Page 1580 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 ... LastLast
Results 39,476 to 39,500 of 46183
    Much benadryl later, and it's not bad this morning. A little swelling, pain mostly gone. Feels oddly "thick" over the bite area, kind of how your face feels after a dentist numbs you, but without the numbing effect.

Re: creepers - it always strikes me as funny when I'm biking along a trail, and some hikers ask if I'm the only one, or if there's anyone else coming along. I know what they mean by it since I'm on a bike passing them, but wonder how creepy it sounds to women biking by themselves. "So... you all alone out here? By yourself?"
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Whenever I encounter fellow trail users I like to up the stoke (‘have a great ride / hike / etc’) after saying hello, and my sense is that solo women relax when they hear something that makes it clear you’re just a fellow trail enthusiast AND you’re not going to drag out the conversation.

I never have a good time biking until someone tells me to have a good ride, so it's always appreciated when I'm told to.

Been working on a couple new bike trails this summer and have had to deal with the wasps a fait bit. Got lit up a few times by some living in trailside nests, took some amusing falls fleeing in the brush. The worst assault was in a steep off camber area where I disturbed a nest of ground wasps. No warning, 5 hits to the forearm within a few seconds, I took off down the fall line and ate it hard into a pine tree. I managed to get the trail done within 15' of the nest on each side and by then it was getting late and my forearm had swollen to the size of my thigh. I hiked back up to get the bike and figured with the low light they'd be calmer, or at least calm enough to let me go through. No such luck, apparently the rain that had started falling gets them more riled up. I made it to the spot where I had stopped digging, went OTB in the brush because the ground I hadn't cleaned up was way soft and wet, landed directly below the nest, and got stung a couple more times, once through the helmet. The rest of the ride was hellacious, really steep barely cleaned trail, fairly heavy rain, light fading fast, forearm really painful with any vibration...

I came back with a spray and went medieval on the nest. Usually I try to work around wasps but these fuckers went too far...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

One of the best strange feelings I ever had was after being lit up by hornets, or wasps, or bees. No clue. Was trimming the Panama hedges and plants and bucked a nest. Full squadron to the face. Went inside and hallucinated for two hours. Outstanding

Wasps, Yellow-jackets, Hornets - IMO, those guys are just evil.
    It seems to me that they're just looking for *any* excuse to fuck your shit up.

I can get along with the run of the mill paper wasps... they're actually beneficial for the garden. But yellowjackets and bald-faced hornets? Fuck those fuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Whenever I encounter fellow trail users I like to up the stoke (‘have a great ride / hike / etc’) after saying hello, and my sense is that solo women relax when they hear something that makes it clear you’re just a fellow trail enthusiast AND you’re not going to drag out the conversation.
    I hope you're not one of those condescending assholes who tells me how great I'm doing when I'm xc skiing. No asshole. I'm not doing great. The nursing home just put me on skis and dropped me out here hoping I would die and not come back.

fkn funny
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

We had a bumblebee hive below the floor of one of my sheds. Those fuckers were loud…. Stomp your feet while in there and the whole shed vibrated with their buzzing. Rarely saw them and they weren’t aggressive, just made for a really spooky shed.

It was a nice change of pace after all the bald faced hornets, wasps, and yellowjackets we dealt with this summer. I agree, kill ‘em all.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I hope you're not one of those condescending assholes who tells me how great I'm doing when I'm xc skiing. No asshole. I'm not doing great. The nursing home just put me on skis and dropped me out here hoping I would die and not come back.
    I've told the story here before. I have a special place in my heart for people who ask you in the grocery store, when they can plainly see you have a cart half full of stuff, if you are shopping. My wife's new boss at the time did that to us once. I didn't know who he was because she didn't have the chance to introduce us first. I replied that no, we were just wandering around the store putting stuff in the cart and that we'd put it all back when we were done. My poor wife had that mix of expressions where one is trying to shoot laser beams out of their eyes while simultaneously wanting to crawl into their own armpit to get away. That didn't earn me any good points with my wife. But her colleagues were in stitches when they heard about it and I seem to recall getting a free beer out of it.

