Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Jesus fucking Christ what a bunch of fucking children

Listen, Jimmy, I may be a smart ass but I at least I know if the lot is plowed or not.
    Hello darkness my old friend

lololololol
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Have a work conference to be at in Bay Area 4/30, so thinking of cajoling one of my SF buddies to go up to Shasta the weekend before. Curious what plowing situation/approach situation will be like, and if it'll still be actively midwinter up there (esp. given THIS winter's momentum) in late April v. the spring corn conditions that everyone goes for in June on a typical year. Any info/beta you could provide would be super helpful.

Thanks!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Lassen / Shasta Conditions Anyone?

Bunny Flat trailhead access is a plowed asphalt highway year round except during a major storm cycle. 2WD rental or friends car probably fine at end of April start of May. Other trailheads likely snowed in unless we have a warm dry April, or you would also want high clearance for them ... and the manzanita will thrash your paint job. If we have a warm drier April you can get good corn. South and west aspects tend to be best that time of year. But weather and ski conditions above 12k’ are very fickle and you’d have to get kind of lucky to find good skiing above that elevation at the start of May. Conditions will vary widely with elevation and aspect, it can be a spring bonanza down low and mid winter with giant sastrugi and chickenheads up high. A 30” dump with 80mph winds up high is not unheard of at that time of year, but so is 48F calm wind and sunny. Skiing from 12k down to Bunny Flat is still a 5000’ sustained vertical run, not bad. Lots of terrain to choose from coming out of Bunny Flat. I’d say don’t make any summit a priority, just a happenstance if conditions, timing and fitness are there.

Closer to your trip I’d keep looking at conditions reports on the Shasta Avalanche website and call the guys at Base Camp and Fifth Season shops for conditions beta, please buy some gear/good map from them if you can! Then you can pick your slope based on conditions etc. Do you have good self arrest experience? You need to be heads up about icefall, melting rime and ice chunks falling off rocks at 13000 feet can go 60 mph toward your head while climbing or descending at 10000 feet. Helmets on at all times once the slope angle kicks up above 10-15 degrees.

Have fun!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Shasta 12k forecast the next few days ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

son skied it from 12500 last weekend. said trail breaking was deep. Called it the best powder he has skied. said the tree skiing was great and that their was a bunch of old people skiing the lower mountain in great conditions. Sounds like now is the time to ski it.
    off your knees Louie

Even spot forecasting Bunny flat is showing A LOT of snow. Doubt anyone is going to be able to get to Bunny Flat till Wednesday.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 8.33.35 AM.png
Views: 715
Size:  147.6 KB

Anyone without a sled anyways ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

When the road closes don't they not allow sleds on the road as well?

I actually don’t know, assumed it was allowed.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Bunny Flat trailhead access is a plowed asphalt highway year round except during a major storm cycle. 2WD rental or friends car probably fine at end of April start of May. Other trailheads likely snowed in unless we have a warm dry April, or you would also want high clearance for them ... and the manzanita will thrash your paint job. If we have a warm drier April you can get good corn. South and west aspects tend to be best that time of year. But weather and ski conditions above 12k’ are very fickle and you’d have to get kind of lucky to find good skiing above that elevation at the start of May. Conditions will vary widely with elevation and aspect, it can be a spring bonanza down low and mid winter with giant sastrugi and chickenheads up high. A 30” dump with 80mph winds up high is not unheard of at that time of year, but so is 48F calm wind and sunny. Skiing from 12k down to Bunny Flat is still a 5000’ sustained vertical run, not bad. Lots of terrain to choose from coming out of Bunny Flat. I’d say don’t make any summit a priority, just a happenstance if conditions, timing and fitness are there.

Closer to your trip I’d keep looking at conditions reports on the Shasta Avalanche website and call the guys at Base Camp and Fifth Season shops for conditions beta, please buy some gear/good map from them if you can! Then you can pick your slope based on conditions etc. Do you have good self arrest experience? You need to be heads up about icefall, melting rime and ice chunks falling off rocks at 13000 feet can go 60 mph toward your head while climbing or descending at 10000 feet. Helmets on at all times once the slope angle kicks up above 10-15 degrees.

