Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1329
    ^^^^ was snow still in transition stage or has it cycled well?

I did some excellent social distancing the last couple of days: I had Hidden Valley and the west face all to myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E3277.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	937.0 KB 
ID:	331336

West face was a good time. Yesterday was cold on the hill, so dropping down the slope at 1PM wasn't too late. Upper third was wind-dried corn, rockin', middle third was fun mindless turns, and the lower third was kind of slop (but pretty good as slop goes). Weird, because there was fairly fresh cement of variable depths up to a foot on Misery Hill and across the field to the summit; glad all that stuff was blown away or something from the west face. Here's Shastina:

Name:	IMG_E3266.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	331339

The bad news is that there isn't much snow below Hidden Valley (9300'). From the notch south of Hidden, there was a lone snow slope that gave me a reasonably nice 800' ride down to 8600', though it was rocky around the half-way, and really, the whole thing isn't going to last much longer. Here's the bottom of that, and my last turns of the season:

Name:	IMG_E3280.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	331340
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3266.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	331337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3280.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	331338  
    Last edited by bobz; 06-11-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    ^^^^ was snow still in transition stage or has it cycled well?
    Below 10 k it had cycled pretty well. Upper elevations had some uncycled drifts that manked up midday.

Off topic, but don't really want to start a new thread unless someone here thinks this is too much thread drift.

We are headed up to Lassen in late July for three nights. My 9 yr old is a pretty strong hiker. He topped Nevada Falls from Yosemite Valley two summers ago. 8 miles and 1500' is a decent hike for him these days, but he can put in quite a few more of either with the right pay off. We are looking for fun hikes in the park. He is excited about volcanic activity and geology in general, so looking for good showcases while we are there.

Camping in Summit Lake South, so will likly hike the lakes loop from the camp on one day, just because we would not need to get in the car at all, which is cool.. Also looking at maybe a morning on Cinder Cone and afternoon in the Subway tube. Maybe on check out day driving south through the park. I've hiked Lassen for skiing purposes, and Bump Pass Hell. But I was wondering if there are likely less traveled areas of the park we should be looking to hike. We love thermal shit, wild flowers, alpine lakes, shear cliff and dramatic vistas. Any recommendations for hikes in Lassen during summer?

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Be polite to everyone you meet (good advice in general) and get ready for State of Jefferson don't tread on me, don't vaccinate me, don't school me, don't regulate me!!! That, and crystal worshipers ...

You might also look at the Ashland/Talent/Medford area. About 1:15 to 1:30h north of Shasta City, so not quite as close to all the various Shasta-T trailheads but still doable for day-trip skiing in May-July. And then you also have May skiing on McLoughlin/Brown 40 mins outside of town (I know it's not as good as Shasta but still scenic and fun!). And the MTB scene in Ashland/Talent is off the charts good if you have a bike, especially if you have 27+ tires. Probably some better prospects for seasonal construction/tourism work up there over Shasta, at least before fire season shuts everything down. Very big tourism scene in Ashland that helps with jobs (and lots of hippies, and lots of fall harvest trimmigrants). Lots of growing suburban and retirement developments outside of Medford as well, that helps with some service and construction related jobs.

Do you have a high clearance vehicle? High clearance and don't care about your paint job will open up various trailhead access options too ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Off topic, but don't really want to start a new thread unless someone here thinks this is too much thread drift.

We are headed up to Lassen in late July for three nights. My 9 yr old is a pretty strong hiker. He topped Nevada Falls from Yosemite Valley two summers ago. 8 miles and 1500' is a decent hike for him these days, but he can put in quite a few more of either with the right pay off. We are looking for fun hikes in the park. He is excited about volcanic activity and geology in general, so looking for good showcases while we are there.

