were, KSL knows that, thus it will be nice like the current village. Light rail, in my opinion, is a pipe dream. Who the hell wants to park and put all of their crap on a train to go skiing? I've done it plenty of times in Europe, it's not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Ever been to Houston? It's a property owner free-for-all without zoning restrictions and the place is an absolute disaster.

What a company does with their land affects other people. That's why design review and other regulations exist - this isn't staking your claim out west in 1875.
    Dammit! I know that Squaw is trying to be just like Houston. The secret is out.

You are absolutely right that there are laws in place regarding zoning restrictions, height requirements, sewer loads, water consumption, etc. Cushing was constantly hounded by Placer county, and he let everyone know it during his annual rant in the season pass newsletter. Yup, this isn't 1875. Squaw has a shitton of hurdles to jump over to make this happen. It's just funny to me that everyone is so opinionated over a massive parking lot.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Yes, I agree that the project should not be unsightly, overcrowded, or poorly done. I believe the modern consumer would shun the project if it were, KSL knows that, thus it will be nice like the current village.
    Sweet jesus you are a fucking idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Sweet jesus you are a fucking idiot.
    Yeah dude, you're right. They're probably going to throw a hundred million or so at it in order to make it crappy, shoddy, and tasteless. Like you! But I digress. Oh, it has to smell like sewers too, like in Mexico. That way, the Cali's will have bidding wars over the condos.

Hugh Conway Guest
    They're probably going to throw a hundred million or so at it in order to make it crappy, shoddy, and tasteless.
    So it'd be like the Kirkwood village. Or the Wasatch Ski Link you beat off over (note they are aiming for "Cali's")

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Maybe when the lake turns brown....
    they will dye it until the end of time

Here is a photo of the model currently on display.

I still do not understand where I will be parking. Midweek.

Unless they cover up some of the meadow, I do not see any un-developed places in the valley. From where would the shuttle buses be bringing us?

Do they really want to eliminate the day skier?