Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Most ops don't give two shits about the locals.

That being said, here's the northern chugach

Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

i dont understand this thread except for the pictures. those are fkna
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    What really does that have to do with anything, No I was not born here. Came up the day after I graduated college. Backpack one way ticket and $500. Been here 32 years. Raised a family have a business and donate my time and money to my community. I consider myself local.

I was wondering how much time you have spent in this area in Feb.? Since I used to start work in March I did most of my trips in winter. I do not think dick waving makes your opinion any more relevant. I will say you would be hard pressed to find someone that has spent more time in this part of the Chugach in winter.

Thank's for pointing out the options. That is what I am saying. I left one area due to conflict with snowmachines. I no longer go to Valdez due to the changes . This part of the Chugach offers easy cheap access to a big mountain experience. It is where I did some of my most memorable trips. You know just a couple of buddies hauling sleds from the road. Sort of Further before TGR.
    Anyway my opinion is it is time to start limiting heli operations in AK.
    I have no idea who akdusty is

personally I have no idea of your ethics, but personally when I do things I try to do them with respect for the people who were there before me and may come after.
    Here's the point: Most native alaskans that I've know are not big on restricting access to anywhere, at any time or by any means. By advocating restrictions you're attitude is directly in opposition to "the people who were there before". By moving there, raising a family, starting a business and bringing along attitudes that probably weren't very common when you moved there, you have already changed things from 'the way they were'.

I personally agree that restricting access could be a desirable, but I doubt I could find a majority of old time alaskans who would agree with me. To be straight up honest about it, most people who want restrictions on something only advocate those restrictions that don't interfere with their own ability to make a living or their own recreational activities (even though it will do that to other people). These are the "ethics" of self interest. Nothing wrong with that (this is America, after all). But I do have a problem when such advocates act like they have the moral high ground.

And yes, I lived in Alaska and dragged sleds around in the Alaska Range and in the Chugach before you ever showed up. (Yes, I am that old). Does that make my opinion on this subject any more important or valid than yours or that of anyone else? I don't think so.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wcf3 View Post
    Here's the point: Most native alaskans that I've know are not big on restricting access to anywhere, at any time or by any means.
    what are you calling a "native"?

Here's the point: Most native alaskans that I've know are not big on restricting access to anywhere, at any time or by any means
    only when there is something in it for them otherwise they are all for restrictions.
    http://www.eyakcorporation.com/websi...-services.html
    And yes, I lived in Alaska and dragged sleds around in the Alaska Range and in the Chugach before you ever showed up. (Yes, I am that old). Does that make my opinion on this subject any more important or valid than yours or that of anyone else? I don't think so
    glad to here that . I agree that is what I posted earlier. your a solid skier for an old guy.
    off your knees Louie

I could post up some Cordova stoke ... but posting on Facebook is so much easier!

I'll just give you these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	149171_941416746138_936807483_n.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	136008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	164446_940991667998_858591196_n.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	136009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	420024_941705372728_1886424101_n.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	136010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	420168_940991518298_1435899098_n.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	136011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	544662_940991817698_962544047_n.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	136012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	598658_940991159018_135939194_n.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	136013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	733967_940991802728_2144758950_n.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	136014
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post

there was a english guy named dave who was guiding around kicking horse and was telling everyone who would listen (and those that wouldnt) how he was going to start a "snowboard" heli op somewhere up there. I think it was right beside where they hold tailgate alaska. they were going to rent a bird for a 3 month season.
    did it get off the ground?
    I saw the sign, Alaska Snowboard Guides or something similar. Operating out of the old ABA (I think) spot out Thompson Pass way.

Sent from my ST18i using TGR Forums

Those photos from Cordova look very fun. Did you get to ski the big spine wall from the photo, it looks awesome!

The Northern Chugach is a big area with big peaks, with many drainages not seen even when out flying as they hide behind the massive peaks.

Those photos from Cordova look very fun. Did you get to ski the big spine wall from the photo, it looks awesome!

The Northern Chugach is a big area with big peaks, with many drainages not seen even when out flying as they hide behind the massive peaks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spine Cruiser 2013.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	736.2 KB 
ID:	136024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Great Wall 2013.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	653.3 KB 
ID:	136025   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wide Shot 2013.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	837.5 KB 
ID:	136026  

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Serious question. How are you guys measuring 400cm and 400+cm?

