Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    We have snomo's so we skied I think about 30k of vert from 10k to the PL over and over again. Resort boots and no backpacks, it was too fun.
    Dang.....that sounds like some great fun!!!! Thanks for offer too.

I am targeting a full summit push.....it has been 10 years for me......call it my mid-life crisis.
    Donjoy to the World!

Shasta was unreal yesterday, like in excellent.
    What were the Temps? and Wind? Did it corn up or is it still soft? Man Id love to get up there this coming weekend but it looks like cold and windy= boilerplate

Judging by what I found Monday and what Rod found yesterday, looking at the weather, I think it's safe to say that today (or tomorrow) is the last day it will be soft in the upper elevations for quite some time. Monday was hot and breathless after noon even above 13k (there was a pretty good breeze that morning). Felt like June. With winds, then lower temps, and then unsettled weather coming in the near future, I'd say Shasta is gonna only be good on the lower slopes (if you can find any that aren't hammered with tracks...lower avy gulch was HAMMERED). I wish I was there today!

Lassen might be good?

6200 foot leg cramper to the car:

Last edited by BGnight; 02-18-2015 at 02:25 PM.

It wasn't corn yet, but good, soft hero snow.
    it was windy till about 12, not sure about temps on the mountain, but@4k it was close to 60.
    Anything that angled away from south was still frozen.

Thanks guys.

Had a good talk with a super knowledgable ranger from McCloud. We are watching the weather for Sunday (hoping winds die a bit by then), then targeting some lower level South side stuff (probably not summit). Hopefully we still get a window with a sunny day and lower winds. We will see.
    Donjoy to the World!

Roads opened to the Devastated area but, might be in little windy and cold this week.

We had a fun day up on Shasta yesterday. Beautiful. Deep base. Winter Conditions. Great Climbing. Horrible skiing.

Details
    --Yes winds were ripping up high (but not bad most of the climb)....probably the 85mph predicted.
    --It was sunny and gorgeous, albeit chilly. Most of climb wore 2 shirts, light hat, and mtn bike gloves (but when I stopped would throw on the puffy).
    --We got to 13,000, via the line climbers left of Red Banks cliffs (got in 6500 ft of vert)....climbing was great, totally sticky for skinning and great with crampons.
    --Snow was rock solid and a brutal chatterfest of a ski.

I was with 6 buddies from a decade back......none of us had gone that big in some years.....we all had our hall passes from wives and kids.......we had an epic adventure on a gorgeous mtn and all loved it!!!

Next time want both the summit and some corn though.
    Last edited by Huckwheat; 02-23-2015 at 06:57 PM.
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    We had a fun day up on Shasta yesterday. Beautiful. Deep base. Winter Conditions. Great Climbing. Horrible skiing.

Details
    --Yes winds were ripping up high (but not bad most of the climb)....probably the 85mph predicted.
    --It was sunny and gorgeous, albeit chilly. Most of climb wore 2 shirts, light hat, and mtn bike gloves (but when I stopped would throw on the puffy).
    --We got to 13,000, via the line climbers left of Red Banks cliffs (got in 6500 ft of vert)....climbing was great, totally sticky for skinning and great with crampons.
    --Snow was rock solid and a brutal chatterfest of a ski.

I was with 6 buddies from a decade back......none of us had gone that big in some years.....we all had our hall passes from wives and kids.......we had an epic adventure on a gorgeous mtn and all loved it!!!

Next time want both the summit and some corn though.
    It doesnt have to be fun to be good time! Sounds rad!!

Quick photo TR

Last edited by Huckwheat; 02-24-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    Donjoy to the World!

Huck, your photo(s) don't show for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kix515 View Post
    Roads opened to the Devastated area but, might be in little windy and cold this week.
    Pretty sweet that they apparently opened it on request:
    http://www.backcountrytalk.earnyourt...ll=1#post25807
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Sunday. Got a hair up my arse and left Reno at 2am. Grazed a mule deer buck going 65 to keep me awake. Left Bunny flat a little after 6:30am. Made it to Thumb Rock around 12:15.
    Surfs up!
    I have new appreciation for your post, and the mission you pulled off......that is a great day you had.
    Donjoy to the World!

Nevmind
    Last edited by gimpy; 02-25-2015 at 01:49 AM.

What is the current deal?

Those in the know about Shasta........any prediction on when weather will shift and there will be corn up there?
    Donjoy to the World!

The snow phone
    states that there is about 3 feet of snow at Bunny Flat with 6 feet at treeline.
    Snow is corning up to 11,000' +

It is your mission to head up there this weekend and bring back pictures

It's gonna be an awesome weekend on that mountain. Go get some and post photos for those of us "suffering" through our first season with young children.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    It's gonna be an awesome weekend on that mountain. Go get some and post photos for those of us "suffering" through our first season with young children.
    ^^^ don't worry. It only gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^ don't worry. It only gets worse.
    Dude, with twins? Doubtful. All I've heard is it's harder for the first 2-3 years, and then it's at times easier than one because they have a playmate the same age. Seriously, without both parents around, it's hard to take them anywhere.

And for that, here's another Shasta photo from six weeks ago as penance for the thread drift...

^^^That looks tasty.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Dude, with twins? Doubtful. All I've heard is it's harder for the first 2-3 years, and then it's at times easier than one because they have a playmate the same age. Seriously, without both parents around, it's hard to take them anywhere.
    First year or so is tough, then it gets easier. Then harder again during the window when you're still basically dragging them around to wherever you want to go ("here, get in the Chariot and take a long nap or something"), but they start to have opinions about that. Then easier.

Yeah, looks like Shasta is the place to go. Even Lassen's looking bleak on the NOAA interactive, though I assume the main slopes still have good lines.

I really love that mtn, its just beautiful

Wow west face is thinning out pretty quick.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

/\ That's what I was thinking. Not a good look for early March.

Well hopefully we get some refreshers and end up better than last year. Last Memorial Day there was no snow in Avy Gulch until almost 1000' above Horse Camp, and Hidden Valley was well done by then. I'd love to be able to ski Trinities into Fathers Day this year!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

True but brewer creek had plenty of snow, and you could drive to the trailhead.