Page 1713 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 1713 1714 1715 1716 1717 1718 ... LastLast
Results 42,801 to 42,825 of 46195
    I'm only a septagenarian but off the top of my bald head I can think of 6 socially-preferred words for Black people (I believe that's the current preferred term, at least among educated White people), not counting the unacceptable ones, that have gone in and out of fashion in my lifetime.. I've learned that any polite term can become a slur because using the polite term doesn't change how people feel about other people. ( "Retarded" was once a scientifically- accepted term for a certain degree of mental disability. ) I've also learned that politically correct speech can be a cover up for allowing sytemic racism and other prejudices to persist. Example--I know a lot of politically correct people who oppose California's laws banning R1 zoning--single family detached houses--zoning that originated in Berkeley CA in the early 20thC as a way to keep housing in desirable neighborhoods too expensive for Black people to buy.

I try to keep up. I don't say "colored people" except as an abbreviation--NAACP. I do say "people of color". Maybe someday I'll understand the difference. But circumstances for the majority of Black people haven't changed a whole lot through all those changes in acceptable speech and they probably won't change a whole lot through the next 6 identifiers. Unless a lot more changes besides the words.

"The Color of Law" is an excellent book about the history of housing discrimination promoted by the Federal and local governments in the US. It wasn't just banks and developers and Southerners. The FHA required developers to place restrictive covenants in order to receive FHA financing. Eventually racial covenants were banned by the courts which is when places like Berkeley started to achieve the same ends through zoning.

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    While I agree with you, we have no idea how our current beliefs are going to line up with social norms 50 years from now. Just realize you may very well be an idiot that is not self-aware when you are old.
    This. My dad was old and aware enough that CP had become archaic language. But when he was a young man, even as a Middle aged man, using the term colored or colored people was very woke. So, context matters w the speaker. Just because some geezer says colored doesn’t mean they’re in the klan. They’re probably getting in trouble for using stewardess and secretary too.
    Last edited by mcski; 06-06-2023 at 08:45 PM.

Banks that no longer accept coins. I keep all my loose change in a jar then roll it once a year then deposit it. Today, bank of the west told me they no longer accept coins.

Edit: it was just that specific branch supposedly, still annoyed
    Last edited by brutah; 06-06-2023 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Banks that no longer accept coins. I keep all my loose change in a jar then roll it once a year then deposit it. Today, bank of the west told me they no longer accept coins

They also wouldn't accept us savings bonds

Guess I'm changing banks
    There's a current thread that might be useful for that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm only a septagenarian but off the top of my bald head I can think of 6 socially-preferred words for Black people (I believe that's the current preferred term, at least among educated White people), not counting the unacceptable ones, that have gone in and out of fashion in my lifetime.. I've learned that any polite term can become a slur because using the polite term doesn't change how people feel about other people. ( "Retarded" was once a scientifically- accepted term for a certain degree of mental disability. ) I've also learned that politically correct speech can be a cover up for allowing sytemic racism and other prejudices to persist. Example--I know a lot of politically correct people who oppose California's laws banning R1 zoning--single family detached houses--zoning that originated in Berkeley CA in the early 20thC as a way to keep housing in desirable neighborhoods too expensive for Black people to buy.

I try to keep up. I don't say "colored people" except as an abbreviation--NAACP. I do say "people of color". Maybe someday I'll understand the difference. But circumstances for the majority of Black people haven't changed a whole lot through all those changes in acceptable speech and they probably won't change a whole lot through the next 6 identifiers. Unless a lot more changes besides the words.

"The Color of Law" is an excellent book about the history of housing discrimination promoted by the Federal and local governments in the US. It wasn't just banks and developers and Southerners. The FHA required developers to place restrictive covenants in order to receive FHA financing. Eventually racial covenants were banned by the courts which is when places like Berkeley started to achieve the same ends through zoning.
    quality post
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Great info. I think Berkeley just got themselves cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I should have said I expect that some stuff I’m saying now won’t be appropriate in the future. But I hope that future me will change with the times.
    I’m already practicing dropping ‘him’ and ‘her’ for ‘they.’

I try to keep up. I don't say "colored people" except as an abbreviation--NAACP. I do say "people of color". Maybe someday I'll understand the difference.
    "People first language" is generally preferred across the board, not just regarding race.

We don't say disabled people, we say people with disabilities.

Shit, we aren't even supposed to say homeless people anymore. They are people experiencing homelessness.

