How Not To Build A Shed: An Illustrated Guide

Caught a link to this from another forum. Had me literally in tears. Basic story is some guy's landlord started building a shed on the property. Staggering displays of incompetence ensued. The tenant decided he had to bring it to world's attention. I immediately knew I had to bring it to the maggots attention.

The thread is LONG but is TOTALLY worth the read.

Quote Originally Posted by DNAspark99
    I bring you this for your viewing pleasure. Constructikons and do-it-your-selfers may get an extra special kick out of this one.

So, my landlord has taken it upon himself to build a 'toolshed'. For a roto-tiller. At least, that's the entirety of what he told us - there is, however, some inherent communication issues. (He's Korean, and not yet well versed in english (though certainly much better than my Korean)). There's one door so far, and a lawnmower will not even fit through it. (I don't think he knows that yet though)

So, this is the 'project' thus far. For one, the ground it's being built is mushy moist marshland - your feet sink with every step. Which is always ideal for a good foundation - or complete lack thereof.

It may not be immediately obvious, but I don't think this man has a background in construction.
    It appears he owns a hammer and saw, perhaps a measuring tape, perhaps not. Certainly nothing like a square, straightedge, or level.
    I guestimate that he has seen no more than 3 episodes of various home improvement shows, and maybe at best he's driven by a construction site atleast once in his life. After all, "how hard could it be?"

Indeed.
    Now, I'm fairly certain this violates several bylaws. But I have no intention of stopping this beautiful process. I want to see this abortion come to term, and will keep this thread updated as this eyesore... evolves.
    Linky: http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...n-t-even.....?

Some highlights (lowlights?):

Doesn't look too too bad from a distance...

Up close some issues become a bit more clear

advanced toe-nailing techniques

this one absolutely slayed me

way better than those lousy prefab sheds from home depot

There are even time lapse videos of the master carpenter (and helper) at work.

Thanks for this one Canada, we owe you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

How Not To Use The Search Function.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman829 View Post
    Caught a link to this from another forum. Had me literally in tears. Basic story is some guy's landlord started building a shed on the property. Staggering displays of incompetence ensued. The tenant decided he had to bring it to world's attention. I immediately knew I had to bring it to the maggots attention.

The thread is LONG but is TOTALLY worth the read.

Linky: http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...n-t-even.....?

Some highlights (lowlights?):

Doesn't look too too bad from a distance...

Up close some issues become a bit more clear

advanced toe-nailing techniques

this one absolutely slayed me

way better than those lousy prefab sheds from home depot

There are even time lapse videos of the master carpenter (and helper) at work.

Thanks for this one Canada, we owe you.
    they are going to have to create a hall of fame forum on that site. That is some of the funniest shit ive seen in awhile.

Someone would live in that shit in Haines

Dude spent a bunch of cash on wood.

I can't wait till it rains. Poor guy probably lived in something similar wherever he came from.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    How Not To Use The Search Function.
    Apologies. Looked quickly and didn't see it. Figured it was worth the risk of a repost anyhow.
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Dude spent a bunch of cash on wood.
    That was the best part to me. It'd be one thing if it was built with scrap. But to go and buy all that fresh material just to do that with it...

Wholly shit! Does it snow there? 2x's on the flat for the rafters ...amongst everything else. That thing is going down in a heavy wind or snow.

Despite its obvious deficiencies, that's a pretty damn good structure in some parts of this country and better than most in some parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Someone would live in that shit in Haines
    Not just Haines, down here in AZ too. That shed is better than what some people call home on the Navajo Rez.

I actually have lived in less than that in AK. Tent Cities. I've seen double-story units more dodgy than that frame survive winters with snow. (But those were inhabited by mountaineers working for fish. Snow caves suffice for Saturday excursions.)

This builder is straight up high.