?????????????
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

^^^^
    Digging holes for snow profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Eat a dick, cunt. If they really wanted to support the AK community they would offer drops or the like at a reasonable price.

Don't know shit seems like a disease that's common among your people.
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

You know what's great about the APD and AHS? The offer cheap heli skiing for locals, the owners are locals, and really some of the best people around. They are commercial fishermen, university professors, and the like. They try to take care of the locals and make it so kids can afford to do a heli day every year for a reasonable price. None of the valdez ops or chugach powder guides offer the like. A day of heli skiing in Juneau costs just a little bit more than a day of snowcat skiing in girdwood if you are a local. Heck they will even drop you off up there at the end of the day letting you skin for a while without the 5 hour approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverton Mt View Post
    Not entirely accurate. We have offered local residents discounts many times as I am sure do most ops. It's just not advertised as space is limited to certain occasions. Being upset that the rate quoted to Chugachjed for his private ship request, to a drop location of his choice and out of our normal flight route, that was higher than he wanted to pay wasn't meant as an offense to locals. It's math. Aviation is crazy expensive in a B3. You can charter any number of local year round helicopters that can do the same job for much less money and won't be flying with empty seats. In order to make single drops financially feasible you have to do high volume which then counters all the other points previously stated above..

Obviously there is another side, and Chugachjed did not fully explain his without leaving out things to make someone else look bad.

You know what happens down here in Colorado in March? The sun is high in the sky, snow changes fast, and people with money go to AK.

Maybe being less of an asshole and more constructive might get you what you want.

these guys seem cool, and take rad photos.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Tallest Peak in the Chugach!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverton Mt View Post
    ^^^^
    Digging holes for snow profiles.

And probing from the bottom of your pit? Or do you have some poor intern digging 12+ft holes?
    Last edited by _Aaron_; 04-05-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Serious question. How are you guys measuring 400cm and 400+cm?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using TGR Forums
    Nice shots!

Easy. 150 cm snow pit, 300cm probe to the ground from there. Did it today ~5800ft in Haines.

HS 450+ NE aspect.

oops sorry. thinking I missed an inside joke here. Just noticed this was Aaron...Hope Jackson is treating you well this year!
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Nice shots!

Easy. 150 cm snow pit, 300cm probe to the ground from there. Did it today ~5800ft in Haines.

HS 450+ NE aspect.

oops sorry. thinking I missed an inside joke here. Just noticed this was Aaron...Hope Jackson is treating you well this year!
    Really I was just hoping to get a picture of an intern standing in a 12ft hole doing layer ID on a ladder like they used to make me do when I was interning in Canada.

Jackson was/is great. Im in Anchorage now, waiting for some friends to show up so we can hop on a bush plane. Give me a ring if you end up around here soon.
    More stoke, less shit.

my sled is yelling at me to load up and head up there to poach your front country ... eh?

shit, I might even bring a snowboard on my sled ... for ballast only of course ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    my sled is yelling at me to load up and head up there to poach your front country ... eh?

shit, I might even bring a snowboard on my sled ... for ballast only of course ...
    good luck getting back there on a sled, and its pretty much all open (sigh)

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Eat a dick, cunt. If they really wanted to support the AK community they would offer drops or the like at a reasonable price.
    Exactly This!

wasn't born here but been around long enough to realize another heli opp isn't really what Ak needs. But yea, any operation that won't provide reasonable bumps to locals should be shuttered. Heli skiing's a late 90s early naughts fad anyway

Although we aren't a longtime staple, after 6-7 years operating here we are quietly closing in on a decade in the northen chugach. There are several operations in AK with much less history, operating in crowded areas. The fact that almost nobody knows we are here means we haven't created too many problems. I would also wager the deals we offered to locals previously are as good as any with some super stoked folks who got a private style heli adventure for just a few bones. Timing is everything in regards to deals on heli skiing.

A few favorite pics from the A team last season when they sent it in the Northern Chugach.

Name:	CIMG3745.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	136285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3633.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	136286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seth.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	136287  

little further south...

Name:	IMG_2000.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	136291  

Saw your camp outside Anchorage last night. We were the goofballs who drove up near sunset. Rad location. You skiing those peaks behind you? Some nice looking avy paths up there.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.