Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Trampoline in Your Yard?

I am 100% against it. My insurance agent said Arbella would drop us if they had a claim or did a drive by and saw it in the yard.

That said, I'm pretty sure we're getting one, since I am the only one against it and my wife promised the kids they could have one. My position is; tough shit what you promised them. They're kids, spoiled, unappreciative, freeloaders. Her plan is to watch them through the window. Sure you will.

What say the Mags?

The idiotic ways the kids will find to use it will make your heart stop. At least that's how it was growing up with my neighbor's trampoline.

Good luck!
    I still call it The Jake.

Less risk with with a pet rattlesnake. Up your personal liability insurance.

Get kids to sign a waiver?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I've seen people dig a hole so the top of the tramp is level with the ground and presumably safer. These people also have easy access to backhoes and lots of land to dump the dirt.

People will get hurt. Not just your kids. It will get used for a few weeks and then forgot about.

We used to duct tape our edges on old snowboards and practice tricks on my buddys. We all got very hurt.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    I've seen people dig a hole so the top of the tramp is level with the ground and presumably safer. These people also have easy access to backhoes and lots of land to dump the dirt.
    This, with old mattresses around it, or gymnastics pads. I'm not sure how much less hurt people get, but figure a screwed up landing does not get complicated by a 3 to 4 ft fall to the ground as well.

they plan to get a basketball hoop, so i foresee multiple jumpers, my 16 year old doing backflips on skis on it (he skied off the roof this winter)...this won't end well

While we never had trampolines, Bumby and Gig and Mouse all had their first shotguns by age 6. Nobody was ever killed or maimed.

But I am confused. You are the man of the family. Shouldn't your vote be the only one counted in this ballot box? Vetoing the father and husband should be about as easy as vetoing Stalin.

Christ, what happened to America? Joe Kennedy had 9 goddamn kids and wasnt present for the birth of a single one of them. Most of the time he was playing golf in Palm Springs. Rose didnt even want him there, said she didnt want all this birthing to be an inconvenience to old Joe.

Now Joe would be expected to attend birthing classes and hold Rose's hand and play her favorite music and stroke her hair and smoke his cigar on the goddamn curb down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Get kids to sign a waiver?
    I'd make the parents sign one. I'd also have an attorney make sure it's as lawsuit proof as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I'd make the parents sign one. I'd also have an attorney make sure it's as lawsuit proof as possible.
    I was joking....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I was joking....
    I wasn't. Not in this litigious society of ours. Better make the kids sign one too just to be on the safe side. Haha.

A contract ot waiver is only the terms for starting ANY lawsuit.

You aren't a real Mormon without one.

-notice son #1 on the roof waiting to double jump one of his "cousins"

A waiver isn't going to do shit in the hands of certain people. Agreed that a ground level one is the only way I'd even consider it. Preferably springfree too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    But I am confused. You are the man of the family. Shouldn't your vote be the only one counted in this ballot box? Vetoing the father and husband should be about as easy as vetoing Stalin.

seriously, I'm ashamed, but not going down without a fight, but going down nonetheless

...... attorney...... lawsuit.
    .......litigious society.
    Quote Originally Posted by farmguy View Post
    ........contract ot waiver........lawsuit.
    keywords for a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    While we never had trampolines, Bumby and Gig and Mouse all had their first shotguns by age 6. Nobody was ever killed or maimed.

Christ, what happened to America? Joe Kennedy had 9 goddamn kids and wasnt present for the birth of a single one of them. Most of the time he was playing golf in Palm Springs. Rose didnt even want him there, said she didnt want all this birthing to be an inconvenience to old Joe.

Now Joe would be expected to attend birthing classes and hold Rose's hand and play her favorite music and stroke her hair and smoke his cigar on the goddamn curb down the street.
    That deserves a toast with the finest Cuban rum, Ernest.

Resist Disneyfication and get the trampoline.

Some of the best fun I had growing up was over at my friend's house, jumping off the roof, onto the trampoline and cannonballing into the pool. We all lived, and fear of getting really jacked up kept us in line. Stop being such a pussy. Pain is a good teacher for your 16 yo. Set some rules (one at a time, no inversions) and let the kids have some fun.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    I am 100% against it. My insurance agent said Arbella would drop us if they had a claim or did a drive by and saw it in the yard.

That said, I'm pretty sure we're getting one, since I am the only one against it and my wife promised the kids they could have one. My position is; tough shit what you promised them. They're kids, spoiled, unappreciative, freeloaders. Her plan is to watch them through the window. Sure you will.

What say the Mags?
    I'm calling the over/under for a broken limb - 3 months.

Then again, there are far more dangerous things kids could be out doing. Probably better having them breaking arms in your backyard than running all over the place doing who-knows-what.

(Btw, I have a hat and an ipod of yours at home. Will try to remember to send 'em out to you this week)

You have my contact info. Please forward to neighbors and family members.

Make sure they understand: we won't be suing you, but rather: an insurance company.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    We had our landscaping guy dig the hole out while he was putting in the irrigation system. We dumped the dirt in a big pile and made a natural mound for grass and flowers and shit. The main drawback here is the gap between the trampoline and the decking. Our kids have gotten a leg caught once or twice.

There are risks, yes. But, it's a lot of fun, great exercise, and good training for jumping.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trampoline.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	137202   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trampoline.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	387.6 KB 
ID:	137203  
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Her plan is to watch them through the window. Sure you will.

What say the Mags?

I have zero doubt she will "watch them from the window" but all she will see is the impact of one of them hurting themselves. Not like from the window she can do anything to help them..she'll just be quicker getting them to the emergency room.

Tell her she's responsible for getting new insurance and making up the cost difference should current company drop you like a bad habit.

Good luck.

What about that net/fence thing? Do these things make it less dangerous?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0125xMPTOYx026

We live in a neighborhood with 5' fences along each property line. Every fence post has a 8" spike finial on the top. Our neighbors just put a big tramp in the corner of their yard (no net) right next to the fence. The ground (and now the tramp) slopes toward the fence. Their kids are 4 and 7.

Mrs. Smoova and I put money on when we see the first impalement. Hoping I'm not home when it happens.