Page 1083 of 1848 FirstFirst ... 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 ... LastLast
Results 27,051 to 27,075 of 46197
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Haha. Seriously. All that racket and chaos pretty much defeats the whole point of camping. Well at least what I consider camping should be. Perhaps we're in the minority?
    Dunno if I'd call it the minority, but a lot of people definitely have varying opinions on what they call camping. We have some areas in Socal where tons of people go camping... pretty much referring to anywhere there is a river and dispersed camping is allowed along it - that are a total fucking shit show every long weekend. These aren't people there for nature. They are there for a party, or a cheap vacation, or just to beat the heat. And they absolutely trash the place. Not just isolated cases, the entire span of the dispersed camping areas get trashed every holiday weekend. BLM will put out multiple 40 cubic meter dumpsters and they will be piled high, junk piled next to them, and broken glass and trash everywhere. A friend who is a human rights attorney said, not jokingly, these are worse than refugee camps he worked at in Africa. I'm shocked BLM hasn't clamped down on this on their own, or been sued by enviros.

By comparison most pay campgrounds are fairly nice, but still annoying to stay at for reasons already mentioned. Added annoyance is that one of the ones I did like to stay at has built yurts in a number of sites. So on top of the campground becoming more popular as people find out about it, some of the prime spots are gone. Pretty much impossible to get a site there now in summer without reserving months in advance.

i don't like car camping but it is a bridge to backpacking with a little kid and his mom who prefers to stay mostly clean. sometimes it's rougher than others. it's also good on long treks between places. i am still hoping to take him on a short backpacking trip this summer and being the way he is, i expect he will prefer that to forest service and state park sites because we talk about what we see and what is different. in the meantime, he's met a lot of friends at campgrounds by riding his bike and passing out glowsticks and dipped his toes into wilderness. it's a process and it's all good.

and then as i finish typing this, fuckhead shows up in his jacked up diesel and turns on the generator at 9:30.

generators are to be operated between the hours of 8am to 9pm only. i waited until 9:45 and then asked him to turn it off, which he did.

Harvard. Pompous fucks.

haha i should have. it's 7:15 and there have been generators going all over the place for 45 minutes.

We went camping at Salt Point SP when the kids were little. The main campground was full but we were able to camp on an overflow campground on the edge of the bluff overlooking the ocean--which was mainly populated by abalone divers pounding their abalone all night.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    ...... pounding their abalone all night.
    Heheh ....... heheheheh. He said ..... pounding.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    and then as i finish typing this, fuckhead shows up in his jacked up diesel and turns on the generator at 9:30.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    haha i should have. it's 7:15 and there have been generators going all over the place for 45 minutes.
    That IS annoying. Seriously, though. What is up with this plague of generators at campsites these days?! I grew up camping and still love doing it, and I have NEVER once wanted/needed electricity when camping. People not using coolers with ice anymore and using full size fridges? LED tech is good enough now where you can run a lantern all weekend on batteries or use an old school propane lantern if allowed. Flashlights same thing. IF you even have your phone on you (I usually shut mine off but have it with me in case of emergency), you could always just charge via your car. I mean what are so many people doing that they have to run generators all weekend? I really am at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    That IS annoying. Seriously, though. What is up with this plague of generators at campsites these days?! I grew up camping and still love doing it, and I have NEVER once wanted/needed electricity when camping. People not using coolers with ice anymore and using full size fridges? LED tech is good enough now where you can run a lantern all weekend on batteries or use an old school propane lantern if allowed. Flashlights same thing. IF you even have your phone on you (I usually shut mine off but have it with me in case of emergency), you could always just charge via your car. I mean what are so many people doing that they have to run generators all weekend? I really am at a loss.
    Yeah, drives me crazy. If you really need that kind of power while camping, go to a campground that has hookups. The rest of us are at a CG without hookups because we don't need the juice. And we don't want to hear your generator.

FWIW, you don't need a generator to run a fridge or lights (we have a camper and camp without hookups all the time; the fridge runs on propane and the batteries handle the lights just fine). You do need it to run the AC, or a microwave, or a TV.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Consumer packaging that requires a vice grip, blow torch and a sawzall to open, and the resulting hand injuries from failed attempts to open them.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    <snip> You do need it to run the AC, or a microwave, or a TV.
    And that's why generators are running all the time.

There is a 2020 model Winnebago that will run heat, ac, microwave, etc for like 10 hours on a Tesla-like battery arrangement. When it gets low, the engine starts automatically (if you want it to), which is quieter than a generator.
    This doesn’t annoy me, and I am intrigued.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190724_185157.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	289396

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190724_185437.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	972.5 KB 
ID:	289397

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Consumer packaging that requires a vice grip, blow torch and a sawzall to open, and the resulting hand injuries from failed attempts to open them.
    This drives me nuts too. Why does a chunk of plastic need to be entombed in a second larger piece of plastic?!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, drives me crazy. If you really need that kind of power while camping, go to a campground that has hookups. The rest of us are at a CG without hookups because we don't need the juice. And we don't want to hear your generator.

FWIW, you don't need a generator to run a fridge or lights (we have a camper and camp without hookups all the time; the fridge runs on propane and the batteries handle the lights just fine). You do need it to run the AC, or a microwave, or a TV.
    Camping should be camping not recreating your home somewhere in the woods 3 hours from your house.

We camped with a group of friends for years and it turned into just what is annoying everyone, TV’s, blenders, laptops, all that BS. My car was loaded with EVERYTHING anyone possibly may want while away, it got so bad I started borrowing a friends truck for these trips.

Finally we woke up and decided camping and this group don’t mix. Now we rent a beach/lake house as a group instead. I’m sure some of our antics are annoying to the neighbors but oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah - I've determined that car-camping is bullshit for the most part. I'll just rent a condo/hotel/motel. If I want to "get away" I'll go backpacking.

I make an exception for Moab.

Need a generator to post on TGR when you’re “camping”.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    There is a special place in hell for people that design packaging.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - I've determined that car-camping is bullshit for the most part. I'll just rent a condo/hotel/motel. If I want to "get away" I'll go backpacking.

Car camping with a tent while mtn biking is a critical component to our American backcountry culture. Everywhere not just Moab.

You can say the same thing about a number of crags.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

And Gooseberry Mesa?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    And Gooseberry Mesa?
    Naw - we stayed in a hotel near Zion, since it's so close to those trails...

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    And Gooseberry Mesa?
    The camping on Gooseberry is definitely better than the riding. Now, that other place in SW Utardia....

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    There is a special place in hell for people that design packaging.
    I’m pretty sure it’s death by a million cuts courtesy of the Chinese.

Why fight a conventional land war when you can cripple our hands one cheap trinket at a time?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Ah yes, the fabled chinese wrapper torture
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<