Page 997 of 1849 FirstFirst ... 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 ... LastLast
Results 24,901 to 24,925 of 46225
    My taxes are almost $4k higher this year, with no changes to income or expenses. Fuck the GOP.

Yeah, doubling the standard deduction is going to hurt a lot of charities, as people who used to itemize realize they can't anymore. That's annoying.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, doubling the standard deduction is going to hurt a lot of charities, as people who used to itemize realize they can't anymore. That's annoying.
    Charities aren't thrilled about the massive eatate/gift/gst cut, either.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I *knew* people were going to get caught off-guard by the huge increase in the standard deduction. I'm waiting anxiously to see how *many* millions are pissed about it... 'cause it's gonna be millions.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I *knew* people were going to get caught off-guard by the huge increase in the standard deduction. I'm waiting anxiously to see how *many* millions are pissed about it... 'cause it's gonna be millions.
    But 'Merica's gonna be great again, and tired of winning.

Just finished filling and owe 2k. Now I know what a hooker on Wall St feels like

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Somebody should start a separate taxes thread so we can track the increases/decreases in taxes and refunds due to this so called reform. Haven't done mine yet but I am starting to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Somebody should start a separate taxes thread so we can track the increases/decreases in taxes and refunds due to this so called reform. Haven't done mine yet but I am starting to worry.
    Sure, but let’s make sure we are comparing apples to apples (i.e., effective tax rate year over year) and not, “last year I got a refund and this year I had to pay $2k.” type of comparison. Talk about shit that annoys you.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

^^^Agreed. Actual tax rate. Refund is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Sure, but let’s make sure we are comparing apples to apples (i.e., effective tax rate year over year) and not, “last year I got a refund and this year I had to pay $2k.” type of comparison. Talk about shit that annoys you.
    yeah. I am getting quite a bit more back this year, and I think it is because of the tax law, but my tax situation also changed fairly significantly.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

You want apples fine- 17 ETR 10.57% - 18 ETR 9.97%. in '18 total income $1875.00 less then in 17 and owe $1854.00 more this year. Also after filling last year both of us changed deductions from married 1 to married 0 plus $10. Per check extra. So ya got fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^Agreed. Actual tax rate. Refund is irrelevant.
    I wouldn't be complaining if I was getting a refund, fuck I wouldn't be complaining if I broke dead even after filling fees, that's actually how the fucking system should work.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    That would be a worthwhile thread. With no reason to itemize now I've been wondering if it's still worth the price to use TurboTax vs something else. On the other hand, my wife got two W2s and a 1099-MISC, we maxed out a HSA, received ACA subsidies, and contributed to a 529, so maybe it's still worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That would be a worthwhile thread. With no reason to itemize now I've been wondering if it's still worth the price to use TurboTax vs something else. On the other hand, my wife got two W2s and a 1099-MISC, we maxed out a HSA, received ACA subsidies, and contributed to a 529, so maybe it's still worth it?
    Isn't the HSA deduction separate from schedule A itemized deductions? It goes straight on the 1040 I thought.

I meant still worth the cost to use TurboTax vs. one of their cheaper, simpler competitors. I just don't know how well the other guys will handle her 3 jobs, the HSA, and particularly the ACA subsisides. This is our first year with the HSA and ACA subsidies, so I'm not really sure what's involved. Definitely not itemizing mortgage interest, donations, etc. though.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    You want apples fine- 17 ETR 10.57% - 18 ETR 9.97%. in '18 total income $1875.00 less then in 17 and owe $1854.00 more this year. Also after filling last year both of us changed deductions from married 1 to married 0 plus $10. Per check extra. So ya got fucked.

Do I understand your post correctly? Your ‘17 effective tax rate (10.57%) was higher than your ‘18 effective tax rate (9.97%)?

Are you really complaining about a lower tax rate?

Do I understand your post correctly? Your ‘17 effective tax rate (10.57%) was higher than your ‘18 effective tax rate (9.97%)?

Are you really complaining about a lower tax rate?
    No I'm complaining about making 2k less this year and having to pay $1854 more at filing on top of increasing my weekly federal deductions. I really don't give a shit what my ETR is, I'm paying more per week as well as paying more in April. I paid the fed $708 last year and $2662 (708+1854).

Queef is not a valid words with friends word.

well tht's bullshit, it's in the OED: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/queef

At a brew pub (or any small venue) and the local artist finishes a song and people don't give her/him applause. Yeah, it kinda pisses me off.

Mostly it was this one douche sitting next to me at the bar. His Irish plaid cap with his rolled sleeves that were different color on the inside and his long ass beard and he was with his wife or whoever. He was a douche to the barmaid not saying "thank you" for anything and asking for stuff like she was beneath him. Man, I just hate assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    well tht's bullshit, it's in the OED: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/queef
    I know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    No I'm complaining about making 2k less this year and having to pay $1854 more at filing on top of increasing my weekly federal deductions. I really don't give a shit what my ETR is, I'm paying more per week as well as paying more in April. I paid the fed $708 last year and $2662 (708+1854).

Admittedly I'm really bad at this, but your tax rate x your income = what you pay, right? So, how did your tax rate go down, income went down and paid amount went up? And again, bad at this plus I'm two glasses of wine in waiting for wife to get home so we can go to dinner, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yeah. I am getting quite a bit more back this year, and I think it is because of the tax law, but my tax situation also changed fairly significantly.
    If you are getting a refund, you’ve given the government a loan at 0%.

Do you think they’ll do the same for you?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Admittedly I'm really bad at this, but your tax rate x your income = what you pay, right? So, how did your tax rate go down, income went down and paid amount went up? And again, bad at this plus I'm two glasses of wine in waiting for wife to get home so we can go to dinner, sorry.
    I’m confused as well. I think the math might be off somewhere. My understanding of effective tax rate is:

[Total tax paid (withdrawn from your paycheck over the year) +/- amount owed/refunded] / Your “taxable income”

Now, with the tax law changes, the deductions from your AGI may not be as great which would possibly increase your taxable income. That could decrease your effective tax rate.

I’m confused as well. I think the math might be off somewhere. My understanding of effective tax rate is:

[Total tax paid (withdrawn from your paycheck over the year) +/- amount owed/refunded] / Your “taxable income”

Now, with the tax law changes, the deductions from your AGI may not be as great which would possibly increase your taxable income. That could decrease your effective tax rate.
    Don't know either, those are the exact numbers directly off the summaries for both years.