Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1326
    I'm hearing tragic reports of the snowpack on Shasta right now as well. Hopefully we'll get an April refresh so the CA volcano season isn't half over before it even starts.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Rangers were saying that the North and East side routes might show ice early on this year due to the wind scouring. Hoping that H/W will be spared that fate when i go in May.
    I might be heading up there M/Tu next week and i'll drive over and see if i can take some zoom in pics if i have time.
    Looks pretty dire on the SW, but i'm physically compelled to ski out of bunny at least once/year

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    ^^^^^ you’re not kidding......the west face looks horrendous with hardly any snow on the upper pitch (the best part)
    Brewer creek road was still 15 miles out last week reported by Shasta avy center..... but coverage looks decent on hot tuna
    Right, I saw that on shastaavalache's instagram page.
    Aggressive in my own mind

You guys might already know about this camera network. I stumbled onto it at the bottom of the lassenNP webcam page.

http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastam...AntelopeYreka1

http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastam...era=Axis-Weed2

http://www.alertwildfire.org/shastam...=Axis-ButtLake

be sure to play, pause and zoom

Quote Originally Posted by mr. hankey View Post
    I might be heading up there M/Tu next week and i'll drive over and see if i can take some zoom in pics if i have time.
    that would be amazing to actually see some detail shots if possible! thanks hankey

anyone skied lassen recently? Apparently the road is open to devastated area, so a jaunt up and down the NE face seems like it might be a decent outing. not sure i want to drive six hours to chase scraps on the eastside but not ready to hang up the boards just yet

chill, friends did it this weekend. said n side was windboard up high, but corn skiing from the apron down to the car at devastated area.

wobby, a couple from today. There were even better pics someone posted on FB they took from a plane. upper wintun has ice showing, as does Whitney, Hotlum, etc. And it's not just about coverage. look at the photo's, what is still snow is textured. micro dirt blown onto snow causing cups, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0033.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	371348

Name:	DSCN0041.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	371349

and a couple from Mcglaughlin from today. ski it tomorrow, but supposed to be windy, so we'll see...
    east side:

Name:	east mcglaughlin.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	897.6 KB 
ID:	371350
    south side:

Name:	south mcglaughlin.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	842.4 KB 
ID:	371351
    patchy snow at the trailhead

Thanks Mr. Hankey. I may give Lassen a go. In other news, here's a flyover shot of the east side of Shasta about an hour ago. This is depressing. We are nearly in full on talus slog season already before tax returns are even due. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shasta2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	663.1 KB 
ID:	371441

Ugh. Thanks for the beta on Shasta.

I’ve hit most Cascade peaks but not McGlaughlin. TR welcomed

‘E’s jest ‘elpen ya pruhn-Ounce it like a true Scote!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Ha! Lovelie!

Speaking of which:

https://www.fionaoutdoors.co.uk/2018...r-glencoe.html

Was looking at skiing Scotland today online, this 40-45 degree pitch is lift served and hikeable in summer, who knew??

Cheers to Lassen 2021, maybe see some of you up there.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. hankey View Post
    chill, friends did it this weekend. said n side was windboard up high, but corn skiing from the apron down to the car at devastated area.

wobby, a couple from today. There were even better pics someone posted on FB they took from a plane. upper wintun has ice showing, as does Whitney, Hotlum, etc. And it's not just about coverage. look at the photo's, what is still snow is textured. micro dirt blown onto snow causing cups, etc.

Name:	DSCN0033.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	371348

Name:	DSCN0041.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	371349

and a couple from Mcglaughlin from today. ski it tomorrow, but supposed to be windy, so we'll see...
    east side:

Name:	east mcglaughlin.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	897.6 KB 
ID:	371350
    south side:

Name:	south mcglaughlin.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	842.4 KB 
ID:	371351
    patchy snow at the trailhead
    Skied mclaughlin years ago end of may, the worst mosquitos I've ever seen.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    ‘E’s jest ‘elpen ya pruhn-Ounce it like a true Scote!
    LOL. Sorry, i'm horrible with names and didn't bother to check the right spelling

Yep, McLoughlin was awesome yesterday. Will post some pics later, but it's good and will probably be for a while.