Have fun!
    Thanks SM! Much appreciate the beta. I honestly have minimal self arrest experience but have started using all the skimo tools of late and started doing some minor practice this weekend. Good to know about the icefall; saw that concern in other TR's I've read. Thank you so much for this great info!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

No problem. You have much experience with crampons? How about your partner? Regardless of conditions I would not go very far up Shasta without boot crampons and an ice axe. 60 cm is probably good unless you are really tall.

When the weather is good then Shasta is not technically hard, I’d say most injuries on the mountain are due to people front pointing a boot crampon into the other leg’s calf while climbing or slipping/tripping etc. I’d suggest getting some practice with this stuff when local snow conditions are uninspiring and you have a free day to get outside. Bad falls and getting tagged by a big piece of rock or ice also happen all the time on Shasta ... usually for people who are just completely unaware of the mountain while they are traveling on it ... not looking, not listening, not communicating with their partners ... Most of the injury hazards are above 9.5k’ where the slopes kick up in steepness and you are directly underneath uninterrupted fall line of ridges around 13k’ and various lateral moraines and other volcanic features that shed ice and rocks.

Going up also tends to be easier but a lot of people get lost going down because it’s so damn big! So a good map and compass to back up your smartphone GPS app is a no brainer. 5th season has a pictorial map showing various routes and ski options, or you can order one before your trip so that you and your buddy can nerd out on it.

And when weather is bad ... just don’t underestimate it because a calm day can turn to shit, and the winds can be awful and visibility disorienting ... I know people who went up there midwinter 7 years ago and didn’t check updated wx forecasts, didn’t bring weather radios, got trapped in a bad storm and one person did not come home alive.

I’m not trying to dissuade you from going, encouraging you to diligently do your homework on safety gear, routefinding and weather ... then go have fun within your safety margins! If weather is calm I’m sure you will find some good skiing at some aspect and elevation on Shasta to be determined by temperature, wind and sky condition.

It’s truly a special place. About a 5 hour drive from SF / 4.5 hours from Berkeley, not including added “getting out of town” traffic if you guys are leaving at a crap time, as in basically any time on a Friday hah!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Looks like I'll be popping over to Mt. Shasta March 17-22 to see my dying grandmother. Any Shasta mags into touring if the snow is good? Bunny Flat or ski park sidecountry? I'll bring the beer.

Hey folks,

Hope everyone is excited for the upcoming spring/summer on shasta. I’m currently in Tahoe and my lease ends in May. I’ve been considering a move to the shasta area for May-September until I take off for Peru. I was wondering if anyone had any insight, tips or pointers. Housing doesn’t seem all that difficult to come across (at least compared to Tahoe) and I feel like my one speed bump will be finding a non bottom of the barrel job. Again, just wondering if anyone has done something similar and moved to shasta for a few months. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by B.Gillis View Post
    .... considering a move to the shasta area ....

no matter what anybody says,
    do it ....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

I’ve been considering a move to the shasta area for May-September until I take off for Peru.
    Used to work with a bunch of people down there. The City of Mt. Shasta is probably the most desirable place to live/rent. Your best prospects for work are probably things related to wildland fire fighting (not usually conducive to summertime leisure/ adventuring).

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Looks like I'll be popping over to Mt. Shasta March 17-22 to see my dying grandmother. Any Shasta mags into touring if the snow is good? Bunny Flat or ski park sidecountry? I'll bring the beer.
    Sorry about your grandmother. I ski daily in the Shasta-T. pm as you get closer.

