Time for new drivetrains - 2x10 question

Ok, so both bikes are due for new drivetrains, and I'm thinking of moving to 2x10 in order to run the newer clutch derailleurs.

Both have triples up front. The big bike has two rings with a bash and I'm thinking of converting the little bike to two rings and a bash.

What I'm curious about though is whether or not a triple set up as a double is essentially the same thing or if I have to play with the spacing up front?
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

are you planing on buying new cranks or using your old 3X cranks?

So your going to need to buy a 10sp cassette, 10sp chain, 10sp clutch derailer, 10sp shifter.
    -You can run a triple crank with a granny, middle, and bash and keep your same front derailer, and keep your same 3 speed shifter no problem.
    -OR if you buy a 2x10 crank you need a new 2x10 front derailer and a 2x10 shifter.

The spacing and shifting index of a 2x10 crank is different than the spacing on 3x10 (or 9) crank.

Hope that helps.
    D.H.

Planning to keep the 3 x 9. Whole back end, chain, and rear shifter would need to be changed of course. I'm thinking I'll need special chainrings up front to accommodate the newer, narrow chain also?

My main question though is will I need to add spacers to my existing cranks to move the chainrings outward to properly center them relative to the cassette. Or am I'm being to engineeredy?
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

9sp chain rings will accept the 10spd chain. Same inner width, but narrower plates. No problem there.
    No need to adjust chain line, granny and mid ring will line up well.

Definitely keep your granny/middle/bash setup for 2x10 with the clutch derailleur. It's a really good setup. The bash keeps the chain from dropping outside and the clutch handles most everything else.

The 2x10 cranks don't easily accept a bash (I think SRAM has one that'll work with their 2x10 cranks), but with the 3x10 cranks you just rip off the big chainring (this is easier).

I use a 2x10 with a bash on my ibis and it works really well. I started off with a chain guide (don't have ISCG tabs), but the bottom roller would not stay intact so I switched over to the clutch and it has been working great so far (since Jan.). I was going to get a new 3x set-up up front since I love my little gears for spinning, but the shop convinced me that it wasn't the best option for a new bike especially since SRAM makes a 2x10 that has smaller gears then what is generally spec'ed. I was going to have to buy new cranks anyway so it was a different decision, but I'm glad I went 2x10. I love tight chain lines and the 2x set-up is the best I have gotten outside of my single ring on my dh bike.

Thanks, all!!! It's much appreciated!!!

I'm sure I'm jinxing myself here, but I'm definitely keeping the cranks on both bikes. The XTs have been on the little bike since 04; and despite a ginormous gouge I put in one of the arms years ago, they're still going strong. My Atlas FRs have been great on the other bike too.

The Shimano XT 2x10 crankset actually puts the chainline slightly further outboard than I would like. (I spend lots of time in the small gears spinning up long climbs. Much more time than descending in my highest cog.) I had only one choice of bash guard and the 3x10 chainline would have been slightly better for my uses. I'd still switch it from 22/32 to like 24/36.

God yes, there needs to be more choice for bashguards for 2X10 cranks. Aren't there things you can attach to the BB that just gives you a plate or something. I see the rings getting really bent up really easily without a bash or a plate or something.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    The Shimano XT 2x10 crankset actually puts the chainline slightly further outboard than I would like. (I spend lots of time in the small gears spinning up long climbs. Much more time than descending in my highest cog.) I had only one choice of bash guard and the 3x10 chainline would have been slightly better for my uses. I'd still switch it from 22/32 to like 24/36.
    Take out a BB spacer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Take out a BB spacer yet?
    Oh yes. I even put one in the other side. (I think, trying to remember.) I run it further to the non-drive side than stock. It's pretty good now.

The 2x style guides that give you a taco bash attached to your ISCG tabs or BB are nice, but they can still let your chain drop to the outside of the ring in extreme circumstances. (I've seen it happen anyhow.) I really think bashguards are under appreciated as a dual purpose part.

Oh yeah, I wasn't even thinking about the fact that the chain can drop outside. I guess just a taco wouldn't prevent that.
    No longer stuck.

A 2x10 with a clutch derailleur and a Biocon chain guide, proper chain length and proper FD set up will never drop a chain.

if it's "properly" set up.

I'd be more concerned with bent teeth, since I ride downhill left foot forward.
    No longer stuck.