26" vs. 650b - the verdict is in

Worth a watch:

The video's conclusion aside, I find the tester's riding looks to be more fluid with the 26" wheels.

ok then, watch CG riding a 29er

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/membe.../iceman2058,94

all about the rider. find the right gear for you.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I have not seen anyone address durability between 26" 650c and 29"

They are not the same correct. Is the bigger wheel more likely to go untrue? Bend? Just fold up?

I do not know but to me it seems the lighter but smaller 26" will stand up to more abuse than 650 or 29 and maybe easier to maintain
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

There are SO many variables that go into choosing the right wheel size: bike setup, terrain, riding style, rider size, intended use (XC, A-M, etc); and the list goes on. It all depends on what you're looking for in a bike. I've had both 650B wheels and 26" wheels (granted, different wheelsets and tires) on my Blur LT in the last two weeks, and I thought I'd prefer the 650Bs for more of an all-around setup. However, after riding the new 26" wheelset last weekend for several hours I found the bike was more fun and fluid with the 26" wheels, and the climbing "benefits" of the 650B wheels may have just been a preconceived expectation and not reality.

That being said, if I suddenly win the lottery I'll probably buy the new SC Bronson because it looks like a kick-ass bike... but for now, I'm happy with my pimped-out Blur LT. And a 29er for when I want to do more XC-type riding.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post

holy crap

Did that movie make a conclusion? The complete lack of seriousness would seem to indicate that those guys are just as tired of talking about wheel size as we are of hearing about it.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    Did that movie make a conclusion? The complete lack of seriousness would seem to indicate that those guys are just as tired of talking about wheel size as we are of hearing about it.
    That was the point.

Close to being funny. But not quite there. Nice try, Bike.

As far as wheels go, we're all sick of it I think. Bikes are bikes. After one full season on my SB-95 though, I have one observation that I think sticks:
    I like riding my DH bike, a lot.
    Riding my SB-95 reminds me of riding my DH bike, but everywhere, and being comfortable uphill too. So I like riding my SB-95 too. And yeah, I think I'm a little faster on big wheels than 26.
    It's all just riding bikes though, and it's all fun.
    The end.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

my offer always stands. Whenever you are in doubt of a 29er's durability or you need a warranty replacement, let me swing a leg and give'r a go.

I would like to ride a 650b, but until my wallet fills back up with money, it'll be a 26er for me with a big fat smile on my face.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

I can't wait for the NEXT 'revolution' to argue over.
    I just really, really hope it involves lightweight, zero drag internally geared, enclosed, shaft drive train.

That'll get people on the hate train. For no reason at all.

28.25" is the new black
    watch out for snakes

All of these damn options, improvements, and forward thinking!

It is simply RUINING THE SPORT!

26 looks the coolest. 27.5 slightly less cool looking, 29er slightly less cool looking yet.

That is why 26 will never go away. That is how a lot of people shop- for things that look cool, then things that ARE cool.

I like any bike that encourages me to ride like a complete jackass, which is more about geometry I suppose.

Im holding out for a DH penny farthing. ITS ABOUT ATTACK ANGLE BRO.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbendedknee View Post
    26 looks the coolest. 27.5 slightly less cool looking, 29er slightly less cool looking yet.

That is why 26 will never go away. That is how a lot of people shop- for things that look cool, then things that ARE cool.

I like any bike that encourages me to ride like a complete jackass, which is more about geometry I suppose.

Exactly. No need for front suspension with a 62er up front. With only a 12er in the back you could run like 40" of travel. So fucking ill.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    All of these damn options, improvements, and forward thinking!

It is simply RUINING THE SPORT!
    Well it's certainly keeping bike companies afloat in a flat market, getting people to buy bikes they don't need.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Nobody needed an RS-1, I'll grant you that!

Quote Originally Posted by juanbendedknee View Post

Agreed, but my opinion is swaying. I think 26er's are starting to look ridiculous unless really slack fat rubbered DH bikes. Short travel XC bikes just look small and long travel "all mountain" bikes look hilarious to me like little wheels on stilts.

Plus, around these parts of the mountains riders are on 29's like Bandits, Shinobis, Satoris and Stumpjumpers with big rubber on them and I think they look bad ass. I don't know what 29's are being pedalled around the sea wall.

But you are correct: what's cool will sell. Bigger wheels do work...maybe making them a little smaller than 29 might make it look cooler? Heeyyyyyy....