Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

16 yr old and car insurance

My stepdaughter turns 16 this summer and will be getting a cheap car. My wife and I along with her dad are going to get her a cheap car, but am wondering what is the best approach to getting her car insurance. Her Dad lives in another city. What have you guys done to get car insurance for a 16 yr old female with already one accident on her record?
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

uuugh, vibes. Our kids were on the family policy forever, as that was the only way to keep the cost down.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Some insurance companies give a discount for taking driving lessons
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Whatever happened to kids buying their own wheels, and insurance, and gas???
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I think that's more of a family-by-family basis. My dad's parent's bought his car and paid for university, as did mine, as will I later on.

People called me spoiled in HS for having a car (albeit a POS), w/e, my dad made his own money and I'll make mine. A little kick start doesn't hurt.

A little kick in the ass to wake a teenager up to the fact life isn't free doesn't hurt either. You are in the minority of learning early when handed shit.

16 with an accident? Very expensive. Cheapest option will be to put her on your policy but if she screws up, you'll pay even more. Might want to look into an umbrella policy as well.

As was said earlier driving school can get you a discount, same as good grades. Depends on the insurer.
    The Sheriff is near!

I put my daughter on mine. The car will be in your or your wife's name, right? For me, it was cheaper to put her on mine and add her as driver.

My parents didn't pay shit either. I paid for my own school and car. Sucked. I had no college experience whatsoever. My kids will work some, but not like I did.

I seem to recall you have a military background, Pogue. Do you have USAA? Put her on your USAA plan now and she can stay on for life. Can't beat them for rates.

I did real well with the gecko.

let her dad put her on his plan, stay away from teenage girl problems!
    bF

16 year old is a minor and cant get their own policy. Best thing to do is get them a cheap car that you dont need to run full coverage on. Make sure your liability limits are really high because anything she does can come back on you. Wages garnished, money, cars, toys, kiss it good bye if you have shitty liability and she really hurts someone....

Best insurance: Make her pay for the car and it's coverage.

That'll make her pay a little more attention when she's driving, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Unchecked capitalism and a global economy. But that's for Polyass. I gave my kid a car for senior year but he had to supply an engine. We put our kids on the family plan. I will say that my State Farm agent was the best. I did not say cheapest but it paid off in the long run.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

when ever I see new parents with a toddler or newborn I say " wow he's cute y' know that in 16 yrs he will wreck your car eh?"

Junior learned to drive on my car rear ended somebody which drove up my insirance and became a badass pretty quick after hitting the local redneck peer group so he had to get his own wheels
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

With spoiled teens, smartphones, and cars, I'm amazed people still ride bicycles on the side of the road. A good percentage of drivers don't pay much attention to what they're about to plow into.

I have certainly seen that. One 17 yo girl managed to hit four cars and a bicyclist on the other shoulder. The only reason none of the cars were head on is they saw her coming and swerved so they were all glancing blows. The bicyclist unfortunately got the full brunt of her car. Two weeks later a high schooler ran over a toddler in an intersection.

16ers shouldn't drive.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Make the cunt pay for it herself.

And have her join TGR in 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

A little kick in the ass to wake a teenager up to the fact life isn't free doesn't hurt either. You are in the minority of learning early when handed shit.
    So in my short post, your such a genius that you came up with the idea that my stepdaughter doesn't know the value of work just because we are paying for it?

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Make the cunt pay for it herself.

And have her join TGR in 2 years.
    It is really easy finding the cowards around here. Do you feel good about yourself that you took the time to post these words about a 15 yr old girl? How do you justify to yourself putting this out here especially knowing that you would never have the courage to say something like this to someone in person? You disgust me.

This place has really gone downhill over the years and it is absolute morons like yourself that have contributed to it.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I put my daughter on mine. The car will be in your or your wife's name, right? For me, it was cheaper to put her on mine and add her as driver.
    This. Do NOT put the car in the kid's name.

Damn you're jealous dude, i've read so many statements from you along the same line. If you raise your kids right, things like this can really help them get ahead quicker in life. If you didn't, then yeah I see your point- but the blanket statements are stupid.

State Farm's family plan was great to my family as well, we've always had awesome customer service related to any claims made. If your kid gets good grades there's a decent discount available for that as well. I just bumped off the family plan, and Statefarm's rate was actually the cheapest quote I got, so I stuck with em.

edit to second Tipp's statement above^^

You can shop for autos with insurance costs in mind- talk to agent about vehicles that have a better safety record and standard equipment like anti-lock brakes, automatic seat belts(and therefore better insurance rates). Also since she has had one wreck more driving lessons as mentioned.

The other thing would be a serious talk with her about a signed teenage driving contract- no talking on a cell phone, no texting, no food or drink, limit as to how many friends (1? or 2 max) can be with her, hours and maybe even miles she can drive, etc. If she does not want to agree with that, then she could go get her own insurance (good luck with that of course since one accident and her age would make that probably next to impossible.)

Set down what you are willing to pay for, if there is any reason her insurance goes up (accident or ticket or something on her record) then the rules get stricter and she pays any rate increase.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    . If you raise your kids right, things like this can really help them get ahead quicker in life. If you didn't, then yeah I see your point- but the blanket statements are stupid.
    where were my kids going in such a hurry, I found when I threw them off the dock so to speak they learned to swim and actualy they are further ahead in life than a lot of kids their age

farmer as a fellow canadian I find you embarassing but its a good thing you want to be american so badly... stay there man
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    Damn you're jealous dude, i've read so many statements from you along the same line. If you raise your kids right, things like this can really help them get ahead quicker in life. If you didn't, then yeah I see your point- but the blanket statements are stupid.

State Farm's family plan was great to my family as well, we've always had awesome customer service related to any claims made. If your kid gets good grades there's a decent discount available for that as well. I just bumped off the family plan, and Statefarm's rate was actually the cheapest quote I got, so I stuck with em.

edit to second Tipp's statement above^^
    Think what you want, but being younger I have seen first hand what coddling kids does. Maybe I'm an asshole (well not maybe) but seeing a generation of kids growing up thinking it's mommy and daddy's job to get them through their early 20's does more harm than good for the majority. I already said, some are the exception to the rule... But the fact remains.

I get it, if I was in the position and I had the means I may speak a different tune. But it doesn't hurt to look outside the box and see things aren't always what they seem.

EDIT... And State Farm are good peeps. They are one of our clients and they really spend a ton of cash to better understand their customer and reach th better. They are one of those companies that in my eyes aren't just in it for the money, they do seem to care about their customers.
    Last edited by systemoverblow'd; 03-26-2013 at 09:10 PM.

Gotta offer this as both my kids said later that it helped. I had them calculate the time it took to get to HS at the speed limit and also at 10 mph over. In their case, 100 seconds. Less than a stop light. I ended up batting .500. My girl rear ended someone, totaling the 6 y o car. SFI gave me 20% more than dealers had offered as a trade prior the the crash. Rates didn't go up.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.