Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    The hunger was actually very easy to deal with. One thing I was reminded of is that hunger comes in waves and if you tell yourself you aren't eating for a while and don't start thinking about what to eat, it goes away.

Can't wait for breakfast though
    How did sleeping go? Yesterday I had only a light dinner of ~6 oz of sirloin, a couple cups of steamed broccoli and a couple strawberries. I was fine during the day which was unsurprising, but I've never gone to bed having eaten that little and my sleep definitely got a little disrupted from 2-3am-ish. We'll see how squatting goes this afternoon.

I have been doing some form of IF for about 3 years now. If anything, it teaches you to only eat when you are hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    How did sleeping go? Yesterday I had only a light dinner of ~6 oz of sirloin, a couple cups of steamed broccoli and a couple strawberries. I was fine during the day which was unsurprising, but I've never gone to bed having eaten that little and my sleep definitely got a little disrupted from 2-3am-ish. We'll see how squatting goes this afternoon.
    Day three of fasting today. Trying it while I'm on the road today. Sleep has been fine. Weird thing has been when I wake up I feel totally rested and not hungry. I'm a big coffee drinker and I almost feel like I don't need a cup.

Had a really long hard workout Wed, after fasting Tues and I felt strong and fast. I'm probably carrying more fat than you Dan. I'm at about 16% right now, shooting for 8-9. Meal on fast days have been a huge pitcher of blended spinach, kale, carrots, beets, a couple walnuts and half a scoop of protein. It might be in my head but it seems like eating such nutritious food makes it easier.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

my sleep definitely got a little disrupted from 2-3am-ish.
    I have the same issue. I'll wake up every few hours hungry. It must be when I'm entering a deep sleep and my body is going into repair mode but has nothing to repair with? I typically eat cottage cheese before bed, to give my body some protein to work with while sleeping.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    You're experiencing a bimodal or segmented sleep pattern. It's probably not hunger waking you up.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Watched both of his videos...

Really interesting stuff...

I've been doing the 16-hour fast thing about since i started this thread: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=fasting

So closing in on 3 months I guess. Nothing dramatic but I've lost maybe 6-7 pounds and damn does food taste good.

Day three of fasting today. Trying it while I'm on the road today. Sleep has been fine. Weird thing has been when I wake up I feel totally rested and not hungry. I'm a big coffee drinker and I almost feel like I don't need a cup.

Had a really long hard workout Wed, after fasting Tues and I felt strong and fast. I'm probably carrying more fat than you Dan. I'm at about 16% right now, shooting for 8-9. Meal on fast days have been a huge pitcher of blended spinach, kale, carrots, beets, a couple walnuts and half a scoop of protein. It might be in my head but it seems like eating such nutritious food makes it easier.

I ended up feeling surprisingly strong on my squats Monday. Fasted again yesterday with a "lunch" of maybe 100 cals worth of vegetables (homemade sauerkraut, kale and cucumbers) then a ~400 cal egg/potato/ham scramble for a light dinner. I actually slept quite well last night and never woke up hungry. I definitely don't have any fat/weight to lose (probably 8-10% BF), but the benefits of this seem to extend beyond weight loss and that's what I'm after. The question is how it will impact my training and recreating. I'm going to try giving it a month and evaluate from there.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    You're experiencing a bimodal or segmented sleep pattern. It's probably not hunger waking you up.
    Not sure if you are responding to me or Tuckerman, but I can assure you it was hunger waking me up sunday night.

