Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

South America 2013

Alright, I think it's about time to get this started. So who is going where, when?

I'll be climbing and skiing in Peru from May 9 till June sometime, and then in Las Leñas for the season.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a place to stay in LL's Gringo Ghetto this year, PM me.

And, more info on skiing in South America than you can shake a stick at:

South America 2012
    South America 2011
    South America 2010
    South America 2009
    South America 2008
    South America 2007

South America Ski

Snow Forecast Argentina Ski Resorts
    Snow Forecast Chile Ski Resorts

i hope to go for 1 to 2 months, would prefer to do august+september, not sure if it will work out.
    i will be in peru though from may 6 to may 23, unfortunately not for skiing but for some field work, mainly in artesonraju area, where will you go for skiing?

freak~[&]

My son will likely be working for the new re-constituted SASS Global Travel (http://www.sassglobaltravel.com/) out of Bariloche this austral winter.
    So my son and I are planning a few weeks of spring volcano skiing in Sept/Oct (Lanin, Tronador, etc.) after his work season is done. As times get closer, we will check back to see if anyone in the neighborhood wants to join us to share costs and make a bigger party. Also prospecting to see if any of our Colorado friends want to join us, cause 2 people is kind of small party for remote glacier travel without the support systems we are used to in Colorado. Planning on some of the mellower routes found in the ski guide, "Chile - Argentina, Handbook of Ski Mountaineering in the Andes" (http://www.belupress.com/en/index.html) on both the Chile and Argentina sides. Lowest common denominator rules, so we will be moving at my old fart pace, slow and steady.

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    i will be in peru though from may 6 to may 23, unfortunately not for skiing but for some field work, mainly in artesonraju area, where will you go for skiing?
    Actually, Artesonraju is the main goal for the trip, but we'll be starting with some lower, easier stuff. If acclimatization goes well, we'll be around Artesonraju the last week of May. What will you be doing there?

mainly maintaining automatic weather stations around some glaciers (artesonraju, caraz & shallap), maybe some glacier mass balance measurements as well. i will leave huaraz for lima on may 22nd though, but could probably give you some information on conditions, camps etc. if you want...

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by tommyvee View Post
    My son will likely be working for the new re-constituted SASS Global Travel (http://www.sassglobaltravel.com/) out of Bariloche this austral winter.
    So my son and I are planning a few weeks of spring volcano skiing in Sept/Oct (Lanin, Tronador, etc.) after his work season is done. As times get closer, we will check back to see if anyone in the neighborhood wants to join us to share costs and make a bigger party. Also prospecting to see if any of our Colorado friends want to join us, cause 2 people is kind of small party for remote glacier travel without the support systems we are used to in Colorado. Planning on some of the mellower routes found in the ski guide, "Chile - Argentina, Handbook of Ski Mountaineering in the Andes" (http://www.belupress.com/en/index.html) on both the Chile and Argentina sides. Lowest common denominator rules, so we will be moving at my old fart pace, slow and steady.
    I'd love to head down mid sept/october. I need to bookmark this thread.

Looks like first snow of the season may be arriving on Friday...

Quote Originally Posted by llyon View Post
    Looks like first snow of the season may be arriving on Friday...
    Lets hope this is the start of good things. Last year was lean.

Ill be guiding at Arpa again this year. July-September. Come ski with me.

Hopefully Ill get some touring in after work ends.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

that looks like such a sick line llyon. Have been dabbing at the thought of heading down to sa. i heard getting a job down there really isn't worth it. but, what would you say living down there would cost?

anyone interesting in a tgr meetup/get together for a week or two?

I'm going july thru sept. Start in Buenos aires and leaving from Santiago. I'm thinking bariloche next then working my way north. Anyone let me know if you have any space and need to fill out a condo/ house etc. Stoked
    surviving in the city, powered by wellbutrin

Just reading this thread...

Me: "I want to go to South America for a month"

Wife: "Too bad. You need money"

Me: "Fuck off, I don't need much money if you stay here and look after the dog"

Wife: /makes a sneering snort through her nose and doesn't even look up.

