Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    These are good for rectangle lawns.

Come on. This all fits the trailer park theme a little too well.

Crass Pro Tip: If you do get sod (do you wanna have a lawn this year)? A machette works better than anything I've found to cut sod. [TM]

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Come on. This all fits the trailer park theme a little too well.
    I bet you would know......

Danno...if you're really lazy and don't care about ghetto, buy some PVC pipe, connections, risers and a few sprinklers.

Create an above ground system. Hook it up to a hose. Easy and cheap.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

If you really do live in a dry hot area a fully auto sprinkeler system is nice, in Kelowna lots of homes had it, I lived in a starter class of home and it had a full programmable system out in the front yard

no need up here
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

There is nothing that says you cannot use the parts for an in ground system above ground. Some of the sprinkler zones we have the ground is nothing but rock so the pipe runs along the surface. The sprinkler heads you can dig in or just get a small stake to hold them. The pipe is much more flexable then PVC so if you take it down in the winter it would require a lot less space. Just make sure to use quality clamps or in the hot summer sun if you have a lot of pressure(highly unlikely coming from a hose spigot) you could blow apart some joints. If you want to save some money skip getting valves and just run the pipe for your zones to your spigot. Then have a short flexible hose with the female hose fitting on the end. Connect the zone to the spigot and turn it on. When that zone is done connect the next one.

^^how do you cut the lawn with all this shit lying on top or is it off to the side enough so you don't run over it with a lawnmower?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ^^how do you cut the lawn with all this shit lying on top or is it off to the side enough so you don't run over it with a lawnmower?
    My ghetto system is nailing the pvc to the neighbors fences and just have a few short hose pieces to move for mowing.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Our system is for watering some trees and keeping the dirt on the motocross track nice and moist. No mowing grass around here. If you get creative it would not be hard to route the pipe so it is out of the way for the mower.

Use your work connections and get a few Ute's (cue lawyer joke) to come over and dance on it a couple times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Use your work connections and get a few Ute's (cue lawyer joke) to come over and dance on it a couple times a week.
    Two whats?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

you could get this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-13-...3#.UVi5IpOyJY4

Seriously, though, irrigation systems are easy to set up... I use to have to dig up and fix sprinklers the horses broke all the time... just saw the broken PVC pipe, and glue it back together with a connector dealy.

If you set it up with a drain valve on the lowest point you don't even have to dig very deep. Otherwise, you can use an air compressor to blow them out in the fall, but its easier if you just make it drain. you just dig the ditch, connect the pipes, connect the sprinklers.. like tinker toys or something. It is EASY.

Also, if you REALLY do not want to dig, go to an irrigation supply store, and they have sprinkler heads that will cover quite a bit of distance, so you might be able to do something above ground along the edge of the grass that will reach the middle depending in the shape and how much water pressure you have. You might not be able to run them all at one time, though, and that sounds like more work and complication than just digging some ditches.

Are you getting sod or planting grass from seed? If you are planning on using seed, you really need a good system to get keep it moist, or it will take a long, long time to get the grass to establish..

Heathen. Zionist pig!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Two whats?
    Yutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    i have the same challenge, bigger lawn, prolly 3/4 of .4 acre is lawn. I've been toying with a ghetto idea using 3/4" PVC w/valves and a few bits of hose...

the reason i don't just use spigots is that our sub has free irrigation water in the back corner of each lot. So it all has to come back to that single source, and it has semi-lame pressure, as in only one sprinkler at a time...
    If you have poor pressure, it would be better to go with a larger pipe to maintain the pressure (1" probably). Downsizing pipe increases velocity, which is can do more harm than good depending on circumstances. But since your pressure sucks, do it just to maximize water you have to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    If you have poor pressure, it would be better to go with a larger pipe to maintain the pressure (1" probably). Downsizing pipe increases velocity, which is can do more harm than good depending on circumstances. But since your pressure sucks, do it just to maximize water you have to work with.
    He could also put in a pump, couldn't he? When I had irrigation water, I could run it with just the gravity/irrigation system pressure or run the pump. With the pump I could turn everything on at once, but without I could only run a few lines at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    These are good for rectangle lawns.

I have a couple neighbors who i'm assuming their sprinkler system quit working for whatever reason and just throw these out nightly. Move it a couple times and voila. I live in 85+ from may to oct. plenty of 100's in there during ths time and they keep their lawn growing. One neighbor got one of them old school tic tic tic, spray sprinklers and he only moves it once. you might want to look into those. Easily moved and has built in stake to just shove in the ground. I can keep my lawn pretty green with 10 min of water a night. If you want it lush, you have to up that depending on the climate. Either way, i seeded and fertilzed mine. I went with rye grass and 16-16-16 fertilizer. Water the hell out of it for at least an hour to hour and a half after laying down the seed and fertilizer . i hit it for 20-30 dialy after that until it takes off. I started with straight dirt and rototilled/raked it before hitting it with the seed and fertilizer. I had alot of weeds/clovers with the initial grow. The mexicans were telling my wife i did it all wrong. Hit it with some weed be gone and fuck you mexicans, hehe. I probably should have hit it with the weed killer first. But whatever, ive got a full yard of grass. Way less labor if you seed it yourself and prep it. i just hired a couple neighborhood kids to come help me rake it. I probably spent another couple hours pulling weeds and drinking beers. it was worth it. I can hand pull the amount i get now. I probably would have to hit it with weed killer every year if i didnt take the time to pull some roots.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    He could also put in a pump, couldn't he? When I had irrigation water, I could run it with just the gravity/irrigation system pressure or run the pump. With the pump I could turn everything on at once, but without I could only run a few lines at a time.
    He could, and he would still want to use the larger pipe. Gal/min flow would need to be determined before any design or recommendations could be made. There are different mousetraps that work better than others depending on what you are working with.

You're in Boulder, right? Your local contractor can't be beat:

Let me know if you need help with the install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Any 'contractor' that would work for Coors Light is fairly suspect. But at least he wouldn't get too drunk on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    I don't get it.

fify5678
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

I play out my own tangents.

Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
    I have a couple neighbors who i'm assuming their sprinkler system quit working for whatever reason and just throw these out nightly. Move it a couple times and voila. I live in 85+ from may to oct. plenty of 100's in there during ths time and they keep their lawn growing. One neighbor got one of them old school tic tic tic, spray sprinklers and he only moves it once. you might want to look into those. Easily moved and has built in stake to just shove in the ground. I can keep my lawn pretty green with 10 min of water a night. If you want it lush, you have to up that depending on the climate. Either way, i seeded and fertilzed mine. I went with rye grass and 16-16-16 fertilizer. Water the hell out of it for at least an hour to hour and a half after laying down the seed and fertilizer . i hit it for 20-30 dialy after that until it takes off. I started with straight dirt and rototilled/raked it before hitting it with the seed and fertilizer. I had alot of weeds/clovers with the initial grow. The mexicans were telling my wife i did it all wrong. Hit it with some weed be gone and fuck you mexicans, hehe. I probably should have hit it with the weed killer first. But whatever, ive got a full yard of grass. Way less labor if you seed it yourself and prep it. i just hired a couple neighborhood kids to come help me rake it. I probably spent another couple hours pulling weeds and drinking beers. it was worth it. I can hand pull the amount i get now. I probably would have to hit it with weed killer every year if i didnt take the time to pull some roots.
    That's sorta what I ended up doing and the only grass experience I have is the kind you pack in bowls.

I took the yard on my rental from this:

To this in about two weeks with about $80 in grass seed and lots of water.

Still need to throw some fertilizer down in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    in Boulder.
    Forget about it. The water gestapo will be out in force this summer, and you'll need alot of water to get a lawn started.

no watering restrictions yet, and this is a small backyard with privacy fence, we may be able to do it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy