Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1326
    bummer. opening trails, golf courses, tennis courts and pools down south

The order only states a week long closure, so hopefully we regain access in May before the snowpack suffers too much.

The covid is thick above 10,000ft. Its science.

Quote Originally Posted by brannen View Post
    bummer. opening trails, golf courses, tennis courts and pools down south
    Cinders was just saying Baldy is reopening. That's like LA's local hill isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Cinders was just saying Baldy is reopening. That's like LA's local hill isn't it?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Yes, sort of. It is in the San Gabriel Mountains east of Los Angales.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

they are only closing the top 4k to keep the lines pristine during these warm no freeze ski trenching conditions. they will open it back up next time we get in a solid melt freeze cycle

I just talked to the Ranger, He expects it to go till May 15th. All of a sudden skiing from Helen sounds like a fucking blast lol.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Looks like they’re lifting the Shasta closure order on Saturday. They’re reporting 1/4 mile of dirt from Bunny Flat. No update on Lassen, but they reported 66% of normal snowpack at the beginning of April and finished the initial clearing of the road on April 30, neither of which are indicative of an all-time season.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeMeUp View Post
    Looks like they’re lifting the Shasta closure order on Saturday. They’re reporting 1/4 mile of dirt from Bunny Flat. No update on Lassen, but they reported 66% of normal snowpack at the beginning of April and finished the initial clearing of the road on April 30, neither of which are indicative of an all-time season.
    Lassen NP is still completely closed per their website.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeMeUp View Post
    I was up on Sat and despite the warm temps, the mountain is in pretty good shape. I did Helen and then rode the Entertainer from lower sand. The chutes look amazing.

The Ranger told me that they are trying to keep it, locals-only. I was glad to hear that nothing has changed

Lassen just announced increased access starting 3/29.

https://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

^ He meant 5/29, of course. It isn't clear, but given that there's an actual trail to the summit, I assume the open slopes will be open as well.

Of course, if one is following the state order, y’all won’t be traveling, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    ^ He meant 5/29, of course. It isn't clear, but given that there's an actual trail to the summit, I assume the open slopes will be open as well.
    Doh! Yeah, 5/29. Says all hiking is open except Bumpass Hell.

Weather looks pretty unsettled for this weekend into early next week, though.

Seems pretty vague as to weather there is still a travel ban. I would properly social distance myself in my van, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Of course, if one is following the state order, y’all won’t be traveling, right?

Yes sir I don't , won't and can't travel more than 5 miles to recreate. Thank you for your concern. You should really ask this question in every thread. You are saving lives, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Yes sir I don't , won't and can't travel more than 5 miles to recreate. Thank you for your concern. You should really ask this question in every thread. You are saving lives, thank you.
    I’m just pointing out the current state law. Up to $1k fine, 6 months in prison. I haven’t heard about it being enforced yet.

Maybe the order will change before the 29th.

Thanks for taking the bait :P

Lassen / Shasta Conditions Anyone?

The current travel “ban” is mentioned here: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...205-7-2020.pdf

And currently, the county is walking backs its reopening. https://www.lassennews.com/linkout/13508

Your link goes to an ad, for me anyway (so, I guess, Lassen News ad dept rents out their 404 redirects?)

nps.gov/lavo is still saying increased access on 5/29. Federal land, so I'm not sure that the county has much to do with it.

As for the stay-at-home, I'm doubting that anything changes June 1. Maybe, if we're lucky, mid-June. Not because a few dozen skiers playing on Lassen is a big deal (good clean fun, as far as I'm concerned), but because when the state opens up recreational travel, more conventional destinations will be swarmed by more conventional actual crowds.
    Last edited by bobz; 05-27-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I’m just pointing out the current state law. Up to $1k fine, 6 months in prison. I haven’t heard about it being enforced yet.

Maybe the order will change before the 29th.

Thanks for taking the bait :P
    Fair enough. I think if people are being ultra-safe and use good common sense, traveling is not a huge risk. I have a small RV and when I hit the road I am fully self-contained. As tempting as it is, we don't stop for burgers, go inside the gas station, nothing.

The Shasta parking lot was at least half Oregon plates so I think it's not being enforced. The unfortunate reality is that laws are made because people can not self regulate. I'm the guy that picks up everyone's litter in the parking lot. I have huge respect for society and I go out of my way to ensure I put no one at risk.

Sorry for the bad link to the Lassen press. Can be found on google. That article from yesterday is titled: “Korver ‘retracts’ re-opening advance for seven days due to ‘serious problem’ and ‘dire need to contain the spread of the virus’”

I’m on the same page that travel could be done to ski destinations like Lassen with minimal/zero effects to the county. But, currently, this is important and useful information for others to know and understand. And are all spring bc skiers exercising that level of care?

^^ Ironically, my own post had a bad link (just corrected to .gov).

The article, about Lassen County considering allowing businesses to reopen, is only marginally relevant to skiing at Lassen NP. I've gone to Lassen probably dozens of time, and I can't recall ever patronizing a local business outside the park (though it's possible that I bought a bag of chips or something in Mineral at some point). If NPS wants to allow access to its trails and slopes (and the latest info is that they are, starting Friday), there's not much Lassen County can do about it, other than being aggressive about enforcing the state order for people driving and/or dispersed camping within the county outside the park; there's no suggestion in the article that they'd care to bother with that.

Edit: And furthermore, Lassen NP isn't even in Lassen County.

Re the larger question about whether we should, just because we can, I'm currently undecided about my personal plans, but I'm of the view that skiers and mountaineers, on and off the hill, are somewhere between zero and insignificant as a virus spreading problem; I'd say the biggest risk is people not of the same household sharing a car together to and from. As I said, recreational travel being shut down isn't about hiking or skiing, it's about people descending en masse to places like Tahoe.

But yes, strictly speaking, recreational travel isn't allowed yet.
    Last edited by bobz; 05-28-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Re: Oregon plates at Lemuria,
    We Oregonians are allowed to recreate.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Gorgeous day on Shasta. Zero winds, high temps, optimal time to drop into Hotlum Wintun was probably 9:45am.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4284.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	329938

Also, when it comes to impact on the local community, those climbers on Hood who triggered and got caught in an avalanche last week sure as shit impacted the local community!

Don’t be those people and you aren’t an asshole skier. Especially if it’s overnight lows into the 40s with rain on snow! Enjoy. The weekend forecast up here in the Oregon Cascades is much shittier than Shlassen.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Snowpack has receded a lot, skins on around 8,100 ft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3FBED3BE-A4E5-4714-887D-F95F89B492F8.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	518.8 KB 
ID:	331297
    Last edited by frorider; 06-11-2020 at 08:47 AM.