Pics/conditions from McLoughlin (~2.5h north of Shasta) 4/13:
    Coverage is excellent: consistent snow down to ~5300ft. Below that the trail itself is mostly snow covered with some on/off to TH at 5000.
    SE face is overall great smooth corn. Good Tuesday ~12:30. Great skiing from 9500 to bottom of avy path ~6200. After that it is really just path finding back to the trail/car.

Details for those who might go:
    Route beta: Amar Andalkar’s site and map is excellent http://www.skimountaineer.com/Cascad...ame=McLoughlin
    Not sure if this is worth the longer drive on its own, but it might be as a duo (this + Lassen or this+ nearby attractions: Crater lk, Bailey, etc.)

S side access (parking lot off of 140) is plowed, and bathroom is open. Drive hwy140 and look for NF-3650. Sign will say “summit trailhead” or something like that. It’s a huuuuge lot, with one bathroom. Trail starts at the opposite side and is well traveled. Trail is mostly snow covered right from the start, but true, consistent snow starts ~5300 or so (as of yesterday).

E side access (4 mile lake) is not open yet. Nor are any forest service roads beyond nearby.

GPS is mandatory. You cannot see any features of the mtn until ~5800ft. Just forest in all direction, and it is ~flat for the first few miles so it all looks the same. The sun is the only natural guide, and it formed perfect rays of East-West light rays through the tree’s on the snow which saved me from having to keep looking at the GPS. If you started in the dark, you wouldn’t have that and you’d be looking at the GPS constantly after you leave the trail. (I started late due to the high wind forecast). The trail is nice, well-marked, but it takes you around the mountain to the E. Ridge, vs. direct to the summit from the car. I walked the trail for ~1mile until coverage was solid to skin freely towards the peak, kind of in between Amar’s “alternative route” and “return to trailhead” route. Once above tree line, Mt. Brown is ~towards the car. http://www.skimountaineer.com/Cascad...iRoutesMap.jpg

There’s no cell signal at the trailhead, and nothing for 30-40 miles away (food/gas, etc.). So hit up “Methford” or “Klammeth” falls (as my co-worker from there calls it) for supplies/food/gas/meth beforehand Be prepared for the twilight zone experience when you go to the gas pump still

This mountain should be good to go for a while. Even if the S side melts out more, you could just walk on the trail a little bit further. And the E side looked good, with 4mile lake still frozen/snow covered. I like the S side better. The E side is like Lassen’s N face – great steeper skiing that is short, followed by longer flat stuff. The SE face is more like the Wintun- not super steep (high 20 to low 30 degrees), but it’s consistent fun skiing for longer. And the mosquito’s at 4 mile lake later in the year are heinous.

N side had Rime (ice chicken heads) on the top 400ft or so. Dry snow below the top 2-3 inches.
    Pics:

'Da Bears!

Name:	20210413_082050 (2).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	371627

Name:	20210413_093239.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	371628

looking south towards Mt brown (direction of car) and Shasta further south:

Name:	20210413_112849.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	371629

~8kft: smooth:

Name:	20210413_101247 (2).jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	913.9 KB 
ID:	371630

Higher:

Name:	20210413_114456 (2).jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	635.1 KB 
ID:	371631

Final ~500ft had some texture, but didn't notice it when skiing:

Name:	20210413_111030.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	371632

Looking at the East side route. 4mile lake still frozen/not accessable. The pano makes it look less steep. It's actually high 30's or low 40's for a bit:

Name:	20210413_114244 (2).jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	946.3 KB 
ID:	371633

Looking north - had these rime ice-chicken heads going on for the top 500ft. under the rime it was still dry wintery snow:

Name:	20210413_115017 (2).jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	371634

Looking SW:

Name:	20210413_115810 (3).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	928.2 KB 
ID:	371635
    Last edited by mr. hankey; 04-15-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Thx for the excellent beta. I’ve often thought about hitting it on the way to Bend on family visits, but usually stop by crater lake instead.

