Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Front Range Trail Conditions

Lair of the Bear is super fun too. Better than the other Evergreen stuff imo. Not sure how it pans out on the weekend (and yeah, Apex on the weekend - fuck that noise), but I usually ride it in the afternoon after work and time my descent around sunset and never really have issues with other people.

Dakota Ridge early in the morning is great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Lair of the Bear is super fun too. Better than the other Evergreen stuff imo. Not sure how it pans out on the weekend (and yeah, Apex on the weekend - fuck that noise), but I usually ride it in the afternoon after work and time my descent around sunset and never really have issues with other people.

Dakota Ridge early in the morning is great too.
    Being an out and back trail, Lair is super congested on a weekend.
    I don't like it as much as the Evergreen stuff but that's a matter of preference. It's for sure a fun ride.

everything is congested on weekends the past few years.
    I like Bergen, 3S and Lair in that order, especially if I can get out on a weekday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    everything is congested on weekends the past few years.
    I like Bergen, 3S and Lair in that order, especially if I can get out on a weekday morning.
    Agreed. There are only 3-4 trail systems on the whole Front Range that I'll even think of riding on the weekends anymore... for sanity's sake.

As long as you go late in the afternoon it's not bad but maybe I'm numb to the crowds at this point... I rode walker this past saturday starting at 4 and only passed 4 bikers maybe 4 groups of hiker and one dude coming down crescent meadows on a motorcycle!!!
    Last edited by rudy; 06-11-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Front Range Trail Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Being an out and back trail, Lair is super congested on a weekend.
    I don't like it as much as the Evergreen stuff but that's a matter of preference. It's for sure a fun ride.
    Its not congested when you’re descending at sunset. I rarely have ever ran into someone coming up.

Well, yeah, duh, that's the case with every trail.

And yes, duh, every trail in the Front Range is congested on weekends.

My point is, some trail systems do a better job of dispersing the hordes than others. A trail system where traffic is primarily traveling in one direction and the main descending trails are far away from the parking lot (White Ranch) is going to feel a whole lot less crowded than a trail system that forces everybody onto the same out-and-back trail (Lair). Some trail systems are more popular with foot traffic than others. Any trail is going to be less crowded at sunset and more crowded in the middle of the day. Lair is out-and-back, and very popular for foot traffic.

I would always ride any trail system later in the day if possible, but on weekends I would also almost always choose White Ranch or Bergen over Lair because the very layout of the trail systems there tend to disperse people better.

It's way past time to have more designated use, designated directional trails in the Front Range to ease this problem, but that's another whole discussion.

Sounds like front range trails get treated like I70 traffic. Avoid by going odd hours. Maybe another lane is needed on the trails? Oh wait, that has already happened.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Sounds like front range trails get treated like I70 traffic. Avoid by going odd hours. Maybe another lane is needed on the trails? Oh wait, that has already happened.
    Maybe we need a gondola connecting all the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Directional trails with monorail shuttles. It is the only way.

I want an elite rider toll lane.

I enjoy hiking Apex around noon and watching the Yeti Cycles crew fly by on their “lunch” ride. They rip.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I enjoy hiking Apex around noon and watching the Yeti Cycles crew fly by on their “lunch” ride. They rip.
    how bad do you think it burns when they pee after their lunch ride

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Directional trails with monorail shuttles. It is zee only vay.
    FIFY
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

And yes, duh, every trail in the Front Range is congested on weekends.

It's way past time to have more designated use, designated directional trails in the Front Range to ease this problem, but that's another whole discussion.
    So much yes to all of this.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Thanks again for the suggestions adrenalated, I ran out of time today, so didn't make it to 3 sisters and did Bear Creek after Elk park. Major flight delays, so ends up I would have had time.

Fun 3 days of riding.
    Last edited by 406; 06-18-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Any dry trails in the Front Range/Summit/Eagle after the snow?

Pretty much everything.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Pretty much everything.
    !!

!!
    Certainly anything solar is fine. I rode Dakota Ridge yesterday and other than some moistness in shady spots, it was good.

I wouldn't say everything in Summit/Eagle. There is plenty of snow up high and even low on north face shade aspects, but def some stuff rideable. I rode all the trails on Frisco peninsula today and it was pretty fun. Just some damp/snow in the trees, but no big deal.

Getting out early makes for really fun crust busting riding right now.

Rode 401 yesterday in the Butte, there was snow on the single track climbing section, but the DH was clear.

I rode Betasso today, everything was coming up Millhouse there.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Has there been an increase in rattlesnakes lately? I didn't see many at the beginning of the year and have consistently seen one for my last 4 rides. I saw three at marshal mesa/dowdy yesterday and one was massive and rattling super loudly. Iv'e been walking my dogs for years and never once worried about it but the second I started biking they're everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Has there been an increase in rattlesnakes lately? I didn't see many at the beginning of the year and have consistently seen one for my last 4 rides. I saw three at marshal mesa/dowdy yesterday and one was massive and rattling super loudly. Iv'e been walking my dogs for years and never once worried about it but the second I started biking they're everywhere.
    Maybe?
    I’ve seen them recently on the Fowler Trail en route to Eldorado Canyon (as well as a bear!) and one big one in the meadow in upper White Ranch. Before that, had only seen one in 15 years of hiking and riding.