So being a 54 year old fat gut (30lbs overweight) that sits on their ass, working at a computer all day long, I thought I would give the 2 day a week fast program a try.
    I did a Tuesday and Thursday fast this week. By 3pm both days, I was sleepy and really wanted a nap and was out by 9pm. I always wake up 4-5 times a night, but went back to sleep better than normal (no booze in me???) Also, I was actually a little cool/cold at night during the pups evening walk (as opposed to warm from a bunch of calories in me) and I did notice my energy level during the day was pretty weak, compared to being fed all day. I don't wake up hungry, but last night I sure went to bed hungry, as my meal was at noon. Felt like my stomach was just churning acid. I am going to buy some Tums today to see if those help when I get that feeling again. I am going to try this for a month and see where it leads me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    So being a 54 year old fat gut (30lbs overweight) that sits on their ass, working at a computer all day long, I thought I would give the 2 day a week fast program a try.
    I did a Tuesday and Thursday fast this week. By 3pm both days, I was sleepy and really wanted a nap and was out by 9pm. I always wake up 4-5 times a night, but went back to sleep better than normal (no booze in me???) Also, I was actually a little cool/cold at night during the pups evening walk (as opposed to warm from a bunch of calories in me) and I did notice my energy level during the day was pretty weak, compared to being fed all day. I don't wake up hungry, but last night I sure went to bed hungry, as my meal was at noon. Felt like my stomach was just churning acid. I am going to buy some Tums today to see if those help when I get that feeling again. I am going to try this for a month and see where it leads me.
    You can make it easier on yourself by easing into it. Eat pretty low carb for a few weeks, then do the feed window (eat a normal amount calories for a day, but all in a 4-8 hour window) a couple days/week for a few weeks, then go with the full fast days.

So, why bother with a 5:2 over a 16/8 plan?

I didn't realize it was anything besides skipping breakfast, but there have been times (like when I stopped eating eggs) that I was doing 16/8, and found it quite easy. It also works well with my schedule, since I typically work out at lunch time, then eat lunch after. Is there any benefit to a 5:2 over 16/8 5-6 days a week?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Hmm, I'm 28 so ymmv. What are you eating on your fast days? The hunger actually makes me really energetic. I eat a big blender full of spinach carrots and other veggies during my fast day, I also drink a lot of green tea, so that may contribute to energy levels. Do you have acid reflux issues outside of the fast days? I'd think the stuff Dan said would help you ease into it. I've done different things to get my body used to burning fat over the years so that may help me.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    So, why bother with a 5:2 over a 16/8 plan?

I didn't realize it was anything besides skipping breakfast, but there have been times (like when I stopped eating eggs) that I was doing 16/8, and found it quite easy. It also works well with my schedule, since I typically work out at lunch time, then eat lunch after. Is there any benefit to a 5:2 over 16/8 5-6 days a week?
    In what I've read the 5:2 is always presented as an easy alternative, rather than as a more beneficial option. I can't claim to know the science though. But if they are equally beneficial, I'm with you, 16/8 is pretty damn natural for me. Coffee for breakfast, work out around noon, eat lunch. dinner around 7:00 and no late snack. I used to eat something for breakfast mainly because everybody said it was important to eat breakfast, I'm never that hungry first thing. Not snacking late is pretty much common sense.

Well, I lost 7 pounds in the first 4 weeks of doing this, so pretty stoked about that, as I have had a hell of a time losing any weight in the last few years. Now that I am use to it, I don't feel as funky as I did the first few weeks. I drink a few cups of coffee and have a banana for breakfast, around noon, 90-100 calories eating sliced turkey, salami, etc. Have an apple around 5pm and a low fat yogurt before bed. Drink lots of water and all seems fine.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Well, I lost 7 pounds in the first 4 weeks of doing this, so pretty stoked about that, as I have had a hell of a time losing any weight in the last few years. Now that I am use to it, I don't feel as funky as I did the first few weeks. I drink a few cups of coffee and have a banana for breakfast, around noon, 90-100 calories eating sliced turkey, salami, etc. Have an apple around 5pm and a low fat yogurt before bed. Drink lots of water and all seems fine.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    Awesome! I'm down a few pounds but too many social events made it difficult a number of days. But without fasting I would of gained weight with what I ate. Definitely feel like I am able to reject food easier, even on my non fast days.

