very reactive spring storm snow in the Cascades atm. Lots of 12-16" pockets let loose but broke apart quickly into fast-moving sluff on us today. Sending positive vibes to those involved, injured and missing in today's accidents as well as to their families and loved ones.

Great skiing at Alpental today, and very glad I was not in the backcountry.
    Just drove past some SAR vehicles. Let's hope for the best...

Sent from my ADR6300 using TGR Forums
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/3...202860091.html

A few burials on Granite and Red, one still missing on Red. All snowshoers. No mention if they were wearing beacons or not, but I would guess so based on the recoveries?

This seems to be the most recent update:
    http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...issingxml.html
    (The solo -- but for her dog -- female snowboarder who was extricated by the nearby snowshoers had been pronounced dead at the scene, despite initial reports to the contrary. A "very experienced hiker" is still "missing" but that sure sounds like a second fatality.)
    I would say I'm surprised by anyone out recreating in the backcountry given all the heavy loading we saw at Alpental yesterday (plus the deafening charges that greeted us in the parking lot), but it actually pales in comparison to the generalized incompetence and even utterly terrifying travel techniques we saw the prior day on St Helens.

Hugh Conway Guest
    You are surprised? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    You are surprised? Seriously?
    Yesterday's fatalities at Snoqualmie, no.
    Friday on St Helens ... the guy who went up higher above his woman who then dropped something down a gully and seemed incapable of reaching him, no. The party of four heading up for an overnight in stormy weather and elevated avy conditions the following morning, no. The father & son who spent about an hour and half walking up low-angle nordic trails with their Dynafit setups on their packs (skins affixed!), actually, yes. And the group of four hikers who were ascending solid ice with a collective one pair of crampons, two or three ski poles, and summer footwear, yes!!!

right?^^^^

rog

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    http://www.komonews.com/news/local/3...202860091.html

A few burials on Granite and Red, one still missing on Red. All snowshoers. No mention if they were wearing beacons or not, but I would guess so based on the recoveries?
    Jonathan's article said it took the large group 45 minutes to find the solo woman, so it appears there was either a surfeit of beacons or knowledge about their use...even though they were "experienced" snowshoers who go out once a week. Wonder how often they read what NWAC has to say?

Sad, but given this weeks storm cycle, totally unsurprising

^^^ see pg 21 of April's The Avalanche Review for interesting discussion about "sidecountry"...

hey I survived and now I'm core as ... eh?

coz I do way more stupid shit on a sled,
    did I do up my chin strap?
    prob not gunna matter falling in that cravase eh?
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

2 of the 3 missing died this weekend, very shitty, haven't even heard if they found the guy's body yet.

They finally recovered the last victims body.

http://www.valleyrecord.com/news/206...ml?mobile=true

He was a dentist. RIP