Life is not lift served.

Stoked. I'll be heading down on the 1st of July. Not sure where yet but hopefully my face will be cold.

I won't be heading down till the beginning of Sept. 1st trip to SA, and going to las Lenas.

Best way to book the bus from Mendoza is to call?

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    I won't be heading down till the beginning of Sept. 1st trip to SA, and going to las Lenas.

Best way to book the bus from Mendoza is to call?
    Should be fine to book it in person a few hours ahead of time. Calling wouldn't be a good option, might be able to do it online. The two companies that go are Iselin and Cata.

ok - thanks! I had only heard of CATA.

Another quick question - I assume there is a place that I can fill my BCA airbag in Las Lenas, or Mendoza?

Last year, the closest place to Lenas to do it was Los Reyunos in San Rafael. They are an outdoor club with scuba equipment. The guy to talk to there is Daniel.
    http://www.losreyunossanrafael.com/

There is a BCA dealer in Mendoza and they have somewhere they fill canisters, but I dont have their information. It also might be that there is a way to fill canisters in Lenas this year, I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by JJChit View Post
    that looks like such a sick line llyon. Have been dabbing at the thought of heading down to sa. i heard getting a job down there really isn't worth it. but, what would you say living down there would cost?

anyone interesting in a tgr meetup/get together for a week or two?

depends on what type of job you can get.

living costs depend on where you are, argentina is cheaper than chile. you can hostel it for 10 bucks a night and cook to make it extremely cheap or you can get an apartment in bariloche, ushuaia, san martin de los andes, marlague/los molles for a couple to a few hundred bucks a month.

but the hookers and cocaine do take a good chunk out of the bank account, even in south america.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Just reading this thread...

Me: "I want to go to South America for a month"

Wife: "Too bad. You need money"

Me: "Fuck off, I don't need much money if you stay here and look after the dog"

Wife: /makes a sneering snort through her nose and doesn't even look up.

Proud of you for having the balls to ask. At least she did not cut them off.
    Looking forward to the stoke!
    Last edited by lynchdogger; 05-10-2013 at 05:20 AM.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by tommyvee View Post
    Hope he gets paid.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Blue dollar is over 10 to 1... looks like Argentina might be getting cheap again!

http://dolarblue.net/

Hi all,
    I'm looking in to snowboarding in a northern resort of Argentina, probably Las Lenas, starting June. To save costs I'm thinking of staying out of resort, Malague looks most likely, and then travelling in to ride. Does anyone have any advice on this, ie is it doable or too far for a frequent journey (most days)? Any recommendations on cheap accomodation? And I realise it's slim to none, but the possibility of getting any work out there (I speak Spanish, but not fluently)?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyBrooks View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm looking in to snowboarding in a northern resort of Argentina, probably Las Lenas, starting June. To save costs I'm thinking of staying out of resort, Malague looks most likely, and then travelling in to ride. Does anyone have any advice on this, ie is it doable or too far for a frequent journey (most days)? Any recommendations on cheap accomodation? And I realise it's slim to none, but the possibility of getting any work out there (I speak Spanish, but not fluently)?
    Thanks

nord patagonia is a cheap hostel in marlague, ten bucks a night. then there is a bus that runs twice daily (to and from) las leans otherwise you would have to have a car or arrange transport through your hostel or tour agency in town.

Marlague used to be a pretty cool option to make las lenas extremely cheap mostly due to 10 dollar hostels and a 50 percent discount off of lift tickets at the mountain, but the discounted tickets were discontinued last year. so marlague may not be the best option anymore. los molles is more practical.

jobs at las lenas: Si deseas trabajar en Las Leñas favor de enviar CV a empleos@laslenas.com.

Valle de Las Leñas

arrived in huaraz in the morning, mountains look huge, pretty and quite white...

illyon, let me know if you want to meet for a beer in huaraz...

freak~[&]