Newport City, VT...what the what??

Anybody have the skinny on what happens/what's good in this teeming metropolis of the green mountains? I hear some molehill is about 30 min away and could be good on the occasional pow day.

Would appreciate any input/experiences/feedback.

No stories involving man-thongs and bubbles though, okay?

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

The lake is Beautiful.

it's the NEK.
    nice place to visit, but...
    this guy may make a difference.
    http://vtdigger.org/2012/09/28/jay-p...r-500-million/
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    it's the NEK.
    nice place to visit, but...
    this guy may make a difference.
    http://vtdigger.org/2012/09/28/jay-p...r-500-million/
    Yeah! I heard about that...and green cards given out for $$ investments? Whoa!

Montreal is only 1.5 hr away. Is that fun?
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    Yeah! I heard about that...and green cards given out for $$ investments? Whoa!

Montreal is only 1.5 hr away. Is that fun?
    Montreal....poutine and good strip clubs
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Newport's always been kinda ghetto, and that was when the factories were open. That link sounds good though, holy crap they have some plans, I guess we'll see what happens. This is news from that article though..."State Sen. Vince Illuzzi, R/D-Essex-Orleans, said "...the world economy has all but collapsed.”".

Well fuckit then.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Montreal....poutine and good strip clubs
    Ah yes, it was there in Montreal as a young 20-something I watched in amazement as ping-pong Annie made ball after ball sail into half full beer mugs.....she was the strip club equivalent of Larry Bird at the foul line.

With everything going on with Jay and Burke, I'm debating making a purchase up there. It's a weird area though. Thinking that I'd like Burke better in the summer but obviously jay in the winter.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Thanks for the input. I guess seeing is believing. We are due for a reconnaissance mission very soon. Seems like an intriguing possibility.

I'm prepared for the fact that any place in VT will come part and parcel with a little "weirdness." It is, perhaps, for that very reason that I can see it being a good nesting region for me. Remember, sling-shotting a couple of trees and boulders while enjoying some nice cold brewskis is a dream-date here.

Sprite

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Ah yes, it was there in Montreal as a young 20-something I watched in amazement as ping-pong Annie made ball after ball sail into half full beer mugs.....she was the strip club equivalent of Larry Bird at the foul line.
    Really? Damn, I went to the wrong club.

Looking at the map, looks like a prime smuggling port.

Foothills of the VT mountain where it never snows
    Hey Sprite, are you thinking of teaching at the high school there? Woodcorps taught there many moons ago, it's what first brought him to Vermont.

We built our new house up near Jay, we're about 40 minutes from Newport, and many of our friends live in the area. They've done a lot of revitalization in Newport, it has a very nice main street now, with shops, art galleries and restaurants, including a great health food store/cafe. Lake Memphremagog is beautiful, plus there are dozens of other lakes, ponds and rivers in the area, so there are tons of opportunities for paddling/boating/sailing. Of course, besides resort and backcountry skiing, there's mountain biking, including Kingdom Trails/Burke, hiking on The Long Trail (and other trails too), and you'll appreciate that road cycling is BIG in this area. Jay Peak has added a lot of activities year round, and they book name bands now that they have the conference center. In fact, you'd probably be surprised by all the venues for music of all kinds. As you've read, there are big plans for the region's future. Honestly, I think you'd love it. The entire area is gorgeous.

When you start missing the "big city" vibe, Montreal is awesome. Since you'd be so close to the Canadian border, you'll probably explore all the outdoor activities and tourist destinations in Canada as well (vineyards in Eastern Townships, provincial parks and villages along the St. Lawrence, the "Old World" charm of Quebec City, etc.).

If you want, you can PM me when you plan to be in the area, and if we're around, we can hook up and give you a tour.
    Raise 'em Jay. And remember: Safety Third!

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Where do you live now. I seem to recall you post up threads from time to time about how its awful and bad for your psyche.

That being the case I would think long and hard about Newport VT. If you want rural backwoods the NEK is awesome, but trying to shoehorn yourself into a town type joint up there is going to let you down, and hard.

If you do want a town Id be looking more at Lyndonville over Newport. Right next to Burke, the college is there, nicer, etc.
    Live Free or Die

If Bill Stenger's plans come to fruition, in 3 years, Newport will be a very different place from what it is now.
    Jay Peak is vastly different from what it was five years ago.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Of course there are some colorful locals:
    http://www.wcax.com/story/19180748/m...olice-cruisers
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Shit, in Colorado, they just ring the doorbell and start shooting.

Foothills of the VT mountain where it never snows
    Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Of course there are some colorful locals:
    http://www.wcax.com/story/19180748/m...olice-cruisers
    I thought he was trying to convince the local fairground to host a Monster Truck Jam!
    Raise 'em Jay. And remember: Safety Third!

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Hey SST!!! So nice to hear from you

Will PM you w/ specifics when we will be there. Absolutely must get together, it's been too long. Thanks for the feedback, really helps. And everyone else too!

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Where do you live now. I seem to recall you post up threads from time to time about how its awful and bad for your psyche.

That being the case I would think long and hard about Newport VT. If you want rural backwoods the NEK is awesome, but trying to shoehorn yourself into a town type joint up there is going to let you down, and hard.

If you do want a town Id be looking more at Lyndonville over Newport. Right next to Burke, the college is there, nicer, etc.
    thx for feedback...will check those out too! Where I am, it's bumper to bumper a-holes peppered with some amazingly nice people. But there are no lakes, no mountains, and a lot off stress. Looking to get away from that. Probably a City in vermont would feel like a lonesome prairie to me at this point, lol! But yes, your point is well taken.

Sprite