Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Anyone know the current coverage on Lassen? The state water site hasn't reported snow depth since late Feb., and the webcam looks bleak. Thanks.

Bump to the top hopeful for a reply to ^

I'll ask my friends that ski there a lot and get back to you. I want to go up there too.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Yeah I wish that PGE sensor telemetry was fixed, would make the call of where to go easier!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I'm told skiing is good corn but melting fast. Road should be open soon.

Thanks Mike. Park site says road open to Devastated Area but I'd imagine that if not already you'll soon be walking for a bit to hit snow line.

Does anyone know if the road is open to the Brewer Creek trailhead on Shasta?

Nope. Nobody nose.

The road is never closed. There is no gate.
    I haven't been there yet myself, but there was a pic up -
    Apparently Tucker was there:
    http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/vie...php?f=2&t=2661
    scroll down

It looks like it's doable
    http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

Someone needs to head up there and check it out.

Thinking about hitting up Shasta this weekend. Wondering if its going to be soft, or crust Hell I dont care...Im going anyway. But, still wondering

Hope to ski Shasta in early April, seems to be the only place south of Whistler with snow.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

for the love of everything report back what you find, texass

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he finds good snow.

I mean, it's not like that mountain has an avalanche forecast center devoted to it and a well-known guide service nearby with a somewhat-regularly updated blog...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yeah but where can I find information about Mt Shasta?

Lassen / Shasta Conditions Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Yeah but where can I find information about Mt Shasta?
    We could ask the Lemurians?

anyone have recent Lassen photos?

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Yes. But he's not sharing. Lassen folks tend to be a bit wary of outsiders.

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASS View Post
    Thinking about hitting up Shasta this weekend. Wondering if its going to be soft, or crust Hell I dont care...Im going anyway. But, still wondering
    Reports of 2+ feet at crater lake, so my guess is you'll find some goods. no crust yet, but temps are going to come up next few days.

I'm guessing the Sisters will also be in play this spring as well. That'd be nice to have somewhere besides Shasta to ski once April comes around! (barf)

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Jt is there now. Reportedly awesome wind pack yesterday but today will be a lil trickier as the new snow transitions. Pics he sent look $$$. Will prolly take a few days to turn over but should be good by next week if not sooner
    Supposedly 20-30 min walk to snow at devastated area at lassen

^ awesome beta! I was hoping that Lassen would get less snow than Shasta and transition sooner ... hopefully hot enough today and tomorrow to set up something nice on Saturday.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I was there yesterday. I wonder if JT was the lone sole I saw topping out Red Banks before anyone else got to Helen Lake. I would be hard pressed to call what I found "awesome wind pack". I turned around at roughly 11,600 due to lack of motivation caused by snow conditions and cramping legs (not my best day fitness wise). Snow was a mixed bag of crusts and wind effect with a rare few areas of decent windpack and powder. Nothing consistent. The lower gullies right above treeline were the funnest turns I found. I'd highly recommend waiting for it to transition to corn. I need to remind myself that trying to score pow on Shasta is a fools game unless we get a rare low wind storm (like some lingering low stalled out spinning back on it). Otherwise, the wind pretty much fucks it all up. The upper 1000 feet on trinities did look like it may have been consistent windpack (wonder if that's what JT found). Snow going up the gully to thumb rock (where I turned around) had a thick glazed crust over it that probably would have skied good with some solar radiation as it was soft underneath. My other two days on Shasta this year were much better.

Fwiw, I wished I had stayed in Reno and done other things to give you an idea of my take on conditions. Pow>corn>climbing>online poker>windpack...imo
    Last edited by BGnight; 03-26-2015 at 01:53 PM.

Fwiw, I wished I had stayed in Reno and done other things to give you an idea of my take on conditions. Pow>corn>climbing>online poker>windpack...imo
    Yeah, but you have higher standards than Me. You know how I LOVE noisy snow! Going up sat-tuesday. Im sure saturday will suck but I havent had any winter this year. Some snow and wind would be good

I'm sure you'll find some good turns. I'd hit up Brewer creek one of those days and just go up until it doesn't soften. There's gonna be far less tracks than Avy gulch. Shastina via Bunny flat could be good too since I think most your soft stuff will be below 12k and I'd guess something will soften. The good news is all the old tracks got refreshed but lower Avy gulch will be pretty tracked out by this weekend. I think whatever softens will actually be much better snow than what I rode yesterday.

anyone have any recent photos of mcloughlin or have any beta to share??? trying to ski a few volcanoes next week and looking for info on the southern oregon cinder cones...... also, interested in lassen and shasta