Ok, let's say you have 2 weeks to burn in July...

I wanna take an epic trip to places I normally wouldn't go, and a mt bike trip is just the kind of trip I normally wouldn't take.

I will be leaving from Reno and looking to camp mostly, and maybe take a shower once in a while. My goal will be to make it to whistler for a few days but I want to see some things and have an adventure or two on my way up.

I currently have a stab deluxe so I will be more interested in DH rides since it pedals like shit, but I may be able to get an XC bike so don't be afraid to share different ideas.

I don't know many mt bike spots but here are a few I want to hit:

-Auburn CA
    -Black Bock OR
    -Sierraville CA
    -Ashland OR

Where would you like to go?

Thanks!
    TMRF
    Last edited by RaccoonFace; 04-11-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

never actually been myself, but always wanted to check out ashland,or

might be on the way up to BC.

It's definitely on the way and added to the list.

Here, I'll help you out:
    RENO SUPERMOTO

I'll bet if you tried really hard you could guess
    If you make your way into the interior of BC check out Nelson and Rossland. These places got a lot of kickass downhill and they are only a couple hours apart. If you come that far you might as well come to Fernie. You can DH on the resort but the good shit is accessed via shuttle. Fernie also has tons of great xc trails.
    You don't need freerides when you got freeheels

Broken Record Time:

The Tetons.

if you find something pedalable...
    transrockies.

or just hang out in fernie for a week.

Oakridge OR and Greenwater/410 in WA are more good options on the way up north. Oakridge runs a shuttle, all the stuff off 410 in WA would be pedaling up (if you don't bring 2 cars or meet someone). The only machine-assisted runs in WA are at the new Stevens bike park, but if you're in the car anyways, you might as well just finish the drive up to Whistler at that point.

It'll be hotter than hell but Redding has some decent trails. There's a DH run on Shasta Bunny Flats all the way into town. Mckenzie river trail is more XC oriented but flat enough where you can pedal a DH bike. +1 on Oakridge. Bend.

If you don't mind a little detour, head to the coast and hit Arcata community forest. Cool jump features in there and will be a relief from the heat. You can hit Weaverville and Tish Tang on the way.

having ridden in most of the places mentioned, and considering you will probably only have a stab and no ability to shuttle...i would just drive straight to whizzler and ride there as much as possible. it will be more fun and more vert.

Looks like its time to get a map and start plotting.

DDJ: I thought about that, but that is something I would normally do because it is the rational thing to do.

I'm hoping to meet some random people and have a good time but who knows. I know black rock will be pushing the bike up since trails are closed to cars... If that is the case in more than one occasion so be it, but I hope it will give me a cool story somehow or at least some time to reflect.

Besides I'm fat so a little walking wouldn't hurt.😊

Thanks for all of the input!

Here, I'll help you out:
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Since you said you were going to camp most of the time I think you will want to pick one of these up so you don't have to go elsewhere to shower:
    Camp shower from REI
    Single best addition to the camp set-up I've experienced for camping/riding trips. Nothing like sitting around the campfire after riding and not being covered in grit. Add a pot of boiling water to it (or fill it and hang in the sun to let it warm during the day) and you have a hot shower at the camp site.

Make sure you get to Whistler. Lots of great riding outside the bike park, but hard to tear yourself away from the lifts. Spendy up there though for food & drink. Also, I would hit the North Shore on the way, especially Froome.

Sounds like a great trip! Have fun!

Checkout Bend for sure.

Most of our riding is best on an AM or XC bike but there are quite a few shuttle rides that would be fun on a DH bike (an outfit in town called Cog Wild runs shuttles). If you need a AM or XC rig, Pine Mountain affordably rents bikes (namely Trek and Santa Cruz).

By July the high country should be good to go but down low it might be a little dusty. A lot of people camp at the bottom of Phil's trail (it's all NF land) but there's no official campgrounds unless you were to camp up at Cascade Lakes, which isn't super close to the trails. There's of course lots of great water holes in town if you're into beer.

We're reasonably close to Oakridge and McKenzie and Umpqua River Trails as well.

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    come to OR with a pedal bike and your stab. hit up black rock, ashland (there is a sickie huge dh trail off the top of mt ashland that should be melted out by then), oakridge, bend, and portland (ride thrillium and raven's ridge).

Squamish has some amazing riding and is a pretty fun little town. It also happens to be right on the way to Whistler. I enjoyed Duthie in Washington, it wasn't too far off the highway if you're going that way. North Vancouver has tons of riding, not all of it is skinnies and ladders either. Black Rock should not be missed. I did a similar trip as you 2 years ago and had a great time.

I'm also going to second DirkaDirkaJacks suggestion of going straight to whistler though. I did that last year. Didn't leave for about 5 weeks. Rode the park almost every day except for a few xc/shuttle days at other locations here and there. In no way was I sick of riding there or the area, I did not want to go home at the end. Lots of cool random people to meet/ride with since there's always people in from out of town.

There's some pretty sweet riding out around Mendocino, look around for the Bachelor Gulch ride. It's pretty pedally on the uphill side of the loop, unless you've got a shuttle. Its oceanside cool, big redwoods, flowing creeks and rivers, etc. There's a lot out that way...

skip Bend, go straight to Oakridge, sick sick riding!

I've been wanting to ride Oakridge when I'm not in pain during a race too.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Not very pedal friendly but nobody has added it yet:

North Umpqua Trail

Since you are coming up from Reno, if you need a quick break from driving and happen to go through Klamath Falls...check out Moore Park.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

In pretty sure there is more than 2 weeks of riding here, but I'll put a map together this weekend and see what is where.

You all rule! Thank you so much!

Here, I'll help you out:
    RENO SUPERMOTO

Send me a message when you get to Whistler!

I'd be stoked to show another mag arouind

I am driving from Tahoe up to Whistler again this year and this is where i am stopping,
    i have a TR 250 that doesnt pedal uphill for shit

Shasta - prolly too late in July, but you can ski from 14,000 to 8,000ft then ride your bike from that lot down to 3,000ft all in a long day. then a short drive to Ashland

Ashland - havent ridden there in a few years, but heard the trails have some pretty big features on them now

Bend - just because i am skiing Bachelor for a week or two, havent ridden Phils in a long time but remember it not being best for a big travel bike. you could skip that and spend a long time in

Black Rock - no explanation needed

Hood River - again, i might ski. Not sure if Post Canyon is still in bad shape, but when I rode there a few years ago it blew my mind. Huge moto jumps are some of the most fun hits ever. Besides PC the riding I havent done is supposed to be stellar too

Duthie Hill - Super fun riding, easy day trip

Bellingham - Only ridden Galbraith and its pretty fun.

North Shore/Squamish/Whistler - if u make it to canada

I live in my truck the whole time and I usually "shower" in lakes and rivers, which are abundant in pretty much all of these places. Im usually travelling alone as well, and of the places where shuttling is an option, Ive had relatively good luck meeting people to ride with. Lots of pushing though; BlackRock, Galbraith, Duthie

Id skip Auburn and Downieville, theyre close enough to Reno to hit anytime

my $.05