Page 32 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the post Jim and am sorry to hear your mom finally passed, cool you have a special place to visit her, did the same with some of my wife’s ashes.

We should ride bikes again soon!

lassen looking nice with snow to the road. sorry for the big picture this never works right

Last edited by emcee; 06-23-2018 at 09:52 PM.

^ when was that pic taken emcee?
    It looked a lot worse than that on Wednesday afternoon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8579.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	726.4 KB 
ID:	239657

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

my pic was from last Monday, 6/18 on my way up to Canada. Can that meltoff even happen in 48hrs??

Well, according to the evidence ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Oh shit j dub! Hopefully no butt checks down trinity chutes.

Lassen got 2-3 inches of fresh last week. That could explain it.

Anyone been up to either peak in the last week or so? I'm looking to eke out some last turns for the season. Any beta would be much appreciated.

Lassen / Shasta Conditions Anyone?

I hit Wintun Hotlum from Brewer Creek last Wednesday. The top 3,000 ft was still really good. Around 2,000 ft of sun cups makes for an exciting ending but well worth it in my opinion. Snow started right around 9,000ft, about 1.5 hours from the trailhead, although boot packing proved faster for the majority of the climb. If you get a good freeze overnight ski crampons are a huge help.

Quote Originally Posted by CelebratedSkier View Post
    I hit Wintun Hotlum from Brewer Creek last Wednesday. The top 3,000 ft was still really good. Around 2,000 ft of sun cups makes for an exciting ending but well worth it in my opinion. Snow started right around 9,000ft, about 1.5 hours from the trailhead, although boot packing proved faster for the majority of the climb. If you get a good freeze overnight ski crampons are a huge help.
    Thanks for the beta!

So went up to Shasta last week to just hike up and find the snow line on the west side. As of last weekend the skiable PATCHES start around 11k on a west aspect. Does Lake Helen count as a glacier? It was still holding a lot of ice as well. No idea on how the north side is holding. But heading up there again this weekend to hike to the summit since the bottom section goes so fast without the snow there.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    So went up to Shasta last week to just hike up and find the snow line on the west side. As of last weekend the skiable PATCHES start around 11k on a west aspect. Does Lake Helen count as a glacier? It was still holding a lot of ice as well. No idea on how the north side is holding. But heading up there again this weekend to hike to the summit since the bottom section goes so fast without the snow there.
    How’d it go?

Found out that my partner and I were not fit enough to do a one day ascent of Avy Gulch without acclimating (from sea level) on 5hrs of sleep.

We did get up to the top of Misery Hill. You would of had a hard time (or at least really slow) linking leeward patches of wind deposits on skis since the windward side had plenty of random rocks sticking out.

Got nailed in the head from a rock or ice while climbing to the right of the Heart (but had a helmet). Can't imagine what that is like when it's peak season

Red Banks chutes were in good condition to climb, even a few sections of solid ice. Coming back down them it would have been nice to glissade it, since the snow had really warmed up. But the ice sections and the last steep section into the chute had us keep crampons on. So it was a mixture of backwards alpine crawling and butt scooting down.

We both got some altitude sickness (tiredness, slight nausea, and headache), because of not bringing enough water + the lack of acclimatization. There was running water at 11,100 ft coming off that last "lake" before the heart. That was a godsend on the descent.

Also I got a gnarly sun burn on my face...

Glaciers looked pretty tho The skiable patches aren't there anymore at 11k. You'd have to go to the WRODs left and right of the Heart or the face lookers left of the heart. Again, didn't go to the North side so I'm not useful for that :/

Sounds like quite a wild adventure, I came across a gal who took a softball sized chunk of ice off the dome when I was up there in May. Might be heading up that way in a few days just to get out of Tahoe for a bit.

Anyone thinking about hitting it this weekend? I'm torn between doing some WROD skiing and boot research in Tahoe and going up to Shasta.

Beautiful couple of days in Lassen. Snowpack is very healthy although the wind has taken it's toll. An ice crust on top of sugar snow... Survival skiing at it's finest!Name:  IMG-20190102-WA0009.jpeg
Views: 740
Size:  83.5 KBName:  IMG-20190102-WA0004.jpeg
Views: 737
Size:  96.7 KBName:  IMG-20190102-WA0001.jpeg
Views: 730
Size:  93.3 KB

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

^^^Nice tour
    Does anyone know about lot plowing and open bathrooms at Lassen with the shutdown? I know the visitors center is closed.

Also this weather and avi forecast for Shasta

https://www.shastaavalanche.org/advi...-advisory#null

They plowed Sunday twice, but didn’t Monday and today. Not sure what’s up with the next storm.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamas View Post
    ^^^Nice tour
    Does anyone know about lot plowing and open bathrooms at Lassen with the shutdown? I know the visitors center is closed.

Also this weather and avi forecast for Shasta

https://www.shastaavalanche.org/advi...-advisory#null
    When I was there over New Years the lot had been plowed (no fresh snow where we were there, though) and they were opening the front doors to allow people to use the bathrooms just inside the entrance. Doors into the visitor's center remained locked.

It's a good thing they had those bathrooms open, otherwise the sledding area beyond the visitor's center would have turned into an excrement slip-and-slide. There were so many damn kids sledding up there

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Thanks Spaulding,
    I figured they would keep the entrance bathrooms open but didn't want to get up there to overnight with closed bathrooms or unplowed road and lot. looks like they got a ton of snow.

A couple of weeks ago I ran into some old dude living in his van at or near Panther meadows (2 miles from the BF parking lot). His van was almost completely covered in snow and he had some small solar set up. I talked to him to see if he was OK and he was pretty nonchlant about his situation.

me: Are you OK?

Him: It seems so:

Me: Can i help? Do you need anything?

Him: Im good, Do you come here often?

Me: eh, sometimes

Him: Check on me in about a month.

Ive been thinking alot about the interaction. If anyone on this board is sledding in that area try to find him if you can. In hindsight I sorta think it was suicidal or possibly mental illness. weird shit.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Anyone know how often Cal trans is plowing the lot at Lassen during the shutdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I ran into some old dude living in his van at or near Panther meadows (2 miles from the BF parking lot). His van was almost completely covered in snow and he had some small solar set up. I talked to him to see if he was OK and he was pretty nonchlant about his situation.

me: Are you OK?

Him: It seems so:

Me: Can i help? Do you need anything?

Him: Im good, Do you come here often?

Me: eh, sometimes

Him: Check on me in about a month.

Ive been thinking alot about the interaction. If anyone on this board is sledding in that area try to find him if you can. In hindsight I sorta think it was suicidal or possibly mental illness. weird shit.
    I talked to the rangers today and they know about this dude. What a trip

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy row View Post
    Anyone know how often Cal trans is plowing the lot at Lassen during the shutdown?
    Last I checked Caltrans is State

Smart ass. The lot at paradise for example was not being plowed during the shutdown, seems like a reasonable question to ask if you're putting a trip together. Last I checked....

CalTrans doesn’t plow the lot. The NPS does dumbshit
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.