Page 1162 of 1175 FirstFirst ... 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 ... LastLast
Results 29,026 to 29,050 of 29353
    I know I've said this before and I'll say it again. Shit that annoys me as a medical professional is patients leaving against medical advice or refusing scans. Why the fuck do you even bother coming into the hospital, wasting everyones time and your own if you don't want to participate in your medical care.
    Better yet, why the fuck don't attending physicians actually talk to the patient prior to ordering scans that the patient might refuse anyways.

Because the fucking US system is such that we don't know how much scans are going to cost.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Because the fucking US system is such that we don't know how much scans are going to cost.
    This. It's ridiculous.

Just got back from my surgeon's ten minutes ago. i need an MRI. JH hospital best price was $1650, Star valley (45 minutes away) was $800.
    Ridiculous.
    Needless to say, I'm taking a road trip.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

And on top of that, some providers just order ALL of the tests. Because. It's a broken system

then add in the insurance rodeo ...
    I'm currently annoyed with insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    And on top of that, some providers just order ALL of the tests. Because. It's a broken system
    While I sympathize with mtnjam, there is a lot of this. I had a bad bike wreck recently and (among other things) slammed really hard on my lower back. I was pretty confident that I had just bruised the hell out of everything, but went in a few days later to get some just-in-case xrays. Xrays showed no fractures, but the doctor noted some minor L5 spondylosis and recommended a CT scan. I thought that was ridiculous considering that it wasn't related to the accident and asymptomatic, it would be an unnecessary dose of radiation (one CT scan is equivalent to hundreds of x-rays), and my out-of-pocket cost would be north of $1,000. I saw my PCP a few days later and he agreed 100% with my decision to decline the CT.

The NP that works with my wife's doctor lives to order thousands of dollars of tests. The doc, not so much. I always tell my wife to hold out for an appointment with the doc.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    I know I've said this before and I'll say it again. Shit that annoys me as a medical professional is patients leaving against medical advice or refusing scans. Why the fuck do you even bother coming into the hospital, wasting everyones time and your own if you don't want to participate in your medical care.
    Better yet, why the fuck don't attending physicians actually talk to the patient prior to ordering scans that the patient might refuse anyways.
    I don't think you get the big picture, might be time to find a new line of work.

Fucking people at work that IM me, then try to call. For piddly shit. Just type that shit in the IM window. We can all get on with our lives.

Also - I'm not going to answer the fucking phone.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Fucking people at work that IM me, then try to call. For piddly shit. Just type that shit in the IM window. We can all get on with our lives.

Also - I'm not going to answer the fucking phone.

"Hey, got a second?"
    "Yeah, what's up?"
    [two hours of silence]

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    "Hey, got a second?"
    "Yeah, what's up?"
    [two hours of silence]
    You must work at my company...

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    "Hey, got a second?"
    "Yeah, what's up?"
    [two hours of silence]
    I like when as soon as you IM someone a question their status changes to busy.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I like when as soon as you IM someone a question their status changes to busy.
    I usually switch mine to "Out of Office" as soon as people start bothering me.

And, you generally know you're going to get screwed.

I went to urgent care a few years ago with a bad cough. Had gone through the normal cycle of symptoms for a cold. After a week I was getting better but then the cough came back. After a few days was still getting worse, not better. Doc wanted xrays to check for pneumonia. I balked at the xray questioning if the provider doing them would be in my network. Doc shrugged and said well if it isn't pneumonia I'd be giving you antibiotics for the other alternatives it could be anyways, so here's your prescription. Cough was gone in a day or two. Saved a few hundred that day...

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Different but similar.

Had some wax way down in my ear canal that wouldn’t come out. PC noticed it and couldn’t get it out during routine physical. Sent me to a random Ear/Nose/Throat guy.

Guy took the wax out in about a minute and then casually said ok let’s get a quick hearing test done. I assume it is a simple quick thing as part of the removal to make sure he didn’t fuck something up with the extraction, all one cost.

NOPE.

I get sent into a room for full blown hearing test, obviously being able to hear I had no issues.

