Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Loveland Pass avalanche 4.20.13

Hoping for a good outcome and safety of rescuers...

Sent from my DROID4 using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Why did you bother to start a thread with no information in it?

edit - not gonna make jokes in this thread.

Where was this slide exactly?
    Last edited by SheRa; 04-20-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

News say 5 burried up on loveland pass.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    The information will come. Both summit and alpine SAR responded. Loveland pass is closed. Facebook and the news indicate 5 buried and there are survivors.

Fuck! Fucking retards. I truly do want to know if they were on marijuana. Honestly, it should/can be a part of a story. It does affect decision making.

Yes, I know it's too early to speculate, but the fact that FIVE are buried is shedding light on some things....

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    Placemarker.

Where was this slide exactly?
    Facebook says sheep creek

damn, that is bad bad news. be careful out there.
    Last edited by ate'em; 04-20-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: not the time for weed jokes

No I forgot about that completely. Thanks for the link. I reread page one. Will read the rest too.

Well I haven't been in the backcountry really this season. Having a ton of fun in bounds. Climbed up on the east wall to start trying to get some feel for what's out there. There's just been so much snow lately.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

In any case, I consider sheep creek to be very tricky. Like idiots or kitchen wall, to be respected and not skied with a ton of new snow on it.
    Henry David Thoreau

From 2005:

" Today Dale Atkins and I went an took a look at this avalanche in Sheep Creek on Loveland Pass. Here is what we found.

Someone (we at the CAIC would love to talk with them and will keep it private if they want) had a VERY close call on Sunday above the closed Loveland Valley ski area. A group of 4 backcountry skiers/riders triggered a medim-sized (class 2) hard/soft slab (sorry Mir, the debris where not hard as concrete), with a maximum fractureline depth of 135cm/53 inches (sorry Blurredelevens it wasn't close to 10 feet deep. Maybe it was the afternoon light..) and 200 feet wide on a North/Northeast aspect (Mir, what was the aspect you where on today at Loveland? ) above treeline.

It looks like one person was at least partly buried in the gully right at the very toe of the debris (can you say terrain trap? ). We found the burial hole. Someone was buried waist to chest deep.... We don't know the story behind this avalanche, but this is what we suspect from looking at the tracks. The person caught was the first person down and had traversed on a bench (old jeep trail). The person caught was awaiting his/her friends. We suspect that one of the the other three companions remotely triggered the avalanche as they skied to the east (skier's right). The person caught was waiting in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is a chance the avalanche was triggered from the bench, but so late in the season we're not sure, though we did get a small collapes/whumpf to the east of the debris. I have actually, triggered this slope once from below (compression failure). But, that was during early winter when you can do this a lot easier.

It is hard to say which layer sheared first in the snowpack (maybe the folks that triggered this avalanche can tell us). There are areas that show the avalanche "stepped down" first and then went into the deeper snowpack. Shovel shear tests, compression tests show all sort of weakness's within the snowpack, with quality 1 and 2 shears. The bedsurface was a one finger hard layer of depth hoar 23 cm above the ground and 1 cm thick. Below this one finger hard layer of depth hoar was glove/fist hard 4-6 mm size depth hoar and cupped crystal depth hoar crystals. There is also a very weak layer at 78-81 cm. This layer is a glove/fist plus hard layer of rounded poly-crystals. The layer above this is a 1 finger hard layer of (4cm thick) bonded poly-crystals, that have a fair amount of dirt/dust on them.

Sheep Creek on Loveland Pass is a notorious terrain trap area. But, it is so easy to access, so that's why so many folks have had incidents here. It really is an area to avoid.

PLEASE use caution and evaluate steep slopes and gullies carefully. It will take a little time for these winter-like slabs to consolidate. Think "WINTER" rather than "SPRING." There has been between 3-4 feet of new snow along the Divide in the last week. The calendar may say it's "spring," but reality is we're still in "winter." Steep, fresh wind-loaded gullies should probably be avoided until after several days of significant thaw. Then timing your descents to avoid wet slides during hot afternoons is VERY important.

Mir, if you had showed up you could have come along.

Cheers,
    Halsted Morris
    CAIC

Last edited by Hacksaw; 05-02-2005 at 06:59 PM. "

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Fuck!
    Yes, I know it's too early to speculate, but the fact that FIVE are buried is shedding light on some things....
    THIS! SAD. RIP.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Yeah I climbed the East Wall last Saturday before the big snow came and with all the sugar down there and the old layer I can't understand how people think it is safe to head out after the huge snow.

Vibes to the dead, friends and family. Terrible.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 04-21-2013 at 07:06 AM.

Good fucking lord. Terrible news...but Jesus, people...

You know why.

"Hey everyone! Listen to me! Me! Me! Me!

Me knows things, but me will enlighten you who are not me when me is ready!"

"Hey guys! Did you hear about me?"
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Ok, that was about Porcupine, thanks from reminding me of that day. So many years ago.

Glad the relevent part about sheep creek got pulled up into this thread.

I have been starting to itch for some climbing. Been trying to consider about what aspect and elevation would be good to ski in the coming weeks. And I admit I was considering north, but below treeline. Lots to think about. All this new snow, it's definitely not corn time.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    You know why.

"Hey everyone! Listen to me! Me! Me! Me!

Me knows things, but me will enlighten you who are not me when me is ready!"

"Hey guys! Did you hear about me?"
    Hahaa, yeah, that Summit!

fuck, that sucks.

++vibes++

Edit: I don't know much about Summit, or his supposed tendency to self-aggrandize, but who cares? he is incredibly knowledgable about a lot of different subjects....we can't all be poop throwing monkeys on here, someone has to bring the smahtz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Exactly.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Where exactly is sheep creek?