Page 1290 of 1849 FirstFirst ... 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 ... LastLast
Results 32,226 to 32,250 of 46225
    Power just went out
    (Wind caused likely)
    Fuuuuuck

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think I'm pretty much done with anything requiring climbing a ladder higher than six feet. Just too dangerous. I've heard way too many stories of people who have been seriously injured or killed from ladder or roof falls.
    I've lost count of how many seriously fucked up patients we've had in my ICU from ladder falls over the years.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I got pretty crushed in a fall involving a stepladder a year ago. It was a complicated chain of highly unlikely events happening in perfect almost cosmic sequence that caused it to happen but the bottom line is, yeah, fuck ladders at this point. I'm still not sure I'm 100% recovered after a year, I fucked myself up pretty good.

A good friend jacked himself up really bad last year in a ladder fall. I'm talking two broken arms, a broken femur, lacerated kidney, all kinds of shit. Took him a really long time to recover.

I fell off a ladder once but all that happened to me was I spilled paint all over myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I got pretty crushed in an identity crisis involving a logon a year ago. It was a complicated chain of highly unlikely events happening in perfect almost cosmic sequence that caused it to happen but the bottom line is, yeah, fuck logon's at this point. I'm still not sure I'm 100% recovered after a year, I fucked myself up pretty good.
    FIFY.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    A good friend jacked himself up really bad last year in a ladder fall. I'm talking two broken arms, a broken femur, lacerated kidney, all kinds of shit. Took him a really long time to recover.

I fell off a ladder once but all that happened to me was I spilled paint all over myself.
    I essentially fell off the roof last fall while getting on the ladder after cleaning gutters. Not sure exactly how it happened, I had one foot on and one foot still on the roof and something shifted a couple mm, next thing I knew I was off. I somehow managed to clear the concrete patio and land in the onion patch and got saved by a tuck and roll. I ended up with very sore ankles for a week and a newfound respect and fear for anything involving ladders, stepladders, stools, etc...
    Ms Boissal was home and gave me a lecture about how often she sees a fall cause a permanent change in the life of relatively healthy older people she sees in the trauma bay. They're doing really well in general, fall once, and get on a downward spiral of health problems that takes them out in a relatively short amount of time. Scary.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    License expired. Go to renew online, says I have to do it in person because my picture is too old (jeez, thanks). We don't have a DMV in our county, so go to the closest one which says by appointment only. Call the number to schedule, recording says completely closed to the public, renew online.

Sent them an e-mail asking what to do, just to CYA unless I get pulled over.

Further, if I do get this done in the next couple weeks, I'm going to be stuck with the ridiculous looking Movember stache on my license for the next 5 years.
    Took me all summer to get an "M" on my license. The folks at the DL office in Frisco were super nice though. Pretty easy to get the appointment once you figured out the shitty website.

Some of the shit I've seen people do with/on ladders on construction sites is breathtaking.

I generally don't fuck around with anything bigger than an 8' stepladder unless I know it's secured in place at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I essentially fell off the roof last fall while getting on the ladder after cleaning gutters. Not sure exactly how it happened, I had one foot on and one foot still on the roof and something shifted a couple mm, next thing I knew I was off. I somehow managed to clear the concrete patio and land in the onion patch and got saved by a tuck and roll. I ended up with very sore ankles for a week and a newfound respect and fear for anything involving ladders, stepladders, stools, etc...
    Ms Boissal was home and gave me a lecture about how often she sees a fall cause a permanent change in the life of relatively healthy older people she sees in the trauma bay. They're doing really well in general, fall once, and get on a downward spiral of health problems that takes them out in a relatively short amount of time. Scary.
    Similar thing for me last year. Early spring and yarded out the ladder to clean the roof. We have a low angle, mid-century house, so debris needs cleaning. Went to get down, and as soon as I put my weight on the ladder - WHOOP! Out it came and down I went. The desk was slick from moisture. Fortunately, it was only about 7 fee or so. Still, hurt like hell. No injuries other than bruising.

My fall from the 10’ standing ladder was caused by a front leg sinking into the ‘solid looking’ ground, as I climbed up.
    It spun counter-clockwise, so I landed on it instead of the concrete walkway next the flower bed, slowing my fall before my head bounced. The fiberglass legs still cracked a couple ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Took me all summer to get an "M" on my license. The folks at the DL office in Frisco were super nice though. Pretty easy to get the appointment once you figured out the shitty website.
    They are. Do not go to GWS. Pb is the best though, but completely shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Vocal fry is even worse.
    On a zoom with somebody right this minute who does both uptalk and vocal fry. If it wasn’t for this thread I’d be poorer equipped to describe how terrible his voice is.
    focus.

My workplace has made a serious effort over the last few years to eliminate use of all A-frame ladders. They were far and away the #1 cause of workplace injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    On a zoom with somebody right this minute who does both uptalk and vocal fry. If it wasn’t for this thread I’d be poorer equipped to describe how terrible his voice is.
    You're welcome.

