Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I had one, it was awesome. It was round, and we lost the spring cover VERY quickly. A kid got his leg stuck between the mat and rail, NBD, walked it off. I flew off it once, was OK. Jumping off things onto it = bad idea, you go up almost as much as you go down.

For some reason, water increases the bouncy-ness SUBSTANTIALLY. Also, water hoses are just fun in the summer.

As a kid, I would have preferred a gymnastics trampoline (those yellow rectangular ones with red lines) they are INCREDIBLY bouncy compared to the walmart or what have you brands. They are seriously dangerous if a kid is into pushing his/her limits, I seen a kid throw a triple backflip on one of those and almost crumple his spine.

I learned a lot about being in mid-air from it. Also how I learned to kickflip, heelflip + body varial, double kickflips, and tre flip. Just take the trucks off the skateboard, or the tape on edge of snowboard/skis.

They can also build up a SERIOUS static charge. Friends and I would rub against the mat, touch hands (there would be a small shock as we did this), then the person on the end would touch the metal frame, and at night there would be a huge visible shock, and everyone connected would feel the shock. pretty neat.

it was a lot of fun.

Look at the bright side, your kids will be doing more front/back flips on Red/Black line than anyone else.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

we can dig a hole and have it flush with the ground and get some pads i guess, and I have no doubt it's fun. Though my kids do launch backflips on skis, my 16 year old has friends that are insane park skiers, throwing inverts, corks, double backflips, superman fronts,....they concern me. They all go to the gymnastics gym and really have a good time and I havent heard of any injuries.

But, you can't swing a dead cat in our town without hitting a lawyer, so the exposure isn't ideal. How much is enough liability insurance? I own a business and don't want to lose everything if some kid winds up a quadriplegic in my backyard.

In college, I had my first threesome while on a trampoline...ah good times...

# pros = # cons

pros win
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Just do what all the neighbors did when we lived on the Front Range. Buy tramp, don't tie down, first big wind, tramp => Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by jahoney View Post
    ... For some reason, water increases the bouncy-ness SUBSTANTIALLY. Also, water hoses are just fun in the summer.
    My son says the same which is why he's frequently out there in the rain. I need to figure out why it's bouncier when wet.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by stevesmith7 View Post
    Just do what all the neighbors did when we lived on the Front Range. Buy tramp, don't tie down, first big wind, tramp => Kansas.
    I was out of town for work when Hurricane Sandy was threatening and I told my kid that as it was his trampoline, it was up to him to take the netting and mat off before the storm hit. He pissed and moaned and asked why he needed to do it and I told him so it doesn't end up three towns over and JUST DO WHAT I SAY DAMNIT.

After the storm I sent him this photo from Connecticut:

Last edited by monkfish; 04-30-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    In college, I had my first threesome while on a trampoline...ah good times...

# pros = # cons

pros win
    ahhhhhh, the old ben franklin method of decision making; in the pro column we have 3-somes, and in the con we have paralysis and litigation.

Pros>cons

So if you make it flush with the ground do you end up with a pit filled with water after it rains?

We have 4 neighbors with trampolines. Three have nets and one is just like that one in the pic above, but without a net. That family also has no limits so there are usually 4-6 kids on at one time. They are right next door to us and I just hope I'm not out there when one of them breaks their neck. We don't let our son go on it unless he's the only one- which is pretty much never, because their kids can't stand watching and just jump on too. We've thought about getting one just for our kid... but not sure if that's worth it.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    But, you can't swing a dead cat in our town without hitting a lawyer, so the exposure isn't ideal. How much is enough liability insurance? I own a business and don't want to lose everything if some kid winds up a quadriplegic in my backyard.
    Get an umbrella policy (if you don't already have one?).

Quote Originally Posted by hikesalot View Post
    So if you make it flush with the ground do you end up with a pit filled with water after it rains?
    We put about 4 inches of pea gravel at the bottom of the pit. This allows the pit framework to rest above the soil to mitigate degradation to the structure. The trampoline is also raised above the surface a few inches to keep surface run-off from getting inside (see pic on page 1).
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

wanting to see what trampoline basketball looked like, this is what came up.

stoked

such good friends...

We just got one about 2 weeks ago and the kids have used it pretty much every day since. By day 4, both kids were doing back flips.

SpringFree trampoline just like this one:

No springs to come through on the edge, the net keeps them from bouncing out, and importantly, the zip entry area comes with a lock on it.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    We just got one about 2 weeks ago and the kids have used it pretty much every day since. By day 4, both kids were doing back flips.

SpringFree trampoline just like this one:

No springs to come through on the edge, the net keeps them from bouncing out, and importantly, the zip entry area comes with a lock on it.
    I can't see the pic for some reason... anyway, how old are your kids? just curious.

19, 16,15,14,10.

13, not 14. Oops.

You have 5 kids? +++vibes+++
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

My Friends across the street had a very nice Ground level Rectangular trampoline. When I was 11, 12 years old. We lived on that thing.

Got tweaked a few time's trying to do doubles, Flips with full twists ect. But never put anyone in the hospital.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    You have 5 kids? +++vibes+++
    Ha. Thanks.

My childhood was spent on my trampoline failing to create a parachute with a sheet.

We used ours incessantly. I was launched off in every direction and attitude possible ending with many winds knocked out, sprained shit, bruised ribs, and miraculously never a broken bone.

We would climb on the roof and jump onto it from there and also from the top of our playhouse, which was two stories, and had a bowsprit that held the climbing rope. We'd walk the plank on it then dive bomb until right at the last second when we would curl into a ball and go flying.

Between that, BB gun fights, and hoisting myself into trees with hemp ropes that would sometimes snap, I had a full childhood and only broke a bone playing football.

Buy the damn thing and let your kids learn about gravity the fun way.

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    Buy the damn thing and let your kids learn about gravity the fun way.
    heres a picture of one of my kids "learning" about gravity

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gravity.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	137263

(he's a freeheeler)

We got one after my kid went to trampoline camp, she is always on it.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Maybe a dopey question, but, do you think it really helps a person to ski better? I can see for anything inverted but for just skiing around taking hits here and there? I think it would but maybe I am just trying to justify getting one for "the kids".

Anything that gets kids outside and away from the Xbox is good for skiing. Injury rates in gym class have skyrocketed because tons of kids don't do anything athletic.