I believe the idea is that it humanizes people who have traditionally been discriminated against and therefore may help reduce stigma / bias / bigotry.

I'm all for it if thats what the people.in those groups want to be called.

Autism Spectrum Disorder and neurodiversity gets complicated, as the "correct" thing these days would be to say person with autism or person on the spectrum, but many of those individuals prefer to be called Autistic and advocate for just that. Who am I to tell them they're wrong because polite society says they need to be referred to as people first.

In general I don't mind changing my language to make others in traditionally marginalized communities feel comfortable.. just need to be told what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Shit, we aren't even supposed to say homeless people anymore. They are people experiencing homelessness.
    I’ve picked up “unhoused” after hearing it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I've known a few folks who have been unhoused and this is the term that they prefer, by far.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

But are they Unhoused People, or People who are Unhoused?
    Is it a verb, an adverb, or an adjective?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    But are they Unhoused People, or People who are Unhoused?

LMAO

Admittedly it's complicated, the "people experiencing homelessness" I think I've gotten from NPR, but that brings up the same issue as ASD. What do the actual people want to be called? My guess is there is a pretty big variation within many of these communities.. so really who the fuck knows.

That's why in life I try to bring it down to the individual. Tell me your preference and I'm happy to use it. If you haven't told me, please accept that I am doing my best.

Same goes for gender and pronouns. Tell me what you want and I'm more than happy to use it. But if you haven't, please don't think I'm an asshole because I got it wrong the first time.

Shit that annoys you

It’s also good to remember that people in these groups aren’t monolithic, and appear across all age spectrums, so younger people may have entirely different feelings about words than older people.

I think it’s best to use the most neutral and modern terms when referring to groups of people, and if you are talking with an individual you use what they prefer. It’s also appropriate to ask people how they prefer to be addressed (especially with pronouns, and doubly so if you are going to be introducing them to others). I’ve found that as long as you are genuine and try, people give you a lot of leeway. If you make a joke of it, or make it about yourself, then you start to come off as a prick.

Slaves or the enslaved, words matter.

I think one can be absolved of all one's crimes of semantics by putting together some care packages (one gallon freezer bag) with goodies (socks, snacks, gloves, hat, hygiene items, etc) and keeping them in the car to distribute to folks in need when the opportunity presents itself.

I read multitudes of unrelated young woke POC use the term "brown people" in a positive connotation. I'll leave it up to you people to tell them they need to switch it to "people brown".

We don't say disabled people, we say people with disabilities.
    This seems to be the general rule, although I've yet to hear "people with blindness/deafness."

But, yeah, if people want to be referred to in a certain way it seems awfully petty not to respect that desire.

My brother does not own a car. Is he a person experiencing car-lessness?

I don’t own an oboe. Am I a person experiencing oboe-lessness? Or am I oboe-less?

It all gets a bit convoluted, trying to keep up with the pc flavor of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I read multitudes of unrelated young woke POC use the term "brown people" in a positive connotation. I'll leave it up to you people to tell them they need to switch it to "people brown".
    What do you mean, "you people?"
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I had somebody tell me just today that if you’re over 80 it’s ok to still say things like “colored people.”

I told her no…. No it isn’t. They should not say that ever.

And you know what? It was annoying.
    The preferred nomenclature is “people of color” dude

Deafness becomes complicated as much if not moreso than Autism. There is a large community who consider themselves "Deaf" with the Capitol D, and preferred to be called as such. Again, comes down to what the actual people want...

Calling a homeless person a person experiencing homelessness doesn't put a roof over their head.

If someone thinks all homeless people are drunks and addicts calling them people experiencing homeless won't change how the person thinks about them. Bum > homeless person > person experiencing homelessness > ??

And getting back to the title of this thread--while we try to figure out how to house people at least cities can put portable toilets, sinks, and garbage cans at encampments.

I'm a person experiencing annoyance with this topic.

And getting back to the title of this thread--while we try to figure out how to house people at least cities can put portable toilets, sinks, and garbage cans at encampments.
    But then Fox News will be annoyed they can’t tell everyone people are shitting on the streets of SF

It’s annoying to me there are almost zero public toilets for a city this size. Even in the super liberal haight in super liberal SF, nimbys and store owners blocked any public toilets being built there

People who leave trash behind are annoying. For some reason these floss sticks are even more annoying than regular trash. Why is it so many people need to floss when hiking, and then discard these things?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230608_001234198.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	461257