Another note about route finding on that mountain ... for multi sport enthusiasts like me ... leave the split at home if you don’t have heel lockers, if you have the option to ski instead ... that meandering approach makes for an annoying wandering exit through variable depth mank and dirt patches this time of year, especially if your goal is to reconnect with the PCT or summer trail!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Right on abe+++++...... thanx for sharing

Nice report mr. hankey! Been there many times. The route finding is comical. Never used a GPS there, just followed my compass up to the 'ridge' from the TH. Only got lost once.
    More importantly - bring bear spray!
    Between McLoughlin and it's neighboring peak Pelican Butte, I've never seen/heard so many bears. On Pelican Butte, I could hear them crashing through the brush on the way down. And one time on McLoughlin, while bushwhacking through the woods in the dark, before dawn, I walked right into a sloth of sleeping bears. Loud, raspy, rhythmic breathing from multiple directions from enormous lungs.
    Only me and my feeble headlamp, in the dark woods.
    After a few terrifying moments of panic, I figured if I could loudly break branches while bushwhacking through all the fallen debris and not wake them up, then I could walk right out of there.
    So, I just kept going.
    I was so relieved when the sun came up and I was higher on the mountain! On the way down, made sure to make a lot of noise, like singing and yelling and could hear all the bears scampering away through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    More importantly - bring bear spray!
    Between McLoughlin and it's neighboring peak Pelican Butte, I've never seen/heard so many bears. On Pelican Butte, I could hear them crashing through the brush on the way down. And one time on McLoughlin, while bushwhacking through the woods in the dark, before dawn, I walked right into a sloth of sleeping bears. Loud, raspy, rhythmic breathing from multiple directions from enormous lungs.
    Only me and my feeble headlamp, in the dark woods.
    After a few terrifying moments of panic, I figured if I could loudly break branches while bushwhacking through all the fallen debris and not wake them up, then I could walk right out of there.
    So, I just kept going.
    I was so relieved when the sun came up and I was higher on the mountain! On the way down, made sure to make a lot of noise, like singing and yelling and could hear all the bears scampering away through the woods.
    Scary stuff man. I don't mind being alone in the wilderness much, but seeing those tracks freaked me out. Didn't have bear spray, but my natural body odor would hopefully suffice as a repellent (my wife calls the odor when i'm back from a trip "sex panther" )

Schralph's advice is spot on, the lower part in the trees would suck on a board.

Glad McLoughlin is looking better than Shasta!
    Heard Amar was down that way recently getting his fix....

Lassen looked good from the top of Eureka yesterday...

I am only checking in here because Shasta is still on the hit list. Just need to find a partner willing to put up with my slow skinning.

Did Lassen once with Schralph, but that was ages ago.

Crater Lake is still on the hit list.

Mondo danke gracias for all the pix and detailed beta. Makes for solid skieurism.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Just back from a nice road trip with two of my sons and friends. We skied Lassen from the Devastated Area last Tuesday with Pierre two days after his EIGHTY SECOND BIRTHDAY! He’s an animal! Plenty of snow still.
    Thursday we skied McLoughlin from the trailhead. About 30 minutes on dirt before skinning on dirty snow. Again, soft snow but the ski down was mostly great!

]

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndaddy View Post
    Just back from a nice road trip with two of my sons and friends. We skied Lassen from the Devastated Area last Tuesday with Pierre two days after his EIGHTY SECOND BIRTHDAY! He’s an animal! Plenty of snow still.
    Thursday we skied McLoughlin from the trailhead. About 30 minutes on dirt before skinning on dirty snow. Again, soft snow but the ski down was mostly great!

]
    Nice! Did you approach McLoughlin from the Northern trailhead up the bowl or the East side up the ridge?
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

I haven’t seen any recent Shasta info. Any chance the snow a few weeks ago covered up the penitentes?

I’m sure coverage and rockfall still suck, but I’d ski the south side if the upper mountain snow was remotely smooth.

The Shasta Avy center posted up photos of the conditions in Avy Gulch, pretty abysmal.

Almost makes you want them to plow the road to Brewer

This was from the weekend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COo8mVlLzcU/

They said a yoga-sized ball rock came tumbling down to Lake Helen area (2.5 ft in diameter).
    Aggressive in my own mind