Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTF-Fight at 25,000ft....

Police in Nepal are investigating an alleged fight between two famous European climbers and their Nepalese mountain guides on Mount Everest.

Switzerland's Ueli Steck and Simone Moro from Italy were nearing Camp Three at 7,470m (24,500ft) when the incident occurred.

The fight allegedly broke out after the pair ignored orders to hold their climb while the Sherpas were rigging ropes.

The guides reportedly attacked the pair after they returned to their tents.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22336540

Dude, what the fuck!? I went for a 4 mile run at 400ft above sea level this morning and I’m still hacking up last nights vapo hits, who the fuck gets into a fight at 25k on Mt Everest....
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Bummer, sounds like some cultural differences. Those two are monsters, it's not surprising that they wanted to pass up the guides and keep moving quickly. On the other hand, it's the most commercialized mountain in the world and they probably weren't thinking about the hundred of Sherpas that wanted to prep for the season in relative safety.

Hugh Conway Guest

Or climbing past and over guys setting fixed lines. Pretty basic alpine rule
    to not do that shit. Ever have ice fall......Then again ? Vape hits, sooooo 1997.

Gotta side with the sherpas on that one... Kicking ice and rock down on a team fixing ropes 'cause you're in a hurry? When you know they're there and you agreed to wait? Fuck 'em.

What's the story with all the cocksuckers on Everest? I read some other article a while back to the effect that climbers no longer feel like it's their responsibility to help eachother when people get hurt - something along the lines of "why should I have to interrupt my life changing experience to help anyone? - I paid to be here, it's not my fault someone got hurt"... I can't imagine that sort of thing going down in AK when a group gets slid. WTF is going on there? Anyone got any first hand experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Where do we send money?
    off your knees Louie

Here's an account. It sounds like they were in the right, but I don't know enough about climbing really. Plus, only one side of the story. Still, a lynch mob????

Update: Here is a statement by Steck and Moro from the team’s NO2 expedition page:

At about 8am on 27th April 2013 Simone Moro (IT), Ueli Steck (CH), and Jonathan Griffith (UK) left Camp 2 to reach a tent at around 7200m (lower Camp 3) on the Lhotse Face of Mount Everest. A team of high altitude sherpas were ‘fixing’ the Lhotse face and the climbers were asked to not touch the fixed ropes they were establishing. As such the trio climbed about 50m away and to the side of the Sherpa team to avoid disturbing them in their work. It should be noted that all three climbers have extensive climbing experience all over the world and were very aware of the work being carried out by the Sherpas and the respect given to them for it.

When the three climbers reached the height of their already established tent, they traversed across the snow and were forced to step over the lines of the Sherpas to reach their tent about 20 meters to the side. The climbers chose to step across the lines at a belay stance where 4 other sherpas were attached to the ice face whilst their lead climber continued to fix the line above. Stepping over the lines does not interfere in any way with the work being carried out. The climbers were soloing and not using ropes so there was no rope tangling either. In addition by passing beneath the lead climber no ice or snow could be knocked down on him.

Jonathan Griffith was in the lead at this point and after crossing the rope and traversing another 15 meters on a snow ramp Ueli Steck followed. At the point where Ueli Steck stepped over the rope the lead climber noticed the climbers below and began shouting and banging the ice with his axe erratically. Still shouting down at the climbers, he fixed his rope and abseiled down to the belay stance. As Ueli was soloing and therefore not attached to a rope it was natural that he should hold his hands up to take the impact of the force arriving on him from the lead climber abseiling right on to him. This prompted the lead climber to accuse Ueli Steck of ‘touching him’. In between hitting the ice with all his force and screaming at Ueli Steck ‘why you touch me’ he said that they had kicked ice down on them and injured a Sherpa. Seeing as the trio were climbing a completely independent line and entirely on snow this is highly unlikely.

Ueli Steck tried to help calm the situation by offering to help fix the lines up to Camp 3 but this only made matters worse. Simone Moro then joined the team and the lead climber turned on him wielding his ice axe in his direction. Simone swore at the lead climber as is the natural reaction when faced with this aggression. No amount of talking would calm the lead Sherpa down and as a final act of defiance he ordered his whole team of 17 Sherpas off the Lhotse Face and back to Camp 2. There was no reason to descend off the mountain because of the three climbers. They had not touched or interfered with the Sherpa’s work. To help smooth things over Ueli Steck fixed a further 260m of rope to Camp 3.

By the time the climbers descended back to Camp 2 some 100 Sherpas had grouped together and attacked the three climbers. They became instantly aggressive and not only punched and kicked the climbers, but threw many rocks as well. A small group of Westerners acted as a buffer between the out of control mob and the climbers, and they owe their lives to these brave and selfless people. Nevertheless all three climbers were attacked as well as many of the Westerners who were trying to calm the situation down. The climbers were told that by that night one of them would be dead and the other two they would see to later. After about 50 minutes the crowd had calmed down and the climbers, who had been pushed away and told to hide, had regrouped and were told that if they weren’t gone in one hour that they would all be killed.

The climbers packed the bare essentials and made a circuitous route back down to the base of Mount Everest in heavily crevassed terrain with no rope on, feeling that given the current situation this was the safest place to be.

