Free Camping in Moab?

I'm taking WFR in Moab for 10 days and I'm looking for a free place to crash. Cheapest hotel I can find is ~$60/room, cheapest camping I can find is $10 a night through BLM, and that's a bit more than 20 miles from the place the class is held.

So, Does anyone have some intel on free camping, close to downtown Moab?

What about the hostel? I've never stayed there, but it's cheap.
    http://www.lazylizardhostel.com/index.php
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

99% of all the public land surrounding Moab is free to camp on. I take it you've never been?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    99% of all the public land surrounding Moab is free to camp on. I take it you've never been?
    Yeah, we always camped for free at the Slickrock Trail Head.

Edit: it seems they're charging $10/car/night there now with up to 5 people/car.

It'll be a bit tricky to find something that's both legit and free right in town. If you don't mind being a bit outside of town, there are shitloads of random places to pitch a tent. Somewhere out on Kane Creek or Potash / 279 (past the salt plant) is where I usually go.

Hugh Conway Guest
    driving roads late at night beware the suicidal hares

Look at Kane Creek Road. You can bike from your campsite into town in about 10 minutes.

Kane Creek Road after it leaves the river.

Pritchett arch area is nice with great views of the La Sals. It an be windy in the spring, however.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

before all you damn mountain bikers came along it was free camping all the way up the Colorado from the juction with the spring coming out of the wall, spending weeks with the truck backed into the tami's by Big Bend was chill and smoke-filled.

errrr, i mean i'm sure there's still something around there if yer creative...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    before all you damn mountain bikers came along it was free camping all the way up the Colorado from the juction with the spring coming out of the wall, spending weeks with the truck backed into the tami's by Big Bend was chill and smoke-filled.

errrr, i mean i'm sure there's still something around there if yer creative...
    '

Chru man!

I've only been going to Moab since about 2002, but since then, a TON of stuff has changed! Most of the free camping is gone, and a lot of the camping very near to town is completely gone and blocked off. I think the change has been mostly good, except that I would like to see more free, dispersed, camping in the area. They have really made it a pain.

Before all the damn Mt. Bikers showed up, Moab was just an achingly beautiful shithole.

Boomtown...Just another Boomtown....

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    '

Chru man!

I've only been going to Moab since about 2002, but since then, a TON of stuff has changed! Most of the free camping is gone, and a lot of the camping very near to town is completely gone and blocked off. I think the change has been mostly good, except that I would like to see more free, dispersed, camping in the area. They have really made it a pain.
    Before the Sand Flats fee structure (and even still) there was basically a full time crew that had to go out every monday and pick up bags after bags of shit-stained toilet paper, bury mountains of human shit, vomit, trash, and burned couches and other detritus. It was truly outta hand. I worked in town in the ealry 90's, and it wasn't all bubblegum and lolipops...

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Before the Sand Flats fee structure (and even still) there was basically a full time crew that had to go out every monday and pick up bags after bags of shit-stained toilet paper, bury mountains of human shit, vomit, trash, and burned couches and other detritus. It was truly outta hand. I worked in town in the ealry 90's, and it wasn't all bubblegum and lolipops...
    errrr, that was like sorta after the mountain bikes showed up...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    driving roads late at night beware the suicidal hares
    QFT. Google hell roaring canyon, most of the southish side is BLM and free but there are no facilities.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    I'm taking WFR in Moab for 10 days and I'm looking for a free place to crash. Cheapest hotel I can find is ~$60/room, cheapest camping I can find is $10 a night through BLM, and that's a bit more than 20 miles from the place the class is held.

So, Does anyone have some intel on free camping, close to downtown Moab?
    I would just see if anyone in your WFR has a campsite they can share. Most sites around Moab are big enough for at least a couple of tents.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    errrr, that was like sorta after the mountain bikes showed up...
    well, it was also after the explosion of ski areas, the 'New West', and SLC/Denver turning into real cities. In other words, population explosion of the intermountain west. Oh, and that damn rabble rouser Hayduke and his Ilk!

I blame Texas.

You'll want to stake a claim early during the week this time of year. The popular (close) spots are often full by Thursday for the weekend.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I was just there (http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-Break-in-Moab) and did this:

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    You'll want to stake a claim early during the week this time of year. The popular (close) spots are often full by Thursday for the weekend.
    and this:

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Yeah, we always camped for free at the Slickrock Trail Head.

Edit: it seems they're charging $10/car/night there now with up to 5 people/car.
    with great results. Both the Sand Flats/Slickrock and the Kane Creek areas are just a few miles out of town, though the Kane Creek ride is much flatter if you're going to be riding back and forth a lot.

Grab a few others and camp it. The shitter, table, and firepit are worth the couple bucks a day. Shower at the RV campground in town for another few bucks and you've got cheap, comfortable living.

Appreciate the beta, folks.

I'll bet getting into town late Tuesday afternoon, depending on the hangover.

I already planned on checking in with people from class and seeing where they're staying, but figured this would be a good place to start. Sounds like Kane Creek may be the place.

whats free??

i wana learn

i wana learn.......... pls Help

Not as cool as Kane Creek, but was free and a bit closer to town last year. Tons of fire rings/spots to camp in this area

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//38....e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

Really need to check this info