Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Is the southside done for skiing this year yet. A call to the 5th season made it seem bleak

Quote Originally Posted by w j b View Post
    Is the southside done for skiing this year yet. A call to the 5th season made it seem bleak
    Here's what the SSW aspects of Shasta looked like this past Sunday. Sorry for the haziness; taken from a distance on Lassen Peak summit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1983-2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	137988

On a side note, is it worth trying to still ski Lassen this weekend, or is the summit parking lot going to be a complete shit show? Never bothered trying to ski there on Memorial Day weekend in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by wanghoeby View Post
    Here's what the SSW aspects of Shasta looked like this past Sunday. Sorry for the haziness; taken from a distance on Lassen Peak summit.

On a side note, is it worth trying to still ski Lassen this weekend, or is the summit parking lot going to be a complete shit show? Never bothered trying to ski there on Memorial Day weekend in the past.
    I doubt you'll find solitude but assume most of the traffic will be families in RVs. How was the coverage on Lassen last weekend? Does the south side from the parking lot still go?

Planning a Lassen/Shasta trip for next weekend.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by wanghoeby View Post
    I'm also strongly considering a trip up this weekend. Pondering a drive up on Sat afternoon to camp and ski Sun morning, but wondering if the crowds will be too out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss Worthington View Post
    I'm also strongly considering a trip up this weekend. Pondering a drive up on Sat afternoon to camp and ski Sun morning, but wondering if the crowds will be too out of control.
    Last year I skied Lassen on memorial day climbing from the devastated area lot. Didn't see a soul the whole way up until reaching the summit when I ran into all the traffic from the south side. There were a lot of climbers/skiers up there but not too out of control - still a fun time especially if you ski the N face and hike up or wrap back around to the south side before descending back to the car.

If you're looking for a quieter place to camp, would recommend the area near the devastated area lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    I doubt you'll find solitude but assume most of the traffic will be families in RVs. How was the coverage on Lassen last weekend? Does the south side from the parking lot still go?

Planning a Lassen/Shasta trip for next weekend.

Name:	IMG_1991-2.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	138049

Here's a pic from the summit looking at the south side. Losing some snow near the ridge (actually just makes the hike up easier), but still should be great this weekend and next.

After thinking about it, I may end up doing laps on south Lassen this weekend and shooting for Shasta next weekend.

South face on Lassen was great this afternoon after 2pm. Hiked up in the perfect amount of soft snow to feel comfortable booting the steeps without worry of taking a long slide, and smooooooooth cornslush until the suncups began just above the little (frozen) pond near the parking lot. With the weather forecast looking the way it does, there should remain plenty of great, easy touring up there for at least a week, maybe two...

Skinned up and skied Hotlum-Wintun from 10.5k today. First 1500 vertical was pretty smooth, then at least a mile of sizeable (1-2 feet deep, at times) sun cups. Not unmanageable, but a good workout when you've had a short season. On snow *almost* to the car. Started graupeling on us at noon, just before we headed down.

Heard it was great up high. Skiing in a cloud from our high point up. Camping in McCloud with friends right now and there's a small system moving in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

We were on H-W last weekend, still working on getting photos together. In the meantime, here are some photos I took of various sides of the mountain for everyone's trip planning use!

Name:	DSCN3431.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	138107

Name:	DSCN3483.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	138108

Name:	DSCN3487.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	138109

Name:	DSCN3497.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	138110

Name:	DSCN3509.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	138111

Name:	DSCN3535.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	138113
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3527.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	138112  

Nice Linds!

Quote Originally Posted by linds-o-rama View Post

Name:	DSCN3487.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	138109
    [
    I'm curious what they want for that 55 acres

Is anyone cruising bye the north gate trailhead anytime soon? I left my hiking boots with my foot beds at the far end of the trailhead parking lot. I will kick someone cash if they find them and ship them to me. Thanks guys!
    My season pass has 700cc's.