Hey folks,

Hope everyone is excited for the upcoming spring/summer on shasta. I’m currently in Tahoe and my lease ends in May. I’ve been considering a move to the shasta area for May-September until I take off for Peru. I was wondering if anyone had any insight, tips or pointers. Housing doesn’t seem all that difficult to come across (at least compared to Tahoe) and I feel like my one speed bump will be finding a non bottom of the barrel job. Again, just wondering if anyone has done something similar and moved to shasta for a few months. Much appreciated!
    I moved here for a few months in 1995 and am still here...What's your skill set? Jobs are pretty scarce in Siskiyou Co. Rentals seem tight but maybe not compared to Tahoe. Would recommend MS over Weed and Dunsmuir. If you're into quiet and fishing, McCloud would be awesome and inexpensive and available rentals. Many seasonal workers camp in the national forest surrounding town, good, cheap living. I'm happy to help out, hit me up.

Be polite to everyone you meet (good advice in general) and get ready for State of Jefferson don't tread on me, don't vaccinate me, don't school me, don't regulate me!!! That, and crystal worshipers ...

You might also look at the Ashland/Talent/Medford area. About 1:15 to 1:30h north of Shasta City, so not quite as close to all the various Shasta-T trailheads but still doable for day-trip skiing in May-July. And then you also have May skiing on McLoughlin/Brown 40 mins outside of town (I know it's not as good as Shasta but still scenic and fun!). And the MTB scene in Ashland/Talent is off the charts good if you have a bike, especially if you have 27+ tires. Probably some better prospects for seasonal construction/tourism work up there over Shasta, at least before fire season shuts everything down. Very big tourism scene in Ashland that helps with jobs (and lots of hippies, and lots of fall harvest trimmigrants). Lots of growing suburban and retirement developments outside of Medford as well, that helps with some service and construction related jobs.

Do you have a high clearance vehicle? High clearance and don't care about your paint job will open up various trailhead access options too ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    Sorry about your grandmother. I ski daily in the Shasta-T. pm as you get closer.
    Will do, thanks. Username checks out!

Thank you everyone for the input and advice. I’m pretty familiar with the area and would definitely prefer Mt. Shasta City or McCloud over Weed but beggars can’t be choosers. If push comes to shove I can be pretty flexible and I have considered camping out for a bit if that’s what it takes to spend as many days as possible on that mountain.

@Lee Murian - I’ve been working as a resort security guard year round for the past 6 years, not much security, mostly lots of customer service based work, damage control after accidents, first responders in the village etc. We fill in for just about every department besides lift maintenance and patrol so I have handfuls of experience doing all kinds of things. That being said I’m fairly confident I can pick up anything quick enough and I’m pretty eager to try something new for the summer whether that be waiting tables, working on a farm, mowing lawns or whatever. I’ve considered trying to get my foot in the door with one of the guide services (dream job) I’d be entry level/tail guide status but I have some experience on Shasta with rope travel, glacier rescue and some ice cIimbing. I wouldn’t even mind carrying people’s packs if that gets me around more qualified climbers that I can learn from.

@Schralph - I considered the Ashland area for a quick second but I’d prefer to keep it in California for a handful of reasons. I’m planning on coming back to the area after I go to Peru if all goes well.

As for my car, I have a Subaru Impreza. Not ideal but I got to the Brewer Creek trailhead easy enough last May and I think if I was really careful I could make it to North Gate without doing too much damage. That road was pretty rough last year but the terrain you can access from that trailhead is what really has me dreaming about the move.

I hope those reasons don’t include a 30 min trip to the DMV (Oregon DMW is WAY easier and cheaper than CA) and an extra tax return form next March. Because there are just way more jobs north of siskiyou summit.
    Best of luck, I’ve got to figure jobs are hard to come by once you get north of Redding, but 6 years with a mega publicly traded resort company shows really good dependability and character which I’m sure is gold in these towns. If you can pull consecutive days off from your current job it might be good to visit the city In late March to make some connections and do some on the ground recon. Look up Stiles Larsson at Base Camp and pick his brain (he doesn’t know me personally I just know who he is). I’m sure Lee Murian is a gold mine of info as well. I hope you can build a decent cash cushion before your current gig is up. Good luck!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    That, and crystal worshipers ...
    The ones I've met are definitely convinced of the nefarious nature of chem trails too.