Page 1147 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 ... LastLast
Results 28,651 to 28,675 of 46183
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Haha. I should have just to mess with her. ANOTHER one of our coworkers can be similarly bad. A guy about the same age, who also has no life (no kids either) and hardcore workaholic will often follow up with a text. I get a blast of e-mails, then 5 seconds later a text message saying "HELLO?! U THERE?!" Damn, dude. Chill! I'm too busy ACTUALLY WORKING or on an important client conference call to deal with a million e-mails right now. These types of people typically work 24/7/365, but oddly enough don't ever really get any further in their careers than the rest of us. Hmmm. It's almost as if working like a sane person helps productivity or something...
    https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/324981
    Deep work. We actually encourage our employees to set up do not disturb and to mark themselves out for 1-3 hour chunks so they can focus. If it's important enough the person that wants you can walk to find you. However, there is a TON of science showing that interruptions slow people way down and encourage mistakes to creep into work. So tell her you are practicing "deep work" and can't be disturbed. And to piss off.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Haha. I should have just to mess with her. ANOTHER one of our coworkers can be similarly bad. A guy about the same age, who also has no life (no kids either) and hardcore workaholic will often follow up with a text. I get a blast of e-mails, then 5 seconds later a text message saying "HELLO?! U THERE?!" Damn, dude. Chill! I'm too busy ACTUALLY WORKING or on an important client conference call to deal with a million e-mails right now. These types of people typically work 24/7/365, but oddly enough don't ever really get any further in their careers than the rest of us. Hmmm. It's almost as if working like a sane person helps productivity or something...
    https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/324981
    https://www.npr.org/2019/11/04/77616...uctivity-by-40

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    Deep work. We actually encourage our employees to set up do not disturb and to mark themselves out for 1-3 hour chunks so they can focus. If it's important enough the person that wants you can walk to find you. However, there is a TON of science showing that interruptions slow people way down and encourage mistakes to creep into work. So tell her you are practicing "deep work" and can't be disturbed. And to piss off.
    ^^^ Genius. I remember reading that it takes anywhere between 20 to 45 minutes to get in a properly focused state and work at full efficiency, depending on the complexity of the task.

At my previous job I shared an office with 5 other peeps and I don't think I ever managed to get more than 10 minute of uninterrupted time before someone blurted out whatever was on their mind. I eventually convinced my boss that if I worked 4-10s and came in around 9ish I'd get 3 solid hours of quiet office time after everyone went home and could actually get shit done. I lasted a year before I lost it and went back to working for a startup. Now I can go days without interacting with another person and stay focused on one issue for 10 hours straight. If I can't focus for some reason I go ride my bike. A lot of shit gets done that way and my boss only wants to hear about it once a week at most.

Back was when I was working I used to have to order residents to go home when they'd been on call the night before. I'd let them stay to do a case but not to do scut.

scut?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    scut?
    When I was working at MGH, that was for Simpletons who Can't Understand Things.

Not as bad as Can't Understand Normal Thinking.

scut?
    It's worse then crabs...don't ask.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Also confirmation bias. “I obviously made a great decision in purchasing this product, because that’s the kind of decisions I make.”
    Definitely this.

Relatively few people will admit (to themselves or others) they spent $40/50K on a vehicle and there's something they dislike about it, or that doesn't work right, or it rattles, or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Definitely this.

Relatively few people will admit (to themselves or others) they spent $40/50K on a vehicle and there's something they dislike about it, or that doesn't work right, or it rattles, or whatever.
    Why I prefer to buy sub-$10k vehicles and not give one single fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Definitely this.

Who do you guys hang out with IRL ????? (In Real Life for you boomers)

i tell people i'm dumb all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Why I prefer to buy sub-$10k vehicles and not give one single fuck.
    Yup

I see zero reason to ever buy a new vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Or they don't have a clue what they're talking about, but want to sound like they do.

Standard response to what bike/tire/part question on MTBR: "I ride a ____ and I love it!" Super helpful!
    I have these socks:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1826.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	302059
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

When you ask someone if they saw a particular show on TV and they respond "We don't watch TV" like they are some sort of superior being then you go to their house and see a TV large as life above their fireplace at which point you say "I thought you didn't watch T.V." and their response is "We don't, we watch Netflix".

Whatever.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    When you ask someone if they saw a particular show on TV and they respond "We don't watch TV" like they are some sort of superior being then you go to their house and see a TV large as life above their fireplace at which point you say "I thought you didn't watch T.V." and their response is "We don't, we watch Netflix".

Whatever.
    Whatever. I say that.

