Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    And seriously, you have a 16 year old. In two more years, he'll be 18, which means it's time for...

GIRLS JUMPING ON TRAMPOLINES!!!

I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    What about that net/fence thing? Do these things make it less dangerous?
    I've not seen one w/ a net around it. The ones I've seen look a bit more sturdy than that.

man , people in pittsburgh love their trampolines. there are like 7 or so in my neighborhood alone.

Silent....but shredly.

They are pretty fun to fuck on.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

We've had one for a couple of years now, and not to jinx but no major incidents but lots of little ones. Kids are only 6 and 8 though.

There are very few kids, if any, they hang around with who I am tempted to keep off the tramp for fear of a lawsuit, but that's just us.

Oh, and it is old and rickety with a couple of pinholes in the mat. Hand me down from my bro's neighbor. His is worse- has had it for at least a dozen years and NOBODY is tired of it, even his college freshman. They call it " danger tramp" lol...
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    They are pretty fun to fuck on.
    I don't want my kids Rollin around in splooge. But that's just me...

We call them Mormon Swimming Pools.

The pic of the round one with netting, we got that from Wal Mart +-$200 had it for 4 years. nothing major happened, but eventually 4-5 of the springs tore out and the netting went to shit, so we put it in the dumpster.

I have no doubt junior did some pretty stupid shit on it but hey. I never found out. No insurance issues that I recall.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    I don't want my kids Rollin around in splooge. But that's just me...
    So the kids can't go where anywhere Old Larry and Mrs. Larry bump ugly's?. Where are they allowed to go? Your room, laundryroom, bathroom, hot tub, kitchen, sofa, lazyboy, car, backyard, front yard, deck, dock, sauna? Where, where is a splooge free zone?
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

So the kids can't go where anywhere Old Larry and Mrs. Larry bump ugly's?. Where are they allowed to go? Your room, laundryroom, bathroom, hot tub, kitchen, sofa, lazyboy, car, backyard, front yard, deck, dock, sauna? Where, where is a splooge free zone?
    Mrs. Larry wasn't involved.
    Silent....but shredly.

No way that thing fits in the washing machine and bleach will break down the fibers...

you know what to do
    [ video ] insert video here [ / video ]

Yeah, the ones with netting work really well. Saved me from eating shit to ground many times.

Make sure you put it in the front yard, it will blend right in with the couches.

We had a couple of them over the course of about 12 years. The round ones are supposedly safer as they tend to push the bouncer towards the center.

My girls both spent a lot of time on a rectangular gymnastics trampoline so we wound up buying one of those. They both knew what they were doing so I didn't worry about them too much. That said, both girls wound up in the ER at least once. A neighbor kid fell off the side and cut his head open on the lanscape edging once. that was gnarly.

I never liked having it when the girls had friends over. We forced the rule of one kid at a time and we always used a net.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    GIRLS JUMPING ON TRAMPOLINES!!!
    That gave me wood.

And definitely forbid jumping on it while also using the garden hose,,, Not tthat my kids ever did anything like that,,,

I would go with the net, try your best for the one at a time rule, also consider where you are going to position it on your property. Not close enough to the roof or deck to leap from, tree limbs, tree house, etc, etc .... Just thinking of things I would be looking to leap from.

In case the OP doesn't know, I think landing somewhere other than on the trampoline isn't actually the biggest risk statistically. Probably more like thrashing one's neck from an under- or over-rotation.

The thread needs this, though...

My kids loved ours. The net helps contain the carnage a little bit. We've had twenty kids on ours at one time. I was the only one to ever get hurt badly. Cracked rib during a cage match.

I was once on a flight with an attorney for Walmart. All he did was fight trampoline lawsuits, full time.

we have one. all three boys are on it all the time (not at the same time), weather permitting. they get pretty good at tricks then go do the tricks on skis and really take a risk!
    Last edited by oftpiste; 04-30-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Just have a webcam running all the time for those magic moments

I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I was in the same situation as the OP, except I was the one that wanted one (well, my boys), and my wife was totally against it. She cited the common reasons not to get a trampoline:

1. Insurance would go up or we'd be dropped - so I called the insurance company and asked them directly what the policy was. I didn't lie that we have no fence, and no way to keep neighborhood kids off of it. They put me on hold, and I expected to be dropped just for asking the question. It turns out that it doesn't affect a damn thing. We're fully covered (your policy may obviously differ).

2. Liability - our hood is full of lawyers so I asked several of them. Apparently it carries no more liability than someone running across your yard and injuring themselves.

3. Danger / injury - Lots of nurses in the hood too, and they all have horror stories. However, a little investigation into the statistics and it turns out that the majority of injuries are kids who do not own the trampoline, but are visiting.

So game on. I bought my boys a 14'x14' trampoline with safety net, and it has been awesome. They literally spend all day bouncing on it (April through November, two years now), and the shit they can do is amazing. Our backyard has become the cool hangout.

We have a few simple rules:
    1. No more than 3 kids on it at a time - period (when playing games like sit wars, etc)
    2. If someone is bouncing then only that person can be on it - period.
    3. If a kid is going to try inverted anything then they have to have their parents call me and tell me they're okay with it.
    4. Nobody, not even my own kids, are allowed on the trampoline if there are no adults home.

So far it's been great. My boys have gained incredible air-awareness, and my older son is even beginning to look like a gymnast (he's an obsessed new schooler big air kind of kid).

I just wish I had more time to bounce myself ...
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    1. Insurance would go up or we'd be dropped - so I called the insurance company and asked them directly what the policy was. I didn't lie that we have no fence, and no way to keep neighborhood kids off of it. They put me on hold, and I expected to be dropped just for asking the question. It turns out that it doesn't affect a damn thing. We're fully covered (your policy may obviously differ).
    Just so you and others are aware, insurance can and probably will drop you like a bad habit if anyone sues. My 65 y/o retired parents have this sweet 30lb dog named sweet pea. The thing is the most lovable dog in the world. Wouldn't hurt a fly. Some lady was standing in the middle of the dog park, some dogs were playing, sweet pea bumped into this lady. She fucking sued claiming it caused her knee problems. The insurance company settled and dropped my parents that have never had a claim for anything in their lives. Don't just trust insurance companies.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.