TR: Meadow Skipping Sunday in Tahoe

Skiers: Schralph Macchio, Maple Leaf Gilles, UCL

Date: Sunday, March 21st

Photos: Maple Leaf Gilles (edited by UCL in Lightroom)

Synopsis: SM, MLG and I headed out Sunday to a higher elevation zone around Tahoe to try and take advantage of a couple of inches of fresh snow that fell Saturday night. Below 8,500 ft, the approach conditions are getting rough and involve quite a lot of patch to patch skinning and indirect routes. Up above 8,500 ft however, there is still good enough coverage for some good turns. We got a good day of meadow skipping in.

SM and UCL skinning up to our destination zone. Neither SM nor I brought our cameras and fortunately found out MLG had another buddies old point and shoot in his pack from a past trip. MLG was nice enough to snap pics all day and we never even got any of him! Bad form on us!

Sunday ended up being great to be honest. After skiing at the resort on Saturday with very high temps and mush everywhere, I didn’t have really any expectations for Sunday other than getting in a workout with some buddies. When I woke up at 6 AM it was pouring rain at my house at 6,200 ft. During the day the weather was shifting pretty dramatically with periods of light snow, blowing crazy winds, calm winds, sucker holes of blue sky, etc..

A nice moment of good weather.

SM punching it up through the trees. It was pretty warm during the first lap, but the winds picked up and later in the day.

Working our way up.

We encountered several inches of untracked snow on a nice supportable base in the zones we skied. We stuck to lower angle stuff mostly as when we got up to a bench the winds started hammering and neither MLG nor I wanted to deal with the winds up top (or the couple of inches just sliding off the smooth crust underneath).

SM is killing it given he is only starting to transition from split boarding to skiing – fortunately his transitions are much faster these days….

Honestly I have a great time meadow-skipping – untracked fast snow with a good base is super fun for skiing like this. SM checking out one set of turns, and proceeding further down.

There are a couple of gullies in the area that we ducked into given the stability we encountered. UCL throwing a turn up on a wall.

As we worked down, no doubt about it, the snow was getting heavier. Fortunately the base was still supportable under the skis (boot pen was another issue, though). SM working through the heavier stuff.

There are definitely steeper lines around the area. By that time the winds were kicking pretty hard up there and neither MLG nor I wanted to go and deal with it. I was also concerned the little amount of snow would just sluff off the crust base really easily. I think some other guys (Gimpy etc…) skied some of the zones higher and found really good conditions, though. Regardless, I had a great time just sticking to the lower angle stuff.

During a transition on another lap, messing around with some Mercury bouldering….

Good turns along the rock walls in the wind drifts.

We had moved over to a slightly different aspect and found some colder snow (although it did get heavier as we lost elevation). We were all having a great time, though.

Schralph Macchio:

UCL:

SM showing there is still snow good to be had in Tahoe:

Later in the day through the Central Valley, MLG got this great shot of pretty massive Thunderheads heading towards the Western Slope of the Sierra.

A great day out!

Nice! I should have given you a call. I ended up navel gazing all a.m. before doing a dorky nearby tour in the afternoon, where we got about half as much snow.

tail gun much?
    no wonder you hated the east coast.

crab in my shoe mouth

In schralph's defense, UCL may tailgun even more.

Nice TR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

buttah, you bet! I tailgun even worse on a splitboard!!!

Those lines we were skiing out at Carson Pass, back east they are called "--"
    Oh wait, there isn't a name because open powder runs outside of a resort clearcut don't exist back east

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Looking good, I need to get down there and do some exploring. The terrain potential looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post

There are definitely steeper lines around the area. By that time the winds were kicking pretty hard up there and neither MLG nor I wanted to go and deal with it. I was also concerned the little amount of snow would just sluff off the crust base really easily. I think some other guys (Gimpy etc…) skied some of the zones higher and found really good conditions, though. Regardless, I had a great time just sticking to the lower angle stuff.

but but but that IS the lower angle stuff
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

well-played^^^^^^^, great shots guys, looks like a fun day to be out there.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Nice. Schralph's skiing is improving.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

nice TR, luv me sum MS
    watch out for snakes