Last edited by neufox47; 05-07-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Reporting in to say I obviously blew it this month, as I weighted in the same today???? That said, there was a lot of partying going on during the days I could eat, so maybe I am fortunate to be the same weight.
    Any ways, I have decided to step it up for month 3. Fasting on Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday. While I do a brisk walk twice a day with the dogs, that 1.5 hours obviously does not off set how much I sit on my ass, so I am going back to the 3 day a week work outs too. Lets see if I can get my glacial metabolism going this month or I am going to have to go to the Fat Center Medical weight loss and start taking speed. Talk to you in 30 days.

Try working in some high intensity intervals. Max output should help up the metabolism more than cardio. Weights too if you can.

I've been drinking waaayyy too much. Turns out fasting and drinking is not the best combo. Eating is fine, but man, Ive been averaging 30-35 drinks a week the past couple weeks. Clear path to alcoholism... Right now the only thing preventing day drinking is the desire to work out at night.

I've been drinking waaayyy too much. Turns out fasting and drinking is not the best combo. Eating is fine, but man, Ive been averaging 30-35 drinks a week the past couple weeks. Clear path to alcoholism... Right now the only thing preventing day drinking is the desire to work out at night.
    Don't you have a goal to get to 8% BF? Five drinks every night sure isn't going to get you there.

Don't you have a goal to get to 8% BF? Five drinks every night sure isn't going to get you there.
    Yea, I do, and you're right. More like 1 or 2 drinks Mon- thurs, and 10+ Friday and Sat, not that it really mattters how they are spaced. I'm being a piece of shit right now.

Day 1 of sobriety, starts today. Oh shit moment came when I had 9 high alcohol content beers on Friday and only felt buzzed. Maybe I should put a lock on my wine fridge and liquor cabinet.

Yea, I do, and you're right. More like 1 or 2 drinks Mon- thurs, and 10+ Friday and Sat, not that it really mattters how they are spaced. I'm being a piece of shit right now.

Day 1 of sobriety, starts today. Oh shit moment came when I had 9 high alcohol content beers on Friday and only felt buzzed. Maybe I should put a lock on my wine fridge and liquor cabinet.
    Glad I am not the only alcoholic here. Days I can eat, I drink 4+ IPA's and often end up just getting wrecked, likely from not eating much. All the booze calories are fucking me up for sure. Tonight I am going to skip the beer, get baked and hopefully not eat a pan of lemon bars

Every time this thread pops up I think the title is "Eat Fast and Live Longer" and it makes me go "WTF?"

Maybe because it should be "Eat, Fast, and live longer," or "Eat and Fast to Live Longer."

Meh. I should give this a try since my injured ass can't exercise like I used to and I've put on 20 lbs in the last year.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

You don't want to do that too many years in a row.

So ..... tweakers are braniacs?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Every time this thread pops up I think the title is "Eat Fast and Live Longer" and it makes me go "WTF?"

Maybe because it should be "Eat, Fast, and live longer," or "Eat and Fast to Live Longer."

Meh. I should give this a try since my injured ass can't exercise like I used to and I've put on 20 lbs in the last year.
    The title is Eat, fast and live longer. Doesn't the comma imply a break? I guess the recent? trend of not putting a coma before the and in lists makes it more confusing.

Ice - yeah its only been like 4-5 weeks of that for me. Stupid regardless. Thought "my day would be way better if I had a martini" at 11am yest.

My workouts have went to shit in that time too. Despite not having a drop off in training, I've gotten slower, weaker, and get tired faster. Fuck this shit.

/ whining

For people that drink booze or in my case, over indulge in drinking. Just stop it if you want to lose the weight. With the wife out of town for 9 days, I went to fasting on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, worked out 3 days and only had 1 beer until Friday, where I blew it and had 5 Stone IPA's. Anyways, weight in this morning and lost 5lbs in a week I think I can see how this works now and I should be in great shape by October. I was amazed by how just 3 days in the gym, lifting weights, has already helped my strength, when it comes to paddling to catch waves. I am stoked.