Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    T or F?

I'm pretty sure Summit works in a position of advanced knowledge... meaning he is directly involved in a lot of these situations (via remote operations).

I'm glad he posts up this stuff. Even though I think he is an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Where exactly is sheep creek?
    https://maps.google.com/maps/myplace...z=360&t=h&z=16

Please respect the situation. We are still here.

I appreciate when someone fires up a thread as soon as there is an issue like this. Doubly so when it is someone with a clue like summit. Info can fill in - whether that be specific safety info, or info on folks in the community/folks close to the community.

Yes, there were self-absorbed uncaring assholes who posted early in the thread. Summit isn't isn't of them.

Vibes to all.

Very sad news indeed

I hope that in the Slide Zone, which tends to be the closest thing TGR has to a professional forum, we can stick to respectful discussion of the tragedy now and educational observations once we have the information required.

If someone would like to pursue a personal attacks, feel free to start a callout thread in the padded room.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

CAIC pretty much hit the nail on the head this morning:

Significant snowfall and strong southerly and northwesterly winds earlier this week overloaded very weak layers that formed near the bottom of the snowpack in November and December. These lurking deep instabilities have been intermittently sensitive to triggering all season long. They remain weakest and most problematic on north through northeast to east aspects near and above treeline where the snowpack is still cold and winter-like. It is easy to gain a false sense of confidence as many tracks are laid down on these deep persistent slabs without incident. Most of the recent slides were on north and northeast aspects near treeline, but large slides are possible wherever you find stiffer, wind-drifted snow over deeply buried weak layers. You are most likely to trigger them from areas of shallow snow along the margins of thicker hard slabs today.

Fresh wind slabs up to 3 feet thick are another problem on north through east to southeast aspects near and above treeline.

Sorry. I think professionalism and human decency requires waiting to post up a thread with.......

nothing
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Please respect the situation. We are still here.
    THIS.

Save the shit flinging.

One of my friends (who is also a maggot) was there and one of the first responders. Respectfully refrain from making assumptions about those involved.

Vibes for those close to the victims. Fuck, this sucks.
    Last edited by adrenalated; 04-20-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Vibes.....
    fuck.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

6 in a week, I'm getting sick to my stomach.

I hope we can learn from this.
    I have more skis and bikes than Facebook friends.

Was on the pass today. Touring off the ridge toward the ironing board etc. Heard the slide (but didn't process it as such) then the sirens. Condolences to everyone involved.

However, as someone who works at Loveland and spends a LOT of time in the area I will question what they were doing in Sheep Creek? I'm sorry, but frankly given CAICs assessment of the current conditions that gully was not the place to be holding a backcountry gathering. I am more than willing to take the flames for this, but this tragedy could've been avoided easily...

I'm just so sad/frustrated that a bunch of people had to die for no real reason today...
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Just talked to KansasBoarder: he and his P4P buddies are not involved.

Official information supposedly to be released presently...
    Last edited by Summit; 04-20-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: removed speculation
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    fuck, that sucks.

++vibes++

Edit: I don't know much about Summit, or his supposed tendency to self-aggrandize, but who cares? he is incredibly knowledgable about a lot of different subjects....we can't all be poop throwing monkeys on here, someone has to bring the smahtz.
    at least you know your place flinging poo

Such a tragic accident
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

We lost a local member of the tribe today and some other heavy hitters as well.

http://mtnweekly.com/news/loveland-p...y-snowboarders

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    We lost a local member of the tribe today and some other heavy hitters as well.

http://mtnweekly.com/news/loveland-p...y-snowboarders
    Thanks for the spam and no new info.

Tragic. Vibes

Terrible, just terrible.

Hearing that 5 experienced backcountry enthusiasts were killed in a single slide really makes you think...think about your education, the folks you ski/ride with, how you evaluate your terrain, etc etc. Am I doing absolutely everything I can to ensure my life and my partners' safety out there?

Scary. Prayers to all the families and a thank you to the responders.

EDIT: From the CAIC website:
    A group of six snowboarders were caught in an avalanche in the Sheep Creek area near Loveland Pass. Five of the riders will killed. The group may have triggered the avalanche form below the start zone, low in the avalanche path. The avalanche released into old snow layers. Approximate dimensions of the crown face of the avalanche are 4 feet deep and 500 feet wide.

To summarize the only conclusions anyone can legitimately draw at this point before everyone feeds each other more shit sandwiches

Scroll down to find a map of Loveland Slide paths, Sheep Creek is NW of Sniktau, I tried to post the map itself but it was too large.
    http://www.avalanchemapping.org/Avatlas.htm

This is all CAIC has released as of 9:30 pm
    https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/ac...05&view=public

From multiple sources confirmed that all were wearing beacons and one may have been an actual guide.
    Photos of the debris from the Denver Post
    http://photos.denverpost.com/2013/04...veland-pass/#4

I'm pretty sure this slide occurred in the afternoon so my guess is names and more info won't be available until tomorrow. Until then everyone try not to make any statements they will later regret. Truly a sad day, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    In any case, I consider sheep creek to be very tricky. Like idiots or kitchen wall, to be respected and not skied with a ton of new snow on it.
    You and I have been there. I spent the afternoon involved there...
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Thanks for the level heads guys. I would not wish what happened today on anyone. I can share in a few days once it all settles.

Sleep well. Thanks for being there.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

The most amazing thing is the lack of disrespect in this thread for folks involved and killed. What the fuck is wrong with you people slinging shit about dead, fellow shreds?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Sleep well. Thanks for being there.
    I'll try. Meanwhile, time to send CAIC photos.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"