Who crushed Lassen this weekend? And more importantly, how are snow conditions looking for next weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Who crushed Lassen this weekend? And more importantly, how are snow conditions looking for next weekend?
    Was there on Saturday. The north face was great, the south face was starting to get a little bumpy. Coverage was pretty good, easily able to still ski to the car (at summit parking lot). Given the high temperatures this week, not sure how it will be next weekend though.

Anyone interested to do Shasta this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Skied the south face Friday and thought it skied well. The other stuff in the park looked good too, if I had time I would definitely done some exploring.

Was on Shasta Saturday, it also skied well, even if the exit was dirty and cupped.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    Skied the south face Friday and thought it skied well. The other stuff in the park looked good too, if I had time I would definitely done some exploring.

Was on Shasta Saturday, it also skied well, even if the exit was dirty and cupped.
    Where did you ski on Shasta? Trying to decide between Saddlebag area or Shasta for this weekend. It seems like the temps could be cooler at Shasta. Is there any skinable snow to Lake Helen?

Where did you ski on Shasta? Trying to decide between Saddlebag area or Shasta for this weekend. It seems like the temps could be cooler at Shasta. Is there any skinable snow to Lake Helen?
    East side, HW. No info on Avy Gulch.

Avy Gulch is pretty darn burnt. It's HW, or something on the north side for decent Shasta skiing, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Avy Gulch is pretty darn burnt. It's HW, or something on the north side for decent Shasta skiing, IMO.
    Yeah we are heading to Brewer Creek. Is it a dry slog for a while from the trail head? A friend told me that the Brewer Creek drainage could have snow in it making it possible to stop on the road short of the trailhead and skin up the creek. Any hope for that?

Lassen Road scheduled to open on Thursday. Anyone free midweek?

Anyone want to hit Shasta midweek, this week or next?

I'm looking at a volcano tour ...
    Lassen 6/6
    Adams 6/8 & 6/9
    Hood?
    Shasta?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I skied the h/w on Monday, first time skiing from above 14000 feet. We were passed at 13500 feet by a 65 year old Bavarian from incline village who skinned the whole route. Walter or Martin, I can't remember. He left the cars at the same time we left our 10000 foot camp. No whippet, ice axe or ski or boot cramps. Everyone else i saw above 12500 feet had boot cramps and ice axe. There were at least 40 people on the h/w that day as well 140 people on the AG route.

Harpo, could you get water from Brewer Creek or did you have to melt snow? Climbing advisory says the creek isn't open yet at 10k, but I don't think it's been updated in a while.

We didn't see any water we could collect to drink after we left the cars. But we weren't looking as all the intel we had was that there was none.

Yeah we are heading to Brewer Creek. Is it a dry slog for a while from the trail head? A friend told me that the Brewer Creek drainage could have snow in it making it possible to stop on the road short of the trailhead and skin up the creek. Any hope for that?
    Given the ass kicking you’re your signing up for, the approach isn’t a big deal. Last weekend trees blocked the road after the final switchback, so you’re walking before the trailhead, but it isn’t too bad (a mile?). On the return we cut through the woods and saved a lot of time but didn’t feel like fucking around in the dark on the way up. The drainage is snow free below the trailhead, above it was easier to hike until tree line. I was able to connect patches for a while on the return.

Have fun.

Just seconding that even when dry below 8000', brewer creek is super easy and even do-able in ski boots ... Last year we booted on soft ash and forest floor to about 7800' before on skins. Easy peasy with snowboard or decent AT boots.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

hey tony, we talked to that guy on sunday. he crushed everybody on the mountain. I gave a huge hoot when he dropped in from the summit. He said "skinning is easy". we were all mountaineering and he was touring.

at least 50 skiers/boarders on the HW, and that side looked like a resort with the tracks. we avoided most all the tracks though by going way out on the wintun. really good smooth corn down to about 9k and can ride all the way to the trail about 5 min. from TH.

you have to hike up 15 minutes through the forest to TH, then another 10-15 minutes out the trail until you can start skinning. Go Wade, it is one of the best descents anywhere.

i'd love to blow off work and join ya schralp, but can't pull it. I heard the sisters are prime too.