Check Out Our Shop
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1384
    Live report for those considering coming up this weekend. Horrid downslope winds this morning at ~10k, burned hour or so at Camp Helen waiting to see if it would abate. It did somewhat as the morning went on, and gusts became less pronounced approaching the Trinity Bench. Was optimistic that snow would still soften. No wind at top of west face, sat until 1:30 and skied down. Snow was firm until probably 11.5k, and didn’t get consistently good until 11k. Overall takeaway was the upper face did not feel close to softening today, even with full sun and no wind. Like maybe 3 pm might have been close but maybe not. I don’t see high odds of upper mountain softening for awhile with the forecasted temps if today wasn’t enough.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF7A09DD-CE1B-4158-A91F-CC467343FBBE.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	620.6 KB 
ID:	493814

summited Lassen at 10 am approx, had to wait an hour for the NE/E faces to soften. skied directly to the devastated parking lot but was getting thin in the trees in spots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2128.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	656.6 KB 
ID:	494004
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2135.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	578.9 KB 
ID:	493986  
    Last edited by frorider; 05-21-2024 at 06:39 AM.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Nice!

Planning on coming down from WA to ski Shasta and Lassen this weekend, I imagine there will be decent crowds. Would it be reasonable to expect to sleep in the trailhead parking lots or do they ever fill up?

Couple nice pullouts in the way up Shasta rd. I like to sleep a bit away in a more quiet spot. Around lassen is nowhereville w lots of quiet spots as well..

Thanks, my only volcano experience is in Washington where it can be pandemonium with limited space for vehicles

If you don’t mind sharing a parking lot with other skiers, car camping at the devastated area in lassen can be fun. Drink beers with fellow skiers, stare at the ski lines, and walk/skin from there in the am.
    Lots of quieter places along the way in too if that’s your preference.

Lassen / Shasta Conditions Anyone?

I have not ever had parking problems at Lassen on Memorial Day Weekend because the Bumpsss and Devastated lots are so large (granted it’s been about 8 years), but I fully expect Bunny Flat to be a complete shitshow and hard to find parking. I haven’t looked on the climbers report to see how far out Brewer Creek access is, but often you can still park at a switchback near the creek drainage well below the proper TH and just go uphill from there … that side will probably not be too busy. There are also lots of places to camp around Mt Shasta lower on the mountain if you can get up mega early to drive to Bunny Flat TH, I would not want to be there after sunrise and looking for parking. I’m sure the locals here have more refined feedback than I do.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

So… the big question for me regarding car camping in these zones, how’s the skeeter hatch?

Name:  IMG_5288.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  167.3 KB
    After finishing up at OV went to Lassen.
    Name:  IMG_5297.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  154.3 KB
    Plenty of folks getting after it. Mogul field off the top.
    Name:  IMG_5296.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  112.6 KB
    The Lemurians always looming in the background.
    Name:  IMG_5309.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  138.1 KB
    Snow holding up pretty well on the steeps, suncupped lower down. From the Devastation area was 20-30 minutes/400vt before could slap on the skis. No skeeters, yet.

I definitely want to ski that. Next Wednesday, Thursday, Friday nights tenting at Manzanita Lake. Will be in the Devastation parking lot the next morning baring weather. Lassen seems manageable in size, like what I see in Pictures of lines and aspect from devastation start..

Shasta seems huge in almost every way. Saturday at hotel in Mount Shasta. Very likely a zero day after. Then would like to drive up Sunday afternoon, park at Bunny and hike up to Horse Camp and tent. Not seeing information on camping policy at Sierra Club or anywhere else besides camp in places and donate $5. Happy to pay the $5, but don’t want to schlep tent and such up just to find no room. Would showing up Sunday 6/9 in afternoon be a good chance to find a parking space and then a hike up to camp Sunday, Monday, Tuesday nights?

Fingers crossed on Weather. Seems likely it will be above average warm when there. Not sure about much else just yet.
    Last edited by cat in january; 05-29-2024 at 07:12 PM.

Recommend camping at Lake Helen if'n yer gonna camp.
    Number of reasons.
    Have fun but fair warning given; the volcanoes are kinda like Ulysses' sirens...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

I was on Shasta last weekend, I wouldn't worry about lack of space to camp, there were probably 100 tents at the lake on Sunday morning. Its all snow, and I would imagine there are many many platforms already dug out. I recommend skiing down the upper Konwakiton to avoid the sastrugi on Misery Hill where I saw several skiers having a bad time on the down. We were able to ski continuously from the summit of Shastina down its south face all the way to the car except for maybe 20 feet of walking, I understand that is pretty rare? We also skied the west face and skiers right Trinity Chute, and Shastina had the smoothest snow.

I am a light sleeper and was not able to get any sleep in my car at Bunny with the holiday weekend crowds driving around and making noise, but it was easy to find a quiet place in the woods behind the parking lot. Dozens of others were doing the same thing.

Sage advice I am sure. I would probably bring my full winter bag for up there as I don’t have anything between it and 30*. Tent is a bit feeble too and I haven’t spent a night in my bivy sack in over twenty five years for a reason. Will look into what the shop in town might rent for tents. If the weather is ok, do folks hang out for a couple nights to ski at Helen Lake?

Good to hear Benneke10 about easy to find sleeping spots away from the parking area and ski conditions.