STAY:

Trying to have a legal argument with a postal ee about what is required to renew a POB with a print out of the USPS' own requirements... after going on 18 fucking years.

"Where did you get that?"

"The URL for the USPS site is right there on the top."

"You'll have to see the postmaster."

"When is she going to be in?"

"I don't know, maybe Tuesday."

"Well, take this, and if there is a problem, put a note in my box."

"Sir, sir, sir, sir,........."

This is after 2 trips where I walked one whole block home to print out the goddamn fucking requirements, and chatted with 2 neighbors on the very short way home. You can throw a water balloon from my POB to my home.

Just, bring it on. I haven't had my phone for 2 days. I bought a new battery and a seal for the screen and brought it to them with my phone. MFF.

Hello Mr. Fuck Me Up The Ass;
    We wont be able to change the battery without damaging the Screen, we have an estimate on the LCD replacement. If you approve it will be $45. It is the LCD that is damage and if he opens it up to change the battery it will break more and the screen will have more lines running up and down or it can turn completely black. Thank you.
    But, Thank you.

Full Send the STAY:

Trying to deal with Ford and Summit Ford about the MF 4th GD transmission control module on the GD car. It's a $3k repair, fully GD known. You can't get it right the 2nd time even, and now, you can't even get back to me? FYYFF's.

I'm cracking a MF beer. STAY is my new safe word. GDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    License expired. Go to renew online, says I have to do it in person because my picture is too old (jeez, thanks). We don't have a DMV in our county, so go to the closest one which says by appointment only. Call the number to schedule, recording says completely closed to the public, renew online.

Sent them an e-mail asking what to do, just to CYA unless I get pulled over.

Further, if I do get this done in the next couple weeks, I'm going to be stuck with the ridiculous looking Movember stache on my license for the next 5 years.
    Governor has suspended the need for 70 and older drivers to renew DL in person during the pandemic. I'm up for renewal in 2 years. I need the pandemic to last that long.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    I've lost count of how many seriously fucked up patients we've had in my ICU from ladder falls over the years.
    Get the strongest stiffest ladder that you can find. Then when you go to get it out you'll decide it's too damn heavy and go back to watching TV. Worked for me. (Mine has an extension leg for slopes. I recently loaned it to the young couple across the street who were staining their house. But they were also using harnesses, ropes, and gris-gris's. Pretty damn smart for young whippersnappers.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    (... But they were also using harnesses, ropes, and gris-gris's. Pretty damn smart for young whippersnappers.)
    that is very impressive
    swing your fucking sword.

Governor has suspended the need for 70 and older drivers to renew DL in person during the pandemic. I'm up for renewal in 2 years. I need the pandemic to last that long.

Get the strongest stiffest ladder that you can find. Then when you go to get it out you'll decide it's too damn heavy and go back to watching TV. Worked for me. (Mine has an extension leg for slopes. I recently loaned it to the young couple across the street who were staining their house. But they were also using harnesses, ropes, and gris-gris's. Pretty damn smart for young whippersnappers.)
    Shame on you peeping through their bedroom window.

yeah I don’t like ladders

y’all ought to have seen me and my buddy working a siding job last week

two chicken shits
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I feel better now for never having sent anything bigger than 15’ on skis.
    Also not the biggest fan of the most exposed steep skiing.
    Or jumping my bike that far for that matter.
    Sure do have a lot of fun doing other stuff on skis and bikes though.

*goes to edit his post offering gutter cleaning to one story maaaybe two if ground is nice and flat*

Zoom. Again.

What shitty, laggy, low-res, poorly executed tool with horrible UI. And that's to say nothing of its garbage security. It's a shame that it's now a verb to describe video meetings. There are so many, better, more stable, optimized solutions available.

Zoom and Teams can have a Thunderdome battle to determine the worst service currently available.

Lose yours soon and apply for a replacement? Not sure if that resets the timing

Shit that annoys you

I've spent a ton of time on ground ladders, some as high as three stories. Stepping off of them onto wet roofs and then using chainsaws to cut holes all while having one foot on the rung of a roof hook ladder. Hardly ever had any hesitation. And then I spent almost five months on crutches from improper setup of a fucking folding ladder from cleaning my gutters at home. I stepped off of the roof onto the ladder and the thing folded up and I hit the concrete hard and broke my calcaneus.

About six months after the injury it was time to clean the gutters again and I decided I wasn't going to let fear rule me. So I check the ladder, double check it and march to the top. No one is home. After cleaning out all of the gutters I could not make myself step off the roof onto the ladder. I sat on the roof for probably an hour until my neighbor came home. I yelled at him to come over and coached him on how to foot the ladder for me so that I could step off. So yeah, fuck ladders.

edit: ladder trucks are less scary:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2429.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	347762