The Sherpas said that the reason they attacked the climbers was because they had knocked ice down on a Sherpa below. As it stands no Sherpa has come forward to show any injury. Furthermore on an ice face getting hit by chunks of ice is a very natural occurrence. The climbers believe that the lead Sherpa was tired and cold and felt that his pride had been damaged as the three climbers were moving unroped and much faster to the side of him. Whatever the reason may be, there is no reason to instigate vigilante rule and to try and kill three visiting climbers.

The Nepalese authorities have taken the matter very seriously as have commercial teams on the mountain. At the moment the 3 ring leaders have been taken off the mountain and the Police, Ministry of Tourism and the head of the Sherpa Association are investigating.

The three climbers would like to extend a huge thank you to all those who saved their lives at Camp 2 and to those who are now taking over the investigation.”
    http://gearjunkie.com/fist-fight-on-mount-everest

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
    Here's an account. It sounds like they were in the right, but I don't know enough about climbing really. Plus, only one side of the story. Still, a lynch mob????

http://gearjunkie.com/fist-fight-on-mount-everest
    Woah - one side put out a statement that says their side is in the right? That's a shocker. Particularly when one side is a bunch of media-enabled Westerners.

Yea exactly-What are they going to say

"we were rad fast and could give a fuck all about sherpas and ice fall. Hey we get paid to look hot in our gear and to haul ass. Those dirty slow rope setting slaves should know who's boss" It is everest and none of us could really relate. I guess it could kinda be like a chopper setting down with the rotors washing snow down a chute while your booting up. That place is a pay per climb shit. I would expect more from these guys though. They know the score.

"The climbers believe that the lead Sherpa was tired and cold and felt that his pride had been damaged as the three climbers were moving unroped and much faster to the side of him."

Yeah, the badass lead Sherpa dude is so in awe of these Euros' climbing ability, fitness, and tight fitting mountaineering gear that he just can't help himself and throws a fit on the side of Everest 'cause his pride was wounded? Fah Q. Respect the locals, douches. It's their mountain and their livelihood.
    I've got a buddy that I work with who is a Sherpa (and probably the nicest dude in the world) that used to work on Everest, I'll talk to him and see if he's heard anything about the Sherpas' side of the story.

Sherpas are men of the mountain. I think they know more than some euro climbers. So at this point with this information I support the Sherpas. Though fighting isn't always the best way to settle disputes.

If only someone had thought to bring a gun, this entire tragedy could have been avoided...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Sherpas don't have names?
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

climbing in europe is all about passing/getting passed since it's so damned crowded, maybe this bit of culture was a part of it. what a shit show.

shouldn't this be in the 'summits forum'?

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    they all look the same to me, right?
    crab in my shoe mouth

I can imagine you are trying to bring up race purely to be a turd-

Sherpas perform many jobs on everest and they all have names. Just like when they refer to people as climbers. Think of it like a western sport-you know they referees,umpires,judges? They don't identify them as Mr. Black official Rogers. Or Line Judge Carol Brady. Not a bias.

What is there to investigate? Why are they trying to? Someone risked someone else's life at or near the death zone and they can't take a punch without reporting it to the authorities? These vaginas need their mountain man card pulled immediately. "Heee, sniff sniff, heeeee hit meeee!" I'd say he's lucky he didn't get a crampon to the perineum.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Well, there's the funny lookin' one, the REAL funny lookin' one, the one that sort of seems like Corky, 'cept for being a darkie and all that... There's a bunch... shit - I can't really tell 'em apart.

What are you getting at exactly?
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Hearing on the news that this gal, Melissa Arnott, helped break up the fight. I believe it.

The Sheriff is near!

I definitely don't want a hand job from that chick.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Eagerly awaiting the rich white guy's version of the story in Outside magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    I definitely don't want a hand job from that chick.
    esp. if she has some foreign herp's potential to pass along
    b

One's probably pissed off that he had to be Mr. Pink.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by OFF!lax View Post
    I can imagine you are trying to bring up race purely to be a turd-

Sherpas perform many jobs on everest and they all have names. Just like when they refer to people as climbers. Think of it like a western sport-you know they referees,umpires,judges? They don't identify them as Mr. Black official Rogers. Or Line Judge Carol Brady. Not a bias.
    Could be race, could be a class conflict between them and 'well funded' capital W western climbers. Could be something else going on fueling the tension.

It's striking in the quoted account that the three climbers are listed by name and none of the other Sherpas, not even the lead one setting the ropes who started the fight, is named.

Is he an entitled descendant of Tenzing Norgay, whose hallowed reputation is being protected? Is the climbing culture at Everest one where these guys aren't being named because it's in some way disrespectful to do so? Or because they don't matter enough to the hordes that flock there to learn their names? Something in between maybe?
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Could be race, could be a class conflict between them and 'well funded' capital W western climbers. Could be something else going on fueling the tension.

It's striking in the quoted account that the three climbers are listed by name and none of the other Sherpas, not even the lead one setting the ropes who started the fight, is named.

Is he an entitled descendant of Tenzing Norgay, whose hallowed reputation is being protected? Is the climbing culture at Everest one where these guys aren't being named because it's in some way disrespectful to do so? Or because they don't matter enough to the hordes that flock there to learn their names? Something in between maybe?
    Because racism. duh...

They're probably gay too.
    Hugh Conway sucks