Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Dealing with a used car salesman

So there's a truck listed for $7700 and I told the guy I only had $7000 to spend, cash money. He says $7500. Can I hold out - do you think he'll sell it for $7000?
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Sure, + tax, though.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Usually the first thousand is a give me on used cars. Tell him you recounted your cash and actually only have $6700. Leave him you e-mail and walk out.

Leave him your number and tell him $7k cash is your last final out the door.

Then walk.

It will be weird to see you retire the taco. I always associated that particular truck with you.

I would have said I have 6,000 Cash.

And I would not buy used from a dealer unless he was a close friend and came across a deal. They are pros at putting lipstick on a pig

Buy from a private party and have a mechanic look it over
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Leave him your number and tell him $7k cash is your last final out the door.

Then walk.

It will be weird to see you retire the taco. I always associated that particular truck with you.
    Hehe, bidding on another taco. Mine needs a mechanic type to take over now and I'll be selling it for half of value. Runs great, starts great, but I have ridden it so hard.

Soooo, I saw the ad on craigslist, the truck I want is down in Denver. I talked to him on the phone and told him I only have $7k to spend, which is really true. He has my number and I told him that if he could see a way to sell it to me for $7k, I would buy it. Did I do right? Now I just wait for him to call? How long?

Looking at other trucks on craigslist too of course. I know this truck pretty well but I still feel a little weird making offers sight unseen.

Tax is like 2.5%? A couple of hundred bucks? And I have to buy plates too? Another couple hundred?
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

With the internets pricing on cars is much more efficient. Dealers will use autotrader for comparisons so find the exact vehicle in your vicinity to check local pricing.

You can transfer your current plates, but you are going to still have to pay state sales tax when you register it for the amount on the bill of sale. Sometimes sellers are willing to reduce the written amount on the bill of sale to ease that burden, but it's tax evasion.

Just for giggles here's my current truck
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truck.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	136640

I am making offers on a few trucks that are listed under $8k. I guess we'll see who accepts $7k.
    Henry David Thoreau

You never offer the max you have to spend. That's not how negotiating works.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Have you thought about trade in? Even 3 grand for "push pull or drag" could help out maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Have you thought about trade in? Even 3 grand for "push pull or drag" could help out maybe.
    I would like to do that, didn't get a real good vibe from the salesman though. I do want to sell for $3k.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    You never offer the max you have to spend. That's not how negotiating works.
    Are you saying that for an $8k truck I should offer $6k, with the intent to settle at $7k? Is that how to play this game? Honestly I don't want to spend weeks and weeks chasing a truck. Would like to make a purchase in the next ten days or so.
    Henry David Thoreau

"Burt. This bloke won't haggle!"

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    Are you saying that for an $8k truck I should offer $6k, with the intent to settle at $7k? Is that how to play this game? Honestly I don't want to spend weeks and weeks chasing a truck. Would like to make a purchase in the next ten days or so.
    Possibly. But the thing is, negotiating is usually,
    Here's the price.
    How about this?
    Nope, how about this?
    I can swing this...
    OK

That is usually the best circumstance. If you offer all you have, there is no room to negotiate. If the person won't sell it for 7000 then no truck. If the person would sell it for 7000 and you first offered 6500, you have room to move to your goal. Now 6500 is pushing it for 7700 but you get the idea. Even though you are WILLING and only able to spend 7000 doesn't mean they have to know that. Even taking the first 1000 off and offering 6700 would show you are willing to move up to 7000 and seem more accommodating.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Bobby Stainless Guest
    I buy and sell cars on the side.

Chances are if the truck lists for 7700, he probably bought it for 5000 or so. Maybe less.

Call him back and say that you found another truck that is cheaper, and you need his best price. Otherwise offer him 6k.

What exactly are you looking for? Lots of trucks for sale out there. Most can be delivered for 500-1000 bucks.

Wait till the end of the month before you buy, if this is at a major dealership.

I do want to sell for $3k.
    pm sent......

Don't use asking price as a basis for negotiation. It's irrelevant. There is "fair value" (what's its worth) and what your willing to pay. If you are not willing to walk, you will overpay. There are many theories and tactics for negotiation. Find out what works for you. I'm a dick. I tell them what they need to do to sell me a truck. If they break my rules, I walk. I negotiate an "out the door" price. I know used toyota's are a commodity but here's what I'd do.

1. find a mechanic you trust. figure out how to bring vehicles to him to check out.
    2. identify a handful of rigs that are good options
    3. set up appointments to drive rigs - all same day when mechanic is availible
    4. explain your process to the sellers i.e."I will be looking at x number of vehicles in one day, I will test drive and talk the best ones to my mechanic, I will close on the the best option at the end of the day.
    5. stick to your guns, don't fall in love with a truck

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    I buy and sell cars on the side.

Chances are if the truck lists for 7700, he probably bought it for 5000 or so. Maybe less.

Call him back and say that you found another truck that is cheaper, and you need his best price. Otherwise offer him 6k.

What exactly are you looking for? Lots of trucks for sale out there. Most can be delivered for 500-1000 bucks.

Wait till the end of the month before you buy, if this is at a major dealership.
    Good info, thanks.

I am looking for a Toyota Tacoma with the following
    - between 1999-2002
    - about 150k miles
    - v6
    - 4wd trd or sr5 (or the limited if that's to be had)
    - extended cab

Needs to be running perfect with no maint issues, including brakes. Bonus would be matching camper shell. $7k is my limit, so that would be $6500 with a $500 delivery fee. Sorry I don't have the haggling down. I feel like I'm in the right value range here.
    Henry David Thoreau

Thanks I will try.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Possibly. But the thing is, negotiating is usually,
    Here's the price.
    How about this?
    Nope, how about this?
    I can swing this...
    OK

That is usually the best circumstance. If you offer all you have, there is no room to negotiate. If the person won't sell it for 7000 then no truck. If the person would sell it for 7000 and you first offered 6500, you have room to move to your goal. Now 6500 is pushing it for 7700 but you get the idea. Even though you are WILLING and only able to spend 7000 doesn't mean they have to know that. Even taking the first 1000 off and offering 6700 would show you are willing to move up to 7000 and seem more accommodating.
    Henry David Thoreau

Ok, thanks. I love all tacos equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Don't use asking price as a basis for negotiation. It's irrelevant. There is "fair value" (what's its worth) and what your willing to pay. If you are not willing to walk, you will overpay. There are many theories and tactics for negotiation. Find out what works for you. I'm a dick. I tell them what they need to do to sell me a truck. If they break my rules, I walk. I negotiate an "out the door" price. I know used toyota's are a commodity but here's what I'd do.

1. find a mechanic you trust. figure out how to bring vehicles to him to check out.
    2. identify a handful of rigs that are good options
    3. set up appointments to drive rigs - all same day when mechanic is availible
    4. explain your process to the sellers i.e."I will be looking at x number of vehicles in one day, I will test drive and talk the best ones to my mechanic, I will close on the the best option at the end of the day.
    5. stick to your guns, don't fall in love with a truck
    Henry David Thoreau

Bet if you offered 7, you could take this:

http://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/3744334707.html

Damn, that's pretty much identical to my truck and I bought mine for 10k almost nine years ago. Crazy.

I've been staring at that one! It's just one year outside my window and the miles are a tad high, but pretty good. Love the camper shell. I think I sent him an email this morning.

edit - yeah I emailed him, offered $6800. Should have offered $6500 I guess.

ps - thanks for shopping for me.

Henry David Thoreau

Ok, thanks. I love all tacos equally.
    Insert pink taco joke here: ________