Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should I spend more than a hundred on a rice cooker?

My cheap Costco rice cooker just died. What's the next step up? Best value?

Cheap crock pot and expensive timer is the way to go.

The Teflon in the bowl wears out after lots of regular use so I consider rice cookers to be a consumable. All it needs is to boil water and have a working thermostat so it turns off when the water is gone - if it has a microchip it is way too complicated (and every one I've had which does have a chip has broken after a few uses). Forget a hundred, you shouldn't spend more than about $25 on a rice cooker.

Buy a rice cooker from an Asian family's garage sale. Best $3 I ever spent.

But yes, now I have one of those rice cooker, slow cooker, pressure cooker combos. Love that too.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    The Teflon in the bowl wears out after lots of regular use so I consider rice cookers to be a consumable. All it needs is to boil water and have a working thermostat so it turns off when the water is gone - if it has a microchip it is way too complicated (and every one I've had which does have a chip has broken after a few uses). Forget a hundred, you shouldn't spend more than about $25 on a rice cooker.
    At least in the US the $15 ones don't have a Teflon coating so they'll last until the Thermistor blows, at which point you can replace it for a couple $

switch from rice to quinoa and use a covered pot on a stove

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    switch from rice to quinoa and use a covered pot on a stove
    Why do you hate Andean peasants?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Do they taste better with a side of quinoa?

I don't understand how a rice cooker can be any easier than a pan on the stove. And it's another piece of junk to store, clean, replace...how do those things make any sense at all?

spook Guest
    just don't buy a pressure cooker.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I don't understand how a rice cooker can be any easier than a pan on the stove. And it's another piece of junk to store, clean, replace...how do those things make any sense at all?
    Put rice and water in, push button.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    The ones who kidnap and beat up young Wyoming ecoadventurewirememoneyplease tourists?

Since white rice is bad for you (per wife who knows everything)...do rice cookers do well with brown rice?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    Since white rice is bad for you (per wife who knows everything)...do rice cookers do well with brown rice?
    Yes, just add a bit more water, and cooking time increases. Mine does not do well with the black (forbidden) rice tho...

jgb@etree Guest
    Hurry up and buy a new one fast before they are banned.

I have a Zojirushi that I got over 10 years ago. I've gone though 1 or 2 teflon pots. They still sell the parts. I think it makes better rice than the cheap one it replaced.

yes definitely, mine has a brown rice setting, turns out better than perfect every time. makes people that thought they 'didnt like' brown rice love the stuff. cant lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    I have a Zojirushi that I got over 10 years ago. I've gone though 1 or 2 teflon pots. They still sell the parts. I think it makes better rice than the cheap one it replaced.
    x2 on this. I have a Zojirushi, maybe my single favorite kitchen appliance. haters go ahead and hate. i love my perfect rice.

Mine does a great job with brown rice.

The fuzzy logic ones are also very tolerant of you not getting the perfect water to rice ratio. They figure out how to cook it even if you get it wrong.

Pay attention... 2 cups rice, 3 cups liquid, maybe a pat of butter... bring to a boil uncovered, stir, cover, heat to simmer and set timer for 17 minutes

bada boom perfect rice every time.

What's so hard about that?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Ever been to a sushi place with a pan on the stove?

As said, rice, water, close, push button. Pretty much perfect every time. Also, it stays pretty good for a day, if you like cold rice.

I was really skeptical of rice cookers until I had a roommate who was from Japan. He used on everyday, and said he used one back t home with his family. Now that I have one I don't know if I could give it up. Makes good rice every time without any worrying.

You should either get the Audi RS6 Avant with a manual transmission that they only sell in Europe or the Subaru Outback Rosie O'Donnell Edition.
    I still call it The Jake.

People who don't understand rice cookers don't eat rice as a daily food. We use ours every day, but our dutch oven makes the best rice in the world.

Benny, it depends on how many mouths there are to feed and if you want a timer. (of course you do.) 100$ is not too much for a quality kitchen tool, imo. But you can quickly outgrow one that is too small.

We cook a LOT of rice, and have a Tiger rice cooker. Rice is perfect every time, and the thing last and lasts. Ours is over 10 years old and is like new. Quality is very high.