I get the bill and I forget the amount but it was an outrageous add on. Thankfully insurance covered most of it.

The fucking guy assuming that I was ok with it without any explanation of an estimated cost is what annoys me. What if I was paying out of pocket? That could have thrown some people for a loop.

Lesson learned, ask if something is necessary because Dr’s are looking out for #1, not necessarily your best interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I don't think you get the big picture, might be time to find a new line of work.
    And what would the bigger picture be? Milking as much money out of people as possible?

I'm fine in my work, I just like to come here to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    And what would the bigger picture be? Milking as much money out of people as possible?

I'm fine in my work, I just like to come here to vent.
    We all do.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    And, you generally know you're going to get screwed.

I went to urgent care a few years ago with a bad cough. Had gone through the normal cycle of symptoms for a cold. After a week I was getting better but then the cough came back. After a few days was still getting worse, not better. Doc wanted xrays to check for pneumonia. I balked at the xray questioning if the provider doing them would be in my network. Doc shrugged and said well if it isn't pneumonia I'd be giving you antibiotics for the other alternatives it could be anyways, so here's your prescription. Cough was gone in a day or two. Saved a few hundred that day...
    When I sliced up my kneecap mtn biking in Steamboat this summer the only place that was open that I could find was the ER. 5 stitches. I was there for 60 minutes. Bill before insurance was $4,500. My share was $900. For some irrigation and 5 stitches. This is why people hate doctors.

I should have poured alcohol into it and used steri strips.

I'm only kinda kidding.

I went to steamboat ER for less than 60 minutes. With Xrays it was nearly $2,000 after insurance. They wanted to put a $250 soft splint on that I got for $16 at Walgreens across the street. I regret even walking in the door of a medical facility. This is America.

Clothes washer shit the bed last night. Put a load in, come downstairs later and the washer has vibrated so violently it's turned 45* and moved a couple feet from the wall. The drum has a couple inches of lateral play. Seems like the bearing is still good and quiet, but I don't think this is something that is realistic to fix. Great timing right before I go out of town for a week! At least my stuff got sort of clean before it turned off...

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    A couple days ago I updated (well, accepted the update) to Catalina os from Mojave on my mac, it seemed fine until a minute ago, but I just found out that "dashboard" is gone. I used that all the time, wtf. No more dashboard, I just read and confirmed it. annoying.
    Did “photos”load quickly? Mine was taking days so I finally had to force quit a whole bunch of stuff on activity monitor.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    <snip> The drum has a couple inches of lateral play.
    Be advised - my washer has at *least* this much float, and has since new. I *believe* that it's supposed to... so maybe it was just a horribly unbalanced load that caused the mayhem?

Quote Originally Posted by HD333 View Post
    What if I was paying out of pocket? That could have thrown some people for a loop.
    The way deductibles have gone in the last few years doc's should pretty much assume that a patient is going to be paying out-of-pocket unless told otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    When I sliced up my kneecap mtn biking in Steamboat this summer the only place that was open that I could find was the ER. 5 stitches. I was there for 60 minutes. Bill before insurance was $4,500. My share was $900. For some irrigation and 5 stitches. This is why people hate doctors.

I should have poured alcohol into it and used steri strips.

I'm only kinda kidding.
    More and more, ERs just seem like a blatant cash grab. Last summer I blew my shin open about 3 inches long to the bone. Thankfully the Park City Instacare was open. Two-layer closure with 6 internal and 8 external stitches. Total charges were about $600, which contractual adjustments (quite different from payments, my insurance co. paid nothing) reduced to about $300.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 11-20-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The way deductibles have gone in the last few years doc's should pretty much assume that a patient is going to be paying out-of-pocket unless told otherwise.
    Srsly - it's getting to the point that almost *everyone* that actually has employer-provided insurance, is going to have what amounts to a catastrophic medical plan (high deductible health plans are like this).

And I'm not sure most people even *understand* these HDHP are going to cost a LOT of $$ out-of-pocket.

And I predict once they realize this, they are going to STOP seeking medical care for anything other than emergency stuff. And even then, I suspect they will think twice about it.

It really is (and continues to get moreso) ridiculous.