Camping in Summit Lake South, so will likly hike the lakes loop from the camp on one day, just because we would not need to get in the car at all, which is cool.. Also looking at maybe a morning on Cinder Cone and afternoon in the Subway tube. Maybe on check out day driving south through the park. I've hiked Lassen for skiing purposes, and Bump Pass Hell. But I was wondering if there are likely less traveled areas of the park we should be looking to hike. We love thermal shit, wild flowers, alpine lakes, shear cliff and dramatic vistas. Any recommendations for hikes in Lassen during summer?
    Cinder Cone and the Subway Cave would be great options if he's into volcanic activity. Cinder Cone is one of my favorite spots in the park, looking over the Fantastic Lava Beds and Painted Dunes then turning 180 degrees and staring at Lassen Peak.

I just took my kid to Lassen. For skiing, I'd say skip it at this point, though there's probably a 1000' line to be had off the NE (some of it on a bit of a snow finger, though):

Name:	IMG_E3317.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	332474

Driving up, there looked to be a skiable stripe on the west side, too. The south line is discontinuous, but there's probably about 700' of slop to be had:

Name:	IMG_E3323.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	332475

Ottime:

Lots of good stuff to do. I'd like to do Cinder Cone, but it's kind of out of the way. Do the peak, of course. Maybe do a loop hike past Bumpass (Bump Ass; the poor guy, Bumpass, lost his legs there) to the soda lake. And there's a short hike to a scenic enough cascade from the SE entrance campground:

Name:	IMG_E3297.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	332476

For off the beaten track (somewhat), go out to Drakesbad, and hike south, past the worthwhile Boiling Springs Lake, to Terminal Geyser, which is more a standard hot spring than a geyser. Not legal to soak, but I, um, know somebody who soaked in it years ago. It's all good, great park, and if you don't get your campgrounds lined up entirely, there's plenty of dispersed camping options eastward from the north side of the park (and elsewhere).

One more, kid stoke from yesterday:

Name:	IMG_E3321.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	794.9 KB 
ID:	332477

Quick trip to Shasta on Friday, 6/26 from Brewer's Creek. Road ok for all cars, but glad to have the SUV clearance for two or three patches. About 10 or 12 cars at the trailhead on Thursday evening, and lots of skeeters. Hiked to about 8,900 ft, or the toe of the moraine before going to skins. Climber's right held more and cleaner snow for skinning at the bottom. Little sun-cupping, and very warm with no wind made for friendly skinning before I transitioned to crampons about 300 vt. ft. below the cross-over from the Hotlum to the Wintun. Hero corn from the summit to 10,200 on the Wintun where I crossed back over to the Hotlum over some moraine. The final 1.3 vt. ft., of snow was dirty, ridged and slow sliding on a remaining snow finger seen in the photo before transitioning back to hiking to the trailhead. Coming from sea-level Shasta always kicks my butt but never disappoints.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8352.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	333044  

Skied Lassen 6/21. Skinned with 4 carries (mostly short) from the car up the SE face. Chilled on the crater and checked out the butterfly swarms, tagged the summit. Skied about 2000' of snow down the W face with about 50' of walking to connect the crater rim patch to the lower snowfield. Walked and skinned from the bottom of the W face to the parking lot. I would agree it probably isn't worth it at this point unless you're determined.

From our observations, any COVID problems NE California is facing is due to the locals utter disregard of the disease, no masks indoors, open businesses, etc. A couple of dispersed campers visiting from Washington aren't the issue.

lassen is so cool. was there in feb. quiet out there..

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Skied Lassen 6/21. Skinned with 4 carries (mostly short) from the car up the SE face. Chilled on the crater and checked out the butterfly swarms, tagged the summit. Skied about 2000' of snow down the W face with about 50' of walking to connect the crater rim patch to the lower snowfield. Walked and skinned from the bottom of the W face to the parking lot. I would agree it probably isn't worth it at this point unless you're determined.

From our observations, any COVID problems NE California is facing is due to the locals utter disregard of the disease, no masks indoors, open businesses, etc. A couple of dispersed campers visiting from Washington aren't the issue.
    Ah, you were on the hill the day before we were, glad to hear west side still had the goods (because, as you know, S and NE weren't looking so great).

