Fishing sunglasses - Colorado

I am in the market for a new pair of sunglasses, and since I have only ever fished in one good pair, I thought I would ask the collective for their thoughts.

A couple years ago I purchased a pair of Smith Touchstones with their Polarchromic Copper Mirror lense from L8. Thank you again I really like them. Anyhow, took my truck to get services, and they threw some two license plate screws into the cubby with them and I did not notice. Drove around for a while, it got sunny and low and behold they have some pretty nice scratches in them. Now, they are still usuable, but a couple of the scratches look an aweful lot like a bug in the air. They were very nice and are writting me a check for the replacement cost.

I always like the Poarchromic Copper Mirror lense, but did sometimes find them a little dark in the evenings or in the shadow of the canyon. I also found that they did not take the "mirror" from the glare off the surface of the water very well. Maybe this is a lot to expect? Lastly, andmaybe this is my lack of skill, but I sometimes seem to miss seeing fish or their mouths when I wear them. Lastly, they give me a bit of a headache sometimes due to how they sit and fog up. So I am thinking maybe the Smith Chief instead?

I still want something that wraps around nicely and is a larger lense...the fogging I can live with if I have to.

What is everyone else had success with in the $200 range? Smith Polarchromic Amber? Ignitor? Other brands?

I am keeping the ones I have, but am looking for an everday Colorado blue sky glasses. Something better in the morning and evenings when the sun is not directly overhead is the improvement I am after.

Thanks
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I have a pair of Electric tech xl's with polarized amber lenses that I really like. Large lenses to really protect eyes and thinner arms so that they don't put a lot of pressure on your head. They have done well for me early morning/late afternoon in Cheesman canyon even when the light is low.

I rock Smith Copper and Ignitor for fishing and am really happy with both. Can see midge/baetis on flat days and bonefish on the flats. Their perscription service is top notch as well.

Have you tried to Costa Del Mar Copper lens or the Green Mirror (which is the Copper lens with mirroring) in the 580 glass? Wondering how it compares to my Smith Coppers?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Yes I have, a good fishing buddy works for tham and forces them on me in his boat. I've tried all of the fancy Costas and don't notice a lick of difference. They're cool if you want broham white and clear frames, but I think Smith's are the better value and better folks to support. I've had some Oakleys too that I wanted to like but they always scratched out to quickly and easily. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Have you tried to Costa Del Mar Copper lens or the Green Mirror (which is the Copper lens with mirroring) in the 580 glass? Wondering how it compares to my Smith Coppers?
    Save some cash and get the 580P poly lenses- I have those in copper/gunmetal frame prescription. Love them. The Poly doesn't scratch nearly as easily as the 580 glass. You can not really get a good green mirror on the 580P though. The Copper is the way to go. Smith isn't popular here at all. Costa, Ocean Waves, and lately a lot of Keanon are the most popular here. Totally different type of fishing though. I can be in 2 feet of water or 40 feet in the same day. These glasses are nice for both.

That is a pretty interesting comment...I always thought one of the benefits of glass vs poly was that the glass was harder to scratch...that in easier to clean and better clarity.

I've got the Polarchromic Ignitor, Copper, and Amber Smiths'.

For fishing, I almost exclusively use the Ignitor, amazing for earlier/later in the day or slightly overcast. They can be a little bright in the middle of a bright day, but also doable. I don't know how to exactly convey the effect, but the Ignitor lense is just magic in the fine focus details.

The Copper is great for the bright days, but as you stated, gets a little too dark when the light is less in the fine details needed fly fishing. This is my everyday use lense for driving, biking, hiking, skiing, & etc.

The Amber lense is a odd duck for me, I rarely use them.

As for mirror lenses, I've experienced a noticeable decrease in scratch resistance in the past with premium mirror sunglasses, because the mirror was actually a spray on coating that was less durable. Not stating that Smith's mirror glass is a spray on (not used), but I know their poly is, and I've experienced easily about half the useful life.

I always say the most important piece of fishing equipment to own is the best polarized sunglasses you can afford.... Lately I've been buying glasses with interchangeable lens for changing conditions, picked-up a pair of Natives last week on SAC.. With that said the best glasses by far that I've worn have been Maui Jim's...
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

That is a pretty interesting comment...I always thought one of the benefits of glass vs poly was that the glass was harder to scratch...that in easier to clean and better clarity.
    The 580p is their most scratch resistant. I have dropped them on the ground several times, no scratches. My 580 glass lenses have a nice scratch right in the line of sight from falling off my head once, right onto the driveway.

Thanks for the info Mountaingoat, and everyone else obviously.

Since I have the Copper Smiths, I am seriously thinking about the Ignitor. My eyes are not overly sensitive to light, especially since I wear a hat and buff when I fish. My perfect lense would provide the most contrast for spotting fish, cut the glare, but also be bright enough for in the shadows of the canyons and trees.

I picked up a pair of smiths with the ignitor lenses last fall. Damn nice for not being top dollar.

Figure out which new Smith you like, send them back. They have a lifetime warranty. Usually ask if your particular style is not available, which one would you prefer.

Ken
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Been loving my Revo Guides. Took 'em lake fishing last weekend and was able to see small bottom details in anywhere from 1-4 feet of kinda murky lake water. I kept telling my kids when a fish would be near their lure and they were all "Where??? I can't see them." Took my glasses off and yep, couldn't see shit.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

I always push the Maui Jims.

i have had issues with frames breaking in the pasty, but the past year I have been wearing these,

Skiing MTB, on the water, everyday general outside use.

I really like these they look kinda dorky but they are tough! And you can pretty much stare into the sun with them.

Spendy!! at 200$

Glass lens, made in Italy

http://www.mauijim.com/waterways.html
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I have 580 glass Costas with green mirror and wear them for pretty much anything inshore or stream fishing. The clarity is ridiculous, so much so that I have turned all of my buddies onto them.

I have blue mirror for out in the boat offshore days.

Worth every penny I paid for Costas.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    I have 580 glass Costas with green mirror and wear them for pretty much anything inshore or stream fishing. The clarity is ridiculous, so much so that I have turned all of my buddies onto them.

I have blue mirror for out in the boat offshore days.

Worth every penny I paid for Costas.
    Yeah, scratch (pun intended) what I said about the poly lenses before. They are tough to scratch, but they have developed this horrible foggy bubbling.
    Sunglass place told me it was normal. WTF? I bought these in Feb. 2012 they are a couple months off warranty. Not very happy since these were script.
    I am going to contact Costa and see what they might do for me. If they make me a deal, I'll pay a little extra for Glass this time.

Edit- Warranty is 2 years on lenses for Rx, so it is covered. I guess I will just have to keep a closer eye on them and keep warrantying them.
    Last edited by warthog; 04-22-2013 at 10:00 AM.

I am trying to move some Maui Jim's. the kahuna polarized copper lens....
    "Dad, I can huck that"

I've been wearing spy dirk polarized grey lens for 2 years. I bought a second pair I liked them so much when I lost my first pair at the bar.

Not top dollar - but I feel they are top quality lenses...

Large frame size - with great vertical and horizontal coverage. Pretty durable - but I baby my stuff. I wear them on overcast days - no problem, they are not too dark for dusk driving or flat light days - and are perfect on bluebird too.
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

Maui Jim island time or hamoa beach.

Love my pair of Costa Double Hauls in green mirror 580. I think mine are rose, but a great fishing pair of shades nonetheless.

I must say that the springy hinges are amazing when wearing all day long. Expensive, but that what pro form is for.