Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Here are a few pics of the west/north sides of Shasta/Shastina from Monday. Damn it's looking fat up there!

Gonna be at Shasta parking lot tomorrow if anyone wants to go!

holy moly those phots look incredible jimw

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Total Shasta newb here, so sorry for the jong question: Any predictions on when the Brewer Creek TH will open, or the road open to within a reasonable striking distance? I assume when that happens the skiing will still be good?
    Brewer Creek will take a really long time to open anywhere substantially high. I was first up the road last year and had to clear tons of dead fall from the road.. (i was using the day to acclimate).

The snow will stop you until late June at least. I want to check out the little dome to the northwest memorial weekend.

Devestated coverage good, unplowed just past parking area, still 3' of snow on the road and I don't think rangers have any intent to plow it. So it's skins on from the car. A little bit of all-terrain skiing (e.g., giant bootcups, mush, dirt, logs) to "ski" back to the car, which is technically possible, but just as fine to cut out skiers right onto the road and just walk the last 400 yards back to the car.

Things are still very smooth all the way to 6800' elevation, though some skiers sent some pretty good wet slough debris into the skier's left steep bowl that might take a number of days to melt down and smooth back out.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Descended the NE face of Lassen at about 10am on Saturday and it skied great. Wouldn't have wanted to be much later, curious how it held up as the day went on. So much more snow than I've ever personally seen up there. Found a nice little sub drainage through the woods at the bottom that took us straight to the Devastated Area parking lot with minimal trickery required...

Were you one of the two freeheelers in the skier's left line? Or one of the two down the main gut?

I was the only splitter who topped out on Saturday, and I didn't top out until noon (I didn't pull into the lot until 1 AM on Saturday, and I was also the jackass who accidentally set off his car alarm at 630 AM). It was a bit ripe down the spine line (right near the bootpack to just skier's left off the nose of that rollover, I love that line) but plenty supportable. Despite the ripeness I could tell it was actually pretty well drained with clouds and breeze keeping things from getting too soupy, so I booted right back up and popped over the ridgeline traverse and dropped the far skiers right, totally untracked high speed 2nd lap at 3 PM. Other than a few wet sticky wind-drifts of not-yet-transitioned-to-coarse-enough-granules, it was very supportable and very fast shredding. That was a good run!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Ha! Heard about your car alarm, but we were already on our way up due to the dog that started barking at 5:10am at our end of the parking lot. We were the two on the skier's left line (only 1 freeheeler though, I locked them back down this season). Glad to hear it held up well enough on the correct aspect, good work going for another lap.

anybody ever ski ash creek butte northeast of shasta off military pass road?

Locals with sleds do it from what I gather. I've never done it. It always looks great while sipping booze during sunset at the Hotlum hotel, but it's only 1500' of vert and tops out at 8300, so I figure when it's good to go then 19 is gonna be under snow.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Schralph: That's all I'm going off too-- contemplating shasta's more compact petite sexy roommate from the brewer creek flank. Thinking "early enough in the right season and that could be a blast to ski"...well, the road to north point just opened a week ago and it looks like the snow line is close to 6k feet.

But I was worried about sledders tearing it apart.

BUT JIBMASTER DELIVERS!! (all photo credit to him)

Jong here again. Where is North Gate? Having trouble finding that online.

https://hikemtshasta.files.wordpress...-trail-map.jpg

Look for the most due north TH on that map.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

drooling from tahoe... hoping to get lassen end of june and shasta early to mid july
    at least I can ride chairlifts in the meantime

Lassen from Devastated was good again today; planning to ski from North Gate TH tomorrow (Saturday). Bunny is sure to be packed.

if you run into bright yellow pants tomorrow thru monday on the slopes above brewer creek say what's up

the butte was a great idea this long weekend. more pics to come when I can get it off my phone

Skied Lassen on Sat from Devastated. Grade A+ Corn from the summit and skied to the road. Summited Shasta on Sunday and skied the Trinity chutes in more Grade A+ corn (12:30). Twas a good couple of days. There is still 8' of snow at BF.

The real question from the weekend is why don't more people ski ash creek butte

it is proof that god loves us

^^ that's fantastic. did you access from north gate?

brewer creek TH is blocked due to snow 1/4 mile from the turnoff. it probably won't be accessible for another few weeks at least