Yeah, I stepped inside the SW entrance cafe to see an employee prepping food while wearing a mask covering her mouth but not her nose. Solid work there. And a gas station in Red Bluff where the surprisingly busy mini-mart had not a mask in sight (other than me), customers or employees. The exposure potential once back outside is minimal though (aside from the two different idiots at the informal campground downhill from Bunny Flat over at Shasta who wanted to shake my hand almost immediately after starting to have a 2-minute chat with me).

Stupid JONG Shasta questions incoming (haven't been there before):

Looking at hiking/climbing the Clear Creek route last weekend of July. Am I correct in assuming it will mostly be snow free around then this year and axe/crampons won't be necessary? I've got the gear but my visiting friend won't. It sounds like it'll pretty much be a scramble up scree? Any other Beta about that route I should know that I wouldn't have already read on the interwebs?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Stupid JONG Shasta questions incoming (haven't been there before):

Looking at hiking/climbing the Clear Creek route last weekend of July. Am I correct in assuming it will mostly be snow free around then this year and axe/crampons won't be necessary? I've got the gear but my visiting friend won't. It sounds like it'll pretty much be a scramble up scree? Any other Beta about that route I should know that I wouldn't have already read on the interwebs?

Thanks!
    you should absolutely be prepared for snow and need for crampons and ice axe on clear creek route.

Gracie Law & I have the 4 day weekend to head out for fun, Lassen and Shasta are close. Dispersed camping as the temps look pretty good, anyone been out? Trails still riding (bikes:-)
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

my son stopped to ski it saturday on his way south. I didn't get a good report. Other than he did not go to the top and conditions were not good.
    off your knees Louie

it's never good up there
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

word - thanks, will shout if we find otherwise :-)
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

thanks for the report........been wondering

Been wondering too.

Went south, riding Kernville area, Gen’s headed to Shasta soon so will report!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Heard some tourists rode up Cannell Plunge.

Lassen / Shasta Conditions Anyone?

Yup, silly outa towner’s got a late start & had no shuttle prospects but had a blast, saw one rider over a four hour pedal. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607138059.904926.jpg 
Views:	795 
Size:	403.1 KB 
ID:	351213. Shasta pics show low tide!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607137973.851892.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	351212

Sent from my iPhone using TGR ForumsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6558.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	253.0 KB 
ID:	351214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607138154.573883.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	351215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607138168.031115.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	351216Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6544.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	375.9 KB 
ID:	351217

Skied the north face of Lassen yesterday. Road from Manzanita Lake is very icy but still bikeable if you're careful. Snow below treeline is nice and sugary; snow above treeline is a mix of very solid windboard and some pockets of softer windblown snow. There are a couple different couloir systems on the north side of the east ridge that are filled in, though all of them contain some amount of exposed rock and debris. We skied one of the more protected lines and found firm but smooth snow from about 10,100' to 8,500'. Below that was crazy wind-sculpted snow until hitting treeline. Skiing from the summit is not possible at this time.

I'd post pics, but I'm still in jong prison.

I have been released. Here are some photos:

Name:	IMG_20201207_103507336_HDR.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	351908
    End of the road

Name:	IMG_20201207_112134238_HDR.jpg 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	351909

Name:	IMG_20201207_114253436_HDR.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	351910
    Getting closer...The skiing almost looks good from here

Name:	IMG_20201207_130548594_HDR.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	351911

Name:	IMG_20201207_131655797_HDR.jpg 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	351912
    On the way up

Name:	IMG_20201207_132239752.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	351913
    Top of the line

Name:	IMG_20201207_142253749.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	978.5 KB 
ID:	351914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InkedIMG_20201207_142253749_LI.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	995.6 KB 
ID:	351915
    Bottom of the line

^^^thanx!!!! did you peak over the south side.....enough coverage for springish conditions?

Saw some tracks coming down from the top of the southeast face but couldn't tell if the line was still in. I'll probably be back up there sometime in the next couple weeks...north aspects of Reading Peak and Mount Helen both looked worthwhile