Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Flashing Headlights - Do You Do This?

Do you flash your headlights at people after they pass you?

If so, why?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

The only time I flash my headlights is to warn oncoming drivers of a speed trap.

On the highway I do it to truck drivers to let them know they are clear to come into the lane. They usually flash their running lights as a thank you.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    On the highway I do it to truck drivers to let them know they are clear to come into the lane. They usually flash their running lights as a thank you.
    this. truck drivers do it for each other, so I occasionally do it in situations where I think the driver might appreciate the help. But that's pretty rare.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I do it in hopes of blinding the person who passed me. Then they will swerve off the road, hit a tree, and die. No one should ever pass me because I am the only person in this world that matters.

Biggest pet peeve that will guarantee a flipping off and headlight flash... Tons of traffic yet some idiot HAS to be one car further ahead in the line. Rides your ass looking for any opportunity to wedge in front of you. Pisses me off just thinking about it.

Guess what asshole. We've all got places to be! Chill the fuck out!!

Happens to me a lot, and I'm trying to figure out what it's all about. Not driving a big rig, either.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

When I flash beams it means one of the following:

If head on:
    -There's a speed trap
    -There's some fucked up shit on the road (ice, boulder, accident)
    -Your lights are off
    -Your beams are on
    -You're about to run me over

If I'm behind you:
    -Your lights are off
    -I've been tailgating you for 10 minutes and you still haven't moved over
    -A piece of your car is falling off

I didn't know about the symbol that it's safe to come back in, but I like that. Seems like I'll be using it for truckers only.

Pretty much only for trucks like SOB said.

If someone comes up behind me with their brights on and then passes me, I'll turn my brights on once they go past just to give them a bit of a "fuck you," but I don't bother with the whole flashing thing.

Willie, you live in WA and drive like a normal person instead of a dipshit. This had never occurred to me until I lived in WA.

Yes, when we come on a string of assholes, (yes assholes drive slower, maniacs drive faster), all lined up, not passing, we actually can sometimes only pass 2-3 at a time. I've passed 10 at a time on 97, then look in my rearview and the whole group will still be putzing along at 55 in a 60 2 miles behind me. Invariably, somebody will have flashed their brights at me in that line up. They're MAD!!! They're emasculated!!!!!!!!

Yes, flash your brights you dumbfuck, sorry your rig can't corner worth a shit.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by jibij View Post
    Biggest pet peeve that will guarantee a flipping off and headlight flash... Tons of traffic yet some idiot HAS to be one car further ahead in the line. Rides your ass looking for any opportunity to wedge in front of you. Pisses me off just thinking about it.

Guess what asshole. We've all got places to be! Chill the fuck out!!
    Well "tons of traffic" certainly isn't the issue on I-90 through Montana, yet I get flashed occasionally after passing too. No speed traps or anything to be found. Just seems like some people are pissed off that you take advantage of the other lane and pass their slow butts. How dare you! Don't you know? Some people own hundreds of miles of highway, and you shall respect their mere presence, you peasant fool.

I just leave my brights on 24/7. A lot of people flash their headlights at me, I guess it's their way of saying "Hi!". Some guy even signaled me that I'm number one the other day! Cool guy.

As far as trucks are concerned, I've always signaled that they are clear to come back over into my lane by turning the light off and then on (or vice-versa during the day). Flashing high beams I've always considered to be more of a "fuck you" signal - not exactly the message you intend to send if you are trying to be courteous.

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    As far as trucks are concerned, I've always signaled that they are clear to come back over into my lane by turning the light off and then on (or vice-versa during the day). Flashing high beams I've always considered to be more of a "fuck you" signal - not exactly the message you intend to send if you are trying to be courteous.
    This is the proper etiquette at night. Off then on again. The last thing you want is a blinded trucker swerving back into your lane.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Hugh Conway Guest
    proper etiquette is a quick flash which doesn't blind them. telling them that they are clear by turning your lights off so they can't see you makes no sense.

Disappointing topic...I thought there were going to be turgid female nipples
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

opposing traffic - speed trap ahead or animal/obstacle on road
    truckers - you're clear
    everyone else - you're an idiot

re: truckers - alot of new cars have headlights you cant turn off at night when driving, so the quick flash of the high beams is the only option. Otherwise a quick off/on is protocol.

Flashing headlights is either telling some dip shit comming towards you that they are hitting you with their brights, in lieu of turning lights on and off, signaling a trucker that you are on the same page and it's safe to come over etc.

Turning your headlights on and off, signals to an oncoming driver either cop up ahead or turn your lights on dopey.

Two different things with multiple meanings...

^^^what he said

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    proper etiquette is a quick flash which doesn't blind them. telling them that they are clear by turning your lights off so they can't see you makes no sense.
    For some reason, I think Hugh has never, ever spoken with a trucker. Sit down sweetie, I have this one on some authority.

And if you think about it, if the trucker doesn't see any lights, there's nothing there and he's clear...
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I flash to warn of speed traps, I flash oncoming traffic that forgot to dim highbeams and when I pull out to pass a big rig I flash him so he knows I am coming up beside him

I find it is usually better to wait for an oncoming car to see me before I dim or buddy might forget until I flash him ...might as well wait
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    And if you think about it, if the trucker doesn't see any lights, there's nothing there and he's clear...
    So you've talked to a trucker but have never driven a truck with a blind spot. Just because you don't see lights doesn't mean no one is there, specially if you just passed someone. If you don't see lights you are going to hit that person if you try to merge.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    That's as stupid as thinking a flash of brights at night in the rearview blind someone. But carry on with whatever you want to think about me fuck stick

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    That's as stupid as thinking brights at night in the rearview blind someone
    So you don't worry about coming up behind someone with your brights on? hm.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    So you don't worry about coming up behind someone with your brights on? hm.
    I edited it for a flash. Flashing lights is easy, turning auction lights off isn't as( one hand off wheel)

Who gets passed by big trucks? Stoned hippies driving old VW busses?