What I mean is that I don’t have broadcast TV, I only find out about new shows if somebody recommends them or they’re in a TGR thread, and I’m the wrong one to ask if you’re looking for somebody who caught a particular episode.

Better if I said “I don’t have broadcast TV?” That starts a whole discussion I don’t really want to have with the person who wants to talk about what Simon Cowell did on the last episode of Extreme Bathroom Makeover or whatever. I don’t share your programming. New topic.
    focus.

^^^ Yup. For me it always starts with someone saying: “Have you seen XYZ?” Or especially: “You’d love XYZ.” Nope.
    A friend of mine told me I would love “Friday night lights”. It’s exactly 180* from the kind of thing I would like to watch.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Whatever. I say that.

What I mean is that I don’t have broadcast TV, I only find out about new shows if somebody recommends them or they’re in a TGR thread, and I’m the wrong one to ask if you’re looking for somebody who caught a particular episode.

Better if I said “I don’t have broadcast TV?” That starts a whole discussion I don’t really want to have with the person who wants to talk about what Simon Cowell did on the last episode of Extreme Bathroom Makeover or whatever. I don’t share your programming. New topic.
    It was a PBS show I was asking about and she said it with a dismissive wave of her hand like they were too busy for such pedestrian things. Why not just say "No we only watch a few select shows via Netflix."

Guess I should have said I'm annoyed by people who can't answer a simple question civilly. It was at a social gathering and I was simply trying to strike up a conversation and find common ground instead I was shut down and treated rudely.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

You all are watching Television, if you don't know the show, just say "we only have Netflix, is it on netflix?"

And even if you legitimately don't have an actual television - if you have a computer, you're likely "watching TV."

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    It was a PBS show I was asking about and she said it with a dismissive wave of her hand like they were too busy for such pedestrian things. Why not just say "No we only watch a few select shows via Netflix."

Guess I should have said I'm annoyed by people who can't answer a simple question civilly. It was at a social gathering and I was simply trying to strike up a conversation and find common ground instead I was shut down and treated rudely.
    That’s fair enough. From this side, it’s a tough thing to head off that doesn’t feel dickish. I’m not sure what is least off-putting: “I don’t watch TV.” Or “I don’t watch YOUR TV.” Or just a simple “no, haven’t seen it,” which leads to “no, I’m not going to ever watch that.” And then boring you with my haughty “I only watch Netflix and Amazon Prime.”

Just.... I don’t have TV. It’s a non-starter you well-meaner you, and I’m too awkward generally to find a gentle way to steer you toward mutually productive topics.
    focus.

scut?
    routine tasks on the wards--checking labs, doing dictations, discharging patients. I don't know what the fleas (internists) call it, but for surgeons it's pretty much everything that happens outside the operating room. I thought it was a general word for ordinary tasks; didn't realize it was professional slang. Sorry.

That’s fair enough. From this side, it’s a tough thing to head off that doesn’t feel dickish. I’m not sure what is least off-putting: “I don’t watch TV.”
    I think there's often an implied hauteur when people say they don't watch TV.

That’s fair enough. From this side, it’s a tough thing to head off that doesn’t feel dickish. I’m not sure what is least off-putting: “I don’t watch TV.” Or “I don’t watch YOUR TV.” Or just a simple “no, haven’t seen it,” which leads to “no, I’m not going to ever watch that.” And then boring you with my haughty “I only watch Netflix and Amazon Prime.”

Just.... I don’t have TV. It’s a non-starter you well-meaner you, and I’m too awkward generally to find a gentle way to steer you toward mutually productive topics.
    I think you're making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think there's often an implied hauteur when people say they don't watch TV.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

A simple "No, I haven't seen it" works fine. If they say you should watch it just say you'll keep it in mind, and then don't. Nobody actually gives a fuck about whether someone else watches TV or not, and in what form. A television show is just something to talk about that isn't Trump or the weather. (According to the TV, the weather in the east is worse than Trump at the moment.)

Writing this reply was annoying--there's a couple of different laptops I use and when I go from one to the other I can never find home position, always correcting typos. Which is funny because I have guitars with very different necks and fingerboards and have not trouble going from one to another.

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I think you're making this way more complicated than it needs to be.
    I’m not though. It doesn’t fucking stop with some people.

“Oh my god, you have to watch it! It’s just like This Other Show. Have you watched that??” “No....” and then they give you the TV guide lineup like they’re doing you a favor. Or it devolves into a bunch of shows Just Like It that might be on Netflix. Is that on Netflix? It probably is!

Easiest way out is “I don’t have TV.” Let’s talk about something else. No? I’m a dick? Fine.
    focus.