Go to meet someone to buy some race poles. I don't have her phone number because we connected through Facebook (we used Messenger), we're both members of the same ski racing group, but she has my number. I show up at the appointed time, send her a message that I'm there, wait 20 minutes, no response, no text, and no show. Annoying.
    Last edited by Danno; 09-30-2022 at 02:05 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Go to meet someone to buy some race poles. I don't have her phone number because we connected through Facebook (we used Messenger), we're both members of the same ski racing group, but she has my number. I show up at the appointed time, send her a message that I'm there, wait 20 minutes, no response, no text, and no show. Annoying.
    That ain't annoying that's just downright rude!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

When the packaging says "Shake Well" but also has a shitty lid that leaks. WTF assholes?

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    "I'm looking for a feral woman I can tame and keep in a pen at home."

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I've told the story here before. I have a special place in my heart for people who ask you in the grocery store, when they can plainly see you have a cart half full of stuff, if you are shopping. My wife's new boss at the time did that to us once. I didn't know who he was because she didn't have the chance to introduce us first. I replied that no, we were just wandering around the store putting stuff in the cart and that we'd put it all back when we were done. My poor wife had that mix of expressions where one is trying to shoot laser beams out of their eyes while simultaneously wanting to crawl into their own armpit to get away. That didn't earn me any good points with my wife. But her colleagues were in stitches when they heard about it and I seem to recall getting a free beer out of it.
    People say a lot of meaningless stuff in greeting--"How are you" comes to mind. I mean no one expects you to explain the meeting of life when they run into to you on the street, but asking someone in a grocery store if they're shopping seems next level stupid.

OTOH my mother in a department store wasn't shopping. She was borrowing stuff to sit in the bags in the living room for a week and then give back. Most people decorate their house with lamps and paintings. My mom decorated with shopping bags.

Breaking my foot, dislocating my ankle, and a high ankle sprain just as fall MTB season gets going. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	APC_4048-hdr.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	428271

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    People say a lot of meaningless stuff in greeting--"How are you" comes to mind. I mean no one expects you to explain the meeting of life when they run into to you on the street, but asking someone in a grocery store if they're shopping seems next level stupid.

OTOH my mother in a department store wasn't shopping. She was borrowing stuff to sit in the bags in the living room for a week and then give back. Most people decorate their house with lamps and paintings. My mom decorated with shopping bags.
    At a previous employer, someone had absentmindedly used the wrong empty answer for such a greeting, and the person they were responding to didn't react. The witnesses decided to make a habit of it, and it caught on (for a little while).

"How are you?"
    "Not much, you?"

"What are you up to?" (Or similar)
    "Good, and you?"

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Breaking my foot, dislocating my ankle, and a high ankle sprain just as fall MTB season gets going. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	APC_4048-hdr.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	428271
    Yikes. Heal fast dude

Shit that annoys you

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Yikes. Heal fast dude
    Thanks man. Been out for a month. About 3 more weeks before I can weight it. Hoping to be riding lifts with my 6 year old late December, laps with my 11 year old mid-late January, and back on the skinner sometime in Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    At a previous employer, someone had absentmindedly used the wrong empty answer for such a greeting, and the person they were responding to didn't react. The witnesses decided to make a habit of it, and it caught on (for a little while).

"How are you?"
    "Not much, you?"

"What are you up to?" (Or similar)
    "Good, and you?"

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    my son

“what’s up Owen?”
    “good”

“how are you?”
    “nuthin”

so funny
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    my son

“what’s up Owen?”
    “good”

“how are you?”
    “nuthin”

so funny
    My 6.5yo

"What did you do at school today?"

"I can't remember."

Funny since he forgets very little.

I've since changed my tune to more specific questions.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Shit that annoys you

Some prick stole my pot plant 2 nights ago. The house next door was just sold and is empty but there were landscapers there last week. Pretty fucking sure one of those shitbags took it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by HankScorpio; 10-02-2022 at 02:46 PM.

Fact

It’s annoying as fuck. Stop typing it

Fact

And it's usually capitalized, you know, to emphasize how fucking factual the "FACT" in question actually is.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.