Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Help/WTB/TR: My first bike build. Ninja (Nimble) 9

So, my awesome parents have ordered me a Nimble 9 frame for graduation. Basically, I'm gonna need everything. I'd like to build it up with decent wheels, decent fork, and x9/XT/SLX/equivalent parts. New or gently used. I could also use some recommendations.
    Also, stupid, I know, but I want everything black.
    pictures will of course follow as I go along. Frames are still in Taiwan or something, I gather, but I wanted to get this thread started since I already have questions on recommendations for fork/wheels.
    In case you can't tell, this will be my first bike build.
    Let the fun mad experiment begin!
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 04-30-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

9 or 10 speed? If 10 speed clutch or no clutch RD? I have an MT780 XT 10 speed SGS that is collecting dust since I replaced it with the shadow+ version.

Wheels, are you building them or buying them. I am in the middle of my first full on build myself. I decided to build the wheelset using Hadley/Stans Arch combination. Though Hope Hoops are a fine wheelset for a decent price. Typically find them on Wiggle.com for $375. I beat on a 26er set pretty hard and they are still going.

I would also recommend JensonUSA for stuff. They are continually selling OE (probably came on a bike from factory but someone wanted something else when they bought it) stuff for cheap. The SLX 10 speed is on there for $50.

2x10. Not sure if clutch-type is important. I like the shadow design. I will not be lacing wheels. I was also thinking of doing Sram/Avid or Shimano for brakes. Whichever the shifters are, so I can use matchmaker/i-spec whatever. Also, I think if you mount Shimano and Sram on the same handlebars, you risk rifting space-time.
    No longer stuck.

I have a Reba 29er fork that I'll sell you. Gotta figure out price. I'll also sell you a can of black spray paint so you can fix its whiteness.

2x10. Not sure if clutch-type is important. I like the shadow design. I will not be lacing wheels. I was also thinking of doing Sram/Avid or Shimano for brakes. Whichever the shifters are, so I can use matchmaker/i-spec whatever. Also, I think if you mount Shimano and Sram on the same handlebars, you risk rifting space-time.

http://problemsolversbike.com/produc...match_adapters

I hope that was you that removed your car from the street! Also, tell me more about this fork.
    No longer stuck.

It was; we had planned on stopping and riding on Monday, but the weather sucked so we just swung through quick and headed out.

Go shimano for brakes, still on sale here: http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-w-Adapter.htm

If you don't mind eBay... the best deals can be found there, both used and new.

I would go clutch 1x10 x 30 or 32T on a hardtail personally.

A Stans arch wheelset can be had cheap and is a great buy.

Go slx for brakes....

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Yeah, I'm leaning toward SLX group for drivetrain and brakes. Trails around here are steep and fast so 1x10 would be too hard on a long climb and then max out too easily on the way down. I should also add that I really don't give a flying fuck about tubeless. Also, any love for X.9 hubs? some good wheels built up with those. Easton?
    Also, anyone try those new Race Face grips that look a little like the old North Shores? (Strafe?) I have big hands. No, I'm not getting Ergons.
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 04-30-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    No longer stuck.

Post up some pics!!

Did you read the part about how I will when I get stuff? The frames are probably still on the boat from Taiwan :/

Speaking of Taiwan, are those part sellers on eBay that are located in Taiwan legit? I got a cheap seat on there once, and it seems to work ok, so I didn't care at the time. Are they selling OEM overstock from factories? Googled it, but didn't get very good answers, so obviously, one's favorite internet message board is a sure way to get 100% troof.
    No longer stuck.

I don't read. Sorry.

My experience with buying cheap parts on eBay are this-- tried to buy some cheap batteries for a Canon Camera and not only did they not work at all, they got stuck in the battery compartment. I'd be cautious.

my advise is to splurge on a seat and scrimp elsewhere.

more of a road rider, so I'm on my ass a lot more, but still seems to make sense.
    unless you can get comfortable on any old piece of foam. But still, it's a nice upgrade if you have a few $$ to spend.

what is your overall budget? That would probably help you figure out where to spend.

These wheels caught my eye: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ca...elset-13-47137

again, more of a road rider myself, but the looked to be a good bang for the buck. Never ridden them, not not well informed as to mountain wheelsets, but if you don't care for tubeless, might be worth a look.

Speaking of Taiwan, are those part sellers on eBay that are located in Taiwan legit?
    not sure about bike parts, but I've purchased a bunch of hard drives, laptop parts, etc from china sellers. The shipping lag is a drag, but if they have good ratings, it came as advertised...

sorry, should have multiquoted instead of multi reply. fucking jong

I've purchased a bunch of parts from Taiwan/china sellers, always legit and new. No issues.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Good to know.
    Budget? Not sure yet.
    SLX looks like a good way to go for drivetrain and brakes as far as price/performance. What say y'all?
    No longer stuck.

SLX brakes are great deal. I have XT and SLX and don't feel a difference (pad contact adjust is the one add, decent but nothing special). Great place to save money.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

I'm here to post in this historic thread.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I'm here to post in this historic thread.
    Double QFT
    watch out for snakes

I recently ebayed a set of Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert wheels for $150. The same seller on ebay lists them with different axles and wheel sizes somewhat regularly.

Hunt and snipe wisely.

This thread will be epic and hudge.
    thanks for the tips, guys.
    No longer stuck.

I can't wait until the thread devolves to "Missoula doesn't have as many great bike shops as Manhattan."

So, it looks like good wheels to go with best-bang-for-buck style are Blag Flag Pros, or ZTR Arches, or something similar hand laced. Yes?
    For the Sun Ringles, does it really make much difference if it's Charger/Black Flag or Pro/Expert?
    No longer stuck.