Found this recent YouTube video by the rangers put out May 24. Long, but you can bounce around. The second half talks more about the climbing of Shasta and the ranger gave current evaluation of snow pack.

Edit: after watching if multi day ski from camp sounds like hidden valley is a good place, but Helen Lake is better to summit.

Yes, I have felt the call of West Coast volcanoes for a long time. Watch the peril
    Last edited by cat in january; 05-29-2024 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Energy View Post
    No skeeters, yet.
    Heh. I grew up in the area and one time when we were kids my dad decided it would be fun to go camping and hiking in the Caribou Wilderness...in late June. Absolutely miserable start to finish, couldn't leave tent any time of day without getting slaughtered.

Appreciate the skeeter update. I’m always weary after skiing Mt conness area at peak of a hatch.

Had plans to be at Lassen Sunday night and Monday with my 18yo. Ended up changing plans and rx burning property on Sunday instead of Saturday (too windy on Sat). Consolation was a ski tour at Carson pass on Monday. Fwiw, the suncups at Carson pass were starting to become character building. But we saw 0 people.

interesting

Cat- Re: Lassen. Bring a towel to dry off after your afternoon/post-ski swim in Lake Mannzanita. Re: Shasta. Hidden Valley is a good choice for a multi-day camp. Keep checking the Shasta Climbing Rangers' website. Good source for info, and they do post the trailhead conditions including how many miles of snow coverage to the trailhead. Snow below 7K seem to be going quick as of last weekend at Lassen, and hopefully it will not be long before Brewer Creek is either open or you can get close enough in a vehicle, particularly if going multi-day, to ski the east side. Some may disagree, but Hotlum/Wintun is IMO a superior ski descent than Avi Gulch and a relatively easier 1 day ascent, too.

Anyone been to Northgate at Shasta this spring? Wondering how bad the road is this year. I got a '03 Tacoma with tires that are 1 inch larger than stock, so a bit extra clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Edit: after watching if multi day ski from camp sounds like hidden valley is a good place, but Helen Lake is better to summit.

Yes, I have felt the call of West Coast volcanoes for a long time. Watch the peril
    Road passable to 3 miles of brewer creek as of today, according to the website. You should totally shoot for hotlum wintun, looks like you nailed the timing

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks again everyone. Leaving in a few days with first three days at Lassen from Devastated trailhead. Will be off line until 6/8 when hit hotel in Mount Shasta to scrub and check on how things are there. Since I am likely to summit Lassen, I don’t have a need to Summit Shasta. Current plan is to either or both: camp in hidden valley and ski Shastina or West Face, drive to Brewer and ski Hot Tun.

Few questions as usual (often remarked to fellow mags one of the best things about the board is the information you get for traveling and super happy to repay anyone coming to Maine). I plan to call the rangers when I drive over and if I get through they may answer these questions. How is the drive to Brewer in a Corolla? On the three routes I mention above on Shasta is rockfall significantly reduced relative to Avalanche Gulch? Suggestions for camping above Brewer?

Thanks all. Hopefully have some pictures to share in a couple weeks and not questions.

Stoked

Cat - Have seen sedans at the Brewer TH. Last year the ~150 yd rough section had been graded smooth. Noticed the "update" yesterday from the rangers that Brewer was still ~5 road miles and ~3 miles as the crow flies to the trailhead. Going to be really warm this week so maybe trading access for suncups?

2 or 3 tent spots at the Brewer TH, otherwise about 1K vert up the hill just above tree line have seen a few tent spots leveled/cleared of rocks. Even if you're from Maine, the skeeters in evening can be thick from the TH to tree line.

While I'm sure it happens, have not seen rock fall on the Hotlum/Wintun route other than at the "cross-over" from the Hotlum to the Wintun at 12K. Have seen some rock fall from the Casaval and Sargent ridges into Avi Gulch. Perhaps not enough for a no go, but consistent with rangers' discussion when windy have experienced above Helen Lake cantalope sized rime ice balls whizzing down hill likely dislodged from the Red Banks. Don't have enough of a sample size to comment on the propensity for rock/ice on Shastina or into Hidden Valley.

Enjoy your trip in the State of Jefferson.

Thanks for all that. Just bought 100% deet for the trip yesterday. Oof the heat, at least I am in a park with swim options for first few days. Ski gear is coming with me, but continuous warmth could limit how much I ski in the eight days. Brewer seems the likely go with orientation, Never skied suncups, so that will be a first.

Called the rangers station in Weaverville about hiking in the trinity alps and snow line is about 6k currently for open trails. Will have gear for a backpacking three day trip if I go that way or maybe somewhere south.

Some may disagree, but Hotlum/Wintun is IMO a superior ski descent than Avi Gulch and a relatively easier 1 day ascent, too.
    Not sure I’ve met anyone who disagrees. Leave Brewer at 5 am, summit by 10, descend. It’s such a nice efficient climb.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Not sure I’ve met anyone who disagrees. Leave Brewer at 5 am, summit by 10, descend. It’s such a nice efficient climb.
    ssssshhhh

insiders know the real secret stash is ash creek butte

Name:  2888679A-AEB3-462C-ACFB-D8596EF07239.jpeg
Views: 288
Size:  122.3 KB
    Last edited by emcee; 06